By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Michael Pachter: "Switch is tracking to sell 13 million this year"

super_etecoon said:
SKMBlake said:

Well it sure doesn't make sense to me the fact that you can say "millions" but have to say "XX million". It's like "here what you have to know about innumerable nouns" "here what you have to know about numerable nouns" "and here the numbers, where all numerable and innumerable nouns don't apply because we said so".

So would you also say 5 hundreds?  or 5 thousands?  

Actually I don't. You've made a very good point.

Around the Network

Remember how he said the PS3 would never catch up to the 360, or how the X1 was going to destroy the PS4?

Yeah.....

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
Remember how he said the PS3 would never catch up to the 360, or how the X1 was going to destroy the PS4?

Yeah.....

This is the thing with him.... sometimes he says resonable things that make sense, and others something wildly outrageous and silly.

His overall track record is wishy washy, hes wrong as often as he is right.

Ive often considered that this must be how can generates buzz, and keeps his name relevant, by saying outrageous things that he knows will make headlines. Whats odd is that this doesnt seemingly hurt his bussiness, being wrong as often as right, saying crazy things somehow works out for him.

JRPGfan said:
Shiken said:

Yeah.....

This is the thing with him.... sometimes he says resonable things that make sense, and others something wildly outrageous and silly.

His overall track record is wishy washy, hes wrong as often as he is right.

Ive often considered that this must be how can generates buzz, and keeps his name relevant, by saying outrageous things that he knows will make headlines. Whats odd is that this doesnt seemingly hurt his bussiness, being wrong as often as right, saying crazy things somehow works out for him.

The only time I have ever seen him right, is when we can already see the data in front of us.  He took a gamble on the Switch's slow 1st half of 18 and made the wrong bet.

Just like he gambled that the success of the 360 would outweigh the botched reveal of the X1.  Then he was right for a while, but only because it was too obvious based on data we already had that the PS4 was destroying the X1.

Nintendo is a hard topic to judge.  Coming off the failure of the WiiU, he was probably looking a for a reason to predict a sales drop.  But then, the success of the Wii proves how u predictable Nintendo's product sales can be.

RolStoppable said:
Pachter is a troll. He knows that what he says is stupid and he says those stupid things because he loves to read his name. He is that much of an attention whore, further proved by having his own show on Gametrailers at some point.

His prefered target are Nintendo fans. That should be easy to figure out when you read through his report card and see his respective grades for PSVR and Switch predictions.

He must feel he gets the best reaction out of Nintendo fans. 

He is a complete and utter Troll and the people who constantly post threads about everything he says are giving him what he wants. 

I'd be fairly confident he gives serious predictions to any companies that pay him. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
RolStoppable said:
Pachter is a troll. He knows that what he says is stupid and he says those stupid things because he loves to read his name. He is that much of an attention whore, further proved by having his own show on Gametrailers at some point.

His prefered target are Nintendo fans. That should be easy to figure out when you read through his report card and see his respective grades for PSVR and Switch predictions.

He is a complete and utter Troll and the people who constantly post threads about everything he says are giving him what he wants. 

I'd be fairly confident he gives serious predictions to any companies that pay him. 

Did you feel that way when he was praising the 360 and saying the PS3 would never catch it or how the X1 was going to destroy the PS4 because of how successful the 360 was?  Or what about how Sony was going to go out of business?

The guy is just a poor analyst, end of story.

Shiken said:
Kerotan said:

Did you feel that way when he was praising the 360 and saying the PS3 would never catch it or how the X1 was going to destroy the PS4 because of how successful the 360 was?  Or what about how Sony was going to go out of business?

The guy is just a poor analyst, end of story.

Yes. At that time us Sony fans were very bitchy so he targeted us for the biggest reaction. 

I just wonder why gamesindustry.biz gave him credit and asked him about his toughts.

I just hate people who can say nonsense all the time and still have an audience. Look at the comments of this video https://youtu.be/6abmXivp-AI

The channel owner is defending Pachter by calling all negative commenters as fanboy and saying Pachter is right because he has data.

I mean, how ? And why ? With a real straight face ?

SKMBlake said:
super_etecoon said:

So would you also say 5 hundreds?  or 5 thousands?  

haha....well thanks.  I wasn't trying to call you out.  I've just seen that expression used here on VGC a bunch and I know english messes a lot of stuff up.  To me it seems very wrong, but i also know that with my limited spanish that I create phrases in spanish that don't work and its because I'm trying to use english rules.  I think the main difference is that in english our nouns don't have to agree with our adjectives.  That creates a whole lot of confusion by itself.  English has taken and stolen from so many languages along the way that we play by our own set of rules and I feel bad for any non-notive speakers trying to learn our frankenstein language. 

super_etecoon said:
SKMBlake said:

haha....well thanks.  I wasn't trying to call you out.  I've just seen that expression used here on VGC a bunch and I know english messes a lot of stuff up.  To me it seems very wrong, but i also know that with my limited spanish that I create phrases in spanish that don't work and its because I'm trying to use english rules.  I think the main difference is that in english our nouns don't have to agree with our adjectives.  That creates a whole lot of confusion by itself.  English has taken and stolen from so many languages along the way that we play by our own set of rules and I feel bad for any non-notive speakers trying to learn our frankenstein language. 

I understand. You point will help me in the future as a memorisation thing, so I won't make the the mistake again.

And I understand how it is hard to write or speak in another language which doesn't work as the same way your native language does. English is my 3rd language and before this one I have 2 other languages that doesn't follow the same rules. Neither does my 5th language actually, which is japanese, and where everything is context.