By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 51 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 17-23, 2018

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

That still leaves tens of millions of older Switches and docks out there that are incompatible with the later models. Plus phasing out the old model means you lose the chance to do a tiered product line like the 3DS with multiple models addressing multiple demographics/niches/price points. It all just sounds a bit messy to me.

Not necessarily as it depends on design for example if smaller model used a new dock like lets say similar to this third party design below the older model switches would still fit in it.

That's a good idea actually, making the "dock" totally different, I did not think of that.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

That still leaves tens of millions of older Switches and docks out there that are incompatible with the later models. Plus phasing out the old model means you lose the chance to do a tiered product line like the 3DS with multiple models addressing multiple demographics/niches/price points. It all just sounds a bit messy to me.

That's where premium or entry level models come further down the line.

When 2DS was released, the original 3DS model was phased out leaving 2DS as the entry level choice and 3DS XL as the premium. When New 3DS XL launched, the original 3DS XL was phased out then when New 2DS XL launched, the New 3DS XL began to be phased out.

Also look at PS4 & XBO. The original models were phased out when the Slim models released and they later received Pro models that co-existed with the Slims.

The same could happen for Switch, this revision would replace the current model and later they could release newer premium & entry level versions.

The 3DS/PS4/XBO did not have the Switch's problem of compatibility with multiple components like the Joycons. I can easily see a parent buying their kid a Switch Lite after his OG Switch was lost/broken and being confused why they can't use their old Joycons/dock with it. Having so many different bits and pieces out there, all of which share the "Switch" name yet not all of which are compatible with each other, just seems like a bad idea.  Few things turn off consumers like confusion. As it is, the Switch is simple and easy to understand, they shouldn't mess with that.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 29 December 2018

Around the Network

Here's how I'd like Switch's cycle hardware to go:

2019-Pro model $329, slightly improved OG model (ie better screen, battery life) for $249

2020- Switch lite (even though I hate the idea of a Switchless Switch, it's a necessary evil to reach 90-100m units) for $169. Price drop on OG model to $199.

2021-An all digital/streaming lite model for $99. Drop price of pro model to $299

2022-Switch 2

Might be a tad bit of a convoluted product line by 2021, but the versatile nature of the Switch provides opportunities to fill several niches. I did omit a tv only version of the Switch, I feel the OG model would be satisfactory enough to fill that market once it reaches $199.

zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:
There were 2 million copies shipped for the initial shipment to Japan. I don't know how much was shipped after that. If you look at the initial sell through #'s the first week they sold through 68.5% the following two weeks they sold the remainder. Which means it is technically sold out and retailers are selling them as they receive them now.

I highly doubt Smash received no further shipments since launch day.

They  certainly got some, but the question is how much. I mean, it's selling like crazy around the world and it's probably approaching 10M sold through very fast, so every shop is certainly requesting additional copies, and I doubt Nintendo has enough stocks for all of them.

xAcEx said:
Eagle367 said:

I'm a rookie and don't understand this stuff. Should I just contact my bank and ask them?

Yes. You need to create an "share-account" at your Bank. After that you can trade with shares for paying a fee. 

The stock is falling since March and its down around 45% from its high this year. 

I bought this week 15 shares for 228€ this week. I think its a good price and Nintendo is paying an attractive dividend .

In the last years I made a lot of money with Ubisoft, EA, Take Two and Activision. 

This is the first Time I bought Nintendo shares.

Thank you for that info. I don't think I'll do it anytime soon since I'm a student but I'll keep it in mind for the future

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

drinkandswim said:
Well considering Super Smash is sold-out in Japan that could be restraining some of the Switch purchases. That could be part of the reason Switch was flat from 50 to 51. I expect there will be a Switch Lite priced at $199 built in controllers handheld only, and a Switch Pro priced at $399 4K Docked 1080P Handheld. $299 for just a new tablet with no Dock and no Joy con's if you just want to upgrade the Tablet portion to the Pro. I think the Lite will release Mid this year and the Pro early 2020.

No. If it's available at amazon.co.jp (like now) it means it's not sold out.

Around the Network

Availability on Amazon is nice but doesnt help last minute Holiday gift purchases.

drinkandswim said:
Availability on Amazon is nice but doesnt help last minute Holiday gift purchases.

While I agree with what you are trying assert. I think it was poor chose of wording. Selling out or supply is being constraint would have been better choice of words than sold out in Japan.

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

Yeah would be tricky tbh as the height of the unit is essentially locked to what the Joycons are, you could possibly make it smaller in length so it's maybe a more square shape instead of rectangle and give the unit its own readjusted dock.

Even having different docks sounds like a recipe for customer confusion to me. Honestly I just think it'd be easier to stick with the size it is now and upgrade/modify other aspects like the screen, storage, battery life, etc.

The Joy Con compatibility issue is very simple to solve: you know the detachable plastic with a grip that we attach to Joy Cons? Nintendo could easily make an accessory like that to make the smaller Joy Cons compatible with OG Switch. Apple did this when they removed the headphone jacks from the iPhones. They would just need to pack it in with the new models (and standalone smaller Joy Cons) to assure everyone has a Joy Con compatible with older Switch models.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Acevil said:
drinkandswim said:

While I agree with what you are trying assert. I think it was poor chose of wording. Selling out or supply is being constraint would have been better choice of words than sold out in Japan.

I agree I could have worded it better! But you get my overall point. Switch sold 280k two weeks in a row. Smash sold 400k two weeks in a row. I think there was definitely some supply issue, at least for Smash.

drinkandswim said:
Acevil said:

I agree I could have worded it better! But you get my overall point. Switch sold 280k two weeks in a row. Smash sold 400k two weeks in a row. I think there was definitely some supply issue, at least for Smash.

Actually switch did that for 3 weeks so i agree