By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 51 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - December 17-23, 2018

So Switch is selling faster than everything except DS, 3DS, GBA and Wii in Japan? And is about to pass Wii?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
So Switch is selling faster than everything except DS, 3DS, GBA and Wii in Japan? And is about to pass Wii?

Correct.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:

curl-6 said:

If I had to guess I'd say the most likely Switch revision is a Deluxe/XL type deal with a bigger/better quality screen.

The current Switch is the Deluxe/XL version of the console, so it makes a lot more sense to go for a smaller size of the console, coupled with better battery life.

Seriously, what's the point of going bigger, or more powerful which is another commonly voiced idea? Switch holds a monopoly in the portable console market, so there's nothing better than it anyway. And on the TV side, it's nonsensical to engage in a power battle because Switch has to remain portable.

How do you make the Switch significantly smaller without breaking compatibility with the dock and Joycons?

curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

The current Switch is the Deluxe/XL version of the console, so it makes a lot more sense to go for a smaller size of the console, coupled with better battery life.

Seriously, what's the point of going bigger, or more powerful which is another commonly voiced idea? Switch holds a monopoly in the portable console market, so there's nothing better than it anyway. And on the TV side, it's nonsensical to engage in a power battle because Switch has to remain portable.

How do you make the Switch significantly smaller without breaking compatibility with the dock and Joycons?

Yeah would be tricky tbh as the height of the unit is essentially locked to what the Joycons are, you could possibly make it smaller in length so it's maybe a more square shape instead of rectangle and give the unit its own readjusted dock.

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah would be tricky tbh as the height of the unit is essentially locked to what the Joycons are, you could possibly make it smaller in length so it's maybe a more square shape instead of rectangle and give the unit its own readjusted dock.

Even having different docks sounds like a recipe for customer confusion to me. Honestly I just think it'd be easier to stick with the size it is now and upgrade/modify other aspects like the screen, storage, battery life, etc.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

I dont think he said anything about being significantly smaller, something like DS to DS Lite would suffice.

DS

Weight-9.7oz

Height-3.33in

Width-5.85in

Depth-1.14in

Display-3.0in

Backlight-On/Off

Battery-850mAh

DS Lite

Weight-7.7oz

Height-2.91in

Width-5.20in

Depth-0.86in

Display-3.12in

Backlight-4 levels brightness

Battery-1000mAh

DS Lite was just a slightly smaller/sleeker design with a higher quality screen and better battery.

As for dock, the new model can have its own separate dock from the original model. Joy-cons are a but more tricky though.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

curl-6 said:
Wyrdness said:

Even having different docks sounds like a recipe for customer confusion to me. Honestly I just think it'd be easier to stick with the size it is now and upgrade/modify other aspects like the screen, storage, battery life, etc.

When this new model releases, the older model and older dock would likely be phased out which is common when new models release so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

When this new model releases, the older model and older dock would likely be phased out which is common when new models release so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

That still leaves tens of millions of older Switches and docks out there that are incompatible with the later models. Plus phasing out the old model means you lose the chance to do a tiered product line like the 3DS with multiple models addressing multiple demographics/niches/price points. It all just sounds a bit messy to me.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

That still leaves tens of millions of older Switches and docks out there that are incompatible with the later models. Plus phasing out the old model means you lose the chance to do a tiered product line like the 3DS with multiple models addressing multiple demographics/niches/price points. It all just sounds a bit messy to me.

Not necessarily as it depends on design for example if smaller model used a new dock like lets say similar to this third party design below the older model switches would still fit in it.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

That's where premium or entry level models come further down the line.

When 2DS was released, the original 3DS model was phased out leaving 2DS as the entry level choice and 3DS XL as the premium. When New 3DS XL launched, the original 3DS XL was phased out then when New 2DS XL launched, the New 3DS XL began to be phased out.

Also look at PS4 & XBO. The original models were phased out when the Slim models released and they later received Pro models that co-existed with the Slims.

The same could happen for Switch, this revision would replace the current model and later they could release newer premium & entry level versions.