By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 51 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 17-23, 2018

3DS 2012

January-507k
February-313k
March-420k
April-295k
May-239k
June-361k
July-375k
August-410k
Sepember-341k
October-265k
November-612k
December-1358k

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
tak13 said:

I apologize for the''shut up".

So, I know something better than you or other people. 

Keep provoking me...

We're in media create thread ( not widely but merely successful then). 

Show me something that I have written in that thread   which really proves what you accuse me for.

I know the lads are annoying you, but I just want to say i agree with you. 

No offense but it sometimes seems like you'll agree with anybody who casts the Switch in an unfavourable light.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 28 December 2018

tak13 said:
HoangNhatAnh said:

Call me when anyone in Japan use Switch as a home console

We exhausted that topic, see the posts above.

I'm looking forward to the NS lite release! 

Yeah, in Asia, many people use it as handheld, not just JP. NS Lite, huh? In 2020? Maybe, but NS XL come out first is also possible

tak13 said:
curl-6 said:

Apology accepted.

Others have already addressed this at length, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to compare sales curves between a system that's still full price, (30,000 Yen I believe) to one that got a big price cut early on and at this point in its life was half the Switch's price. Naturally the Switch, having yet to receive any price cuts or hardware revisions, won't have hit its stride yet. Once these arrive, things are going to get better for the Switch, not worse.

Then why we do that when it comes to West? Eh?

It is a hybrid system, its price shouldn't be a disadvantage but sadly it is, because some Japanese people don't give a f@ck for home gaming on tv and view it as a handheld- only console at an exorbitant price, therefore there's need for an NS lite. 

What I'm insisting is that 3ds price point isn't a real advantage, it would be if NS was only a portable console. 

NS sales in the west support that! 

Facts that you keep ignoring:

-Like people already stated, 3DS performance in Japan and West are totally different. 3DS become 3rd best selling system ever in Japan, while in US and Europe probably its not even in top 10 best selling systems, 3DS sold similar number in US and Japan, and that tells a lot because every previous Nintendo system sold much more in US compared to Japan.

-Price point is disadvantage when you comparing much lower price point especially with platform that had huge price cut only 6 months after launch with system that still has launch price. Again, why Switch still has launch price point, why Nintendo didnt gave Switch also price cut yet? Simple because Switch has very good sales in Japan also and Nintendo is making huge profit with it in any case, and that wasn't case with 3DS.

Talking about West, Switch actualy like previous Nintendo systems selling much better in West compared to Japan, 3DS is not rule it is actually only Nintendo system that has similar sales in Nintendo historicaly easily biggest market (US) and in Japan (that was always much smaller market than US for Nintendo).

So your agenda that somehow Switch has problem in Japan because 3rd best selling ever system in Japan is selling better in same time period and system that had huge price cut only 6 months after launch, selling better in some time than Switch that still has launch price point, is totally wrong.

Kerotan said: 
tak13 said: 

Keep provoking me...

Show me something that I have written in that thread   which really proves what you accuse me for.

I know the lads are annoying you, but I just want to say i agree with you. Travelling atm so don't have time to say more then that. 

You said more than enough but nothing new from you, you agree with anyone who saying something negative about Nintendo or Switch regardless how weak their arguments or despite they dont have nothing to support their claims.

tak13 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, I was expecting some 300k+ weeks, we didnt got 300k+ weeks but we got 280k weeks 3 times in a row, so not big difference in any case compared to 300k+ week.

Also your claim that "ns has a problem in Japan, which in the long run will become more and more visible" is pure nonsense, Switch has very good sales in Japan in any case and with price cut and revision sales can be only better.

And 350k+ in week 51 right? Voila, 280k and prior to pokemon, smash and bundles release, it had gone yoy down compared to a year that it was supply constrained

NS problem is that while it destroys the way cheaper 3ds in the west and sells as much as 3ds+wii u or even a bit more, which is what is meant to do since it is both handheld and home console for 300$, in Japan it's trailing 3ds for 3m and it will get worse.

What happens untill hat speculative revision or price drop arrives? 

Fortunately, it won't be long till that, there is a rumor about revision releasing in 2019, hopefully it will be an NS lite, it makes more sense... 

You do realize that last year Splatoon 2 was released and supply issues were much weaker in Japan than in the West due to Nintendo cashing in on Japan's Splatoon craze? Add to this that Summer was pretty bare this year, thus not having had much to boost the sales.

Believe me, the only problem the Switch had was a lack of games during Summer which was pretty packed last year. The fact that the Switch only barely fell behind last year despite Splatoon 2 shows that the baseline is becoming high enough to compete with 2017 sales (meaning selling 3M+) without many sales spikes. Add to this that next year won't be anywhere as bare as this year with high profile titles both from Nintendo and big publishers like NSMBUDx, YW4, Yoshi, Fire Emblem, Team Sonic Racing, Crash Team racing, Sword Art Online, Mortal Kombat 11, a flurry of Final Fantasy and Resident Evil games, Daemon X Machina, Luigi's Mansion 3 and of course both Pokemon and Animal Crossing, 2019 is already packed full of games for the Switch in Japan.

I said before that I don't think Switch next year will beat 3DS 2013 in Japan. However, I believe Switch won't be far off the mark imo. According to VGChartz, 3DS sold 5M in Japan in 2013, and I believe the Switch will achieve 4.5M next year, which is much more than the console did this or last year. In 2014, 3DS however sold only 3M anymore due to having spent most of it's pricecutting potential early on. While Switch might sell less than 2019 (We'll have to see what happens until then I guess), I firmly believe it will sell more than those 3M of the 3DS, and also outsell the old handheld each following year, and total sales should end up in a similar ballpark

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Just checked and nope. The cut was on week to August 14, and except a Shin Megami Tensei early September and and Senran Kagura late September, the lineup was really bare of anything even just a little notable (meaning over 30k FW sales) until Super Mario 3D Land early November. However, even though there was a big game drought, the sales were a lot higher than they were before the cut. In other words, the cut made the sales, not any new games.

How much higher? I'm curious to see the weekly sales in the first 2 months after the price cut since as you said there weren't any big releases at the time.

Before: around 25k Weekly, even being beaten regularly by the PSP, and both the aging Wii and PS3 took some potshots.

After: Around 55k Weekly, alone in front by a wide margin

And the first 4 weeks after the cut were between 50k and 150k, slowly normalizing around the aforementioned 50k

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 28 December 2018

Something related to current topic

People need to realise that despite Switch has handheld hardware and people look in Japan on Switch mostly like handheld, Switch and Switch games have price point of home consoles not of handhelds and definitely effects on sales on market like Japan where people look at Switch like handheld.

Miyamotoo said:

Something related to current topic

People need to realise that despite Switch has handheld hardware and people look in Japan on Switch mostly like handheld, Switch and Switch games have price point of home consoles not of handhelds and definitely effects on sales on market like Japan where people look at Switch like handheld.

and still one week left for the switch, it will easily top 1M

curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

I know the lads are annoying you, but I just want to say i agree with you. 

No offense but it sometimes seems like you'll agree with anybody who casts the Switch in an unfavourable light.

No offence taken 

Kerotan said:
tak13 said:

Keep provoking me...

I know the lads are annoying you, but I just want to say i agree with you. Travelling atm so don't have time to say more then that. 

I know the guys are bothering you, but I just want to say I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's 4 AM so I have no time to say anymore at the moment.