By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One Reaches 40 Million Total Sales

Congrats! 

Around the Network

The Xbox One X is a fantastic console, bought it 3 weeks ago.

It‘s the strong, silent and small system I was looking for for several years, but way cheaper than comparable small PCs (such as Alienware Alpha R2).

Backwards Compatiblity on Xbox One is unparalled on consoles, currently playing The Witcher 2, next up are RDR 1 and Lost Odyssey, among others.

I hope the One X will be around for a few more years and convince more people. The system deserves to sell another 20 to 40 million.

Not bad.

PAOerfulone said:
DonFerrari said:

Half of the bad things on the reveal of X1 was solved before it launched, so to credit it for they losing half the sales on a 5 year time is ludicrous.

PS4 sold on first year about 15M so much less than 160 total of PS2, so nope, we didn't have everyone immediatelly jumping ship.

Aligned PS3 outsold X360 every year as far as I remember. Considering PS3 sold half of PS2 the reveal and time took to reach market price hurt PS3 a lot. And considering The most relevant markets for X360 (USA and UK) it was actually ahead of X360 for like 3 years the reveal had little impact, they lost WW and that would happen no matter what, because PS4 was going to do great.

1) As I already said, the damage was already done. The Xbox brand was brutally tarnished and it has still not fully recovered. From the reveal onwards, even after Microsoft reversed all of their policies, the Xbox One was almost universally viewed as the inferior console to the PS4. It's fate had already been decided.

2) I honestly don't know what you were expecting here? The PS4 to sell half the PS2's lifetime totals in one year? Of course not everyone is going to jump ship, but everyone could see what this reveal would do in the long term.  Besides, the PS3's peak year, 2011, was ~ 14.5-15 million. So the fact that the PS4 managed to sell those same numbers in its first year, with a more expensive $399 price tag and a significantly weaker library, goes to show that while not everyone jumped on board the train, everyone knew where the train was headed. As of now, the PS4 is on track to sell around 120 million worldwide, minimum. FARRR above the PS3, which it is about to blow right through once Black Friday numbers drop.

3) You lost me here. What are trying to say? That the PS3 was outselling the 360 every year? That's literally what I just said. Because as I stated in an earlier comment, PlayStation was & is a far bigger, more popular brand and name than Xbox. They were coming off the PS1 and PS2, two massively successful consoles that both sold over 100 million with a legacy and reputation.
That the Xbox One was going to sell less than the PS4 regardless? Again, that's literally what I just said. The difference being it would be much closer and the Xbox One would be selling better, the PS4 would be selling worse, and it isn't a bloodbath right from the start.

1) You shouldn't let forum fool you neither population memory. 5 years later and reveal is still pounding X1 around? Nope. Lack of games made much worse besides outside of USA and UK Xbox is a joke. PS3 was considered inferior to X360 (plus always more expensive) for like 3-4 years before the first parties showed it was stronger.

2) Of course I didn't expect it, but it just show that is silly to assume "they all jumped ship" even more when X1 have more sales than Xbox og.

3) aligned is different than what you were looking at. When you say 2006 or 2008 you are saying how much either sold on that year. Aligned we say year 1 or year 3.

Sorry it wouldn't make much of a difference. Xbox didn't drop that much in USA and UK (for like 3 years it was even ahead of X360), they lost WW, where even if they had made a better showing wouldn't change much or do you have a good explanation for their drop in USA and UK being small compared to RoW (let's not even talk about Japan). Or their image on the reveal on USA didn't affect USA but affected RoW?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Good sales. It's going at a steady pace.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network

Overall, solid numbers. Still not what MS would be hoping for by this time. If they didn't have that terrible reveal/PR in 2013, who knows how this gen would have turned out. Sony likely would have won, but it would've been closer. MS had a hard pill to swallow this gen. At least like they are on the right track going forward.

DonFerrari said:

PS3 had a much worse reveal, price and time to cut down costs... still outsold the competitor that had more time on the market, more games available upfront, lower price and all.

Not even close man. Sony's was like, them lighting the kitchen on fire, but putting it out before it got too out of hand. While MS tried to use oil (Don Mattrick) to put the fire out, but made it worse, and had to call the fire department (Phil Spencer) to put it out. That is probably a terrible analogy, but my point is, MS was worse. 

Good numbers and likely 55+ million lifetime which is great considering the start and the competition. I was a pessimist when this generation started but Sony, MS and Nintendo proved me wrong in that the sales for the generation are quite healthy despite increased competition from PC and mobile.

smroadkill15 said:
Overall, solid numbers. Still not what MS would be hoping for by this time. If they didn't have that terrible reveal/PR in 2013, who knows how this gen would have turned out. Sony likely would have won, but it would've been closer. MS had a hard pill to swallow this gen. At least like they are on the right track going forward.

They didn't drop much on their main markets (USA and UK), in fact they tracked ahead on those for about 3 years, so how would you explain almost zero impact on their main markets with they dropping dead everywhere else? Did only people outside of USA and UK watch the presentation?

smroadkill15 said:
DonFerrari said:

PS3 had a much worse reveal, price and time to cut down costs... still outsold the competitor that had more time on the market, more games available upfront, lower price and all.

Not even close man. Sony's was like, them lighting the kitchen on fire, but putting it out before it got too out of hand. While MS tried to use oil (Don Mattrick) to put the fire out, but made it worse, and had to call the fire department (Phil Spencer) to put it out. That is probably a terrible analogy, but my point is, MS was worse. 

They took several years to be able to put the price on market acceptance while never being cheaper than X360. X1 solved most of the issues even before release (always online, DRM, TV, etc), had more exclusives at launch and before even 1 year in the market always sold cheaper than PS4.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

And yet even when the price was beyond “market acceptance”, the PS3 was still on pace from day one to outsell the 360. So clearly Sony didn’t fuck it up that badly. They’d built up a big enough fan base with the PS1 and PS2 that even a big flub like that launch price was not that big of a deal.

And no, MS didn’t solve most of their issues before launch. Their biggest market is the US and even years after launch it wasn’t uncommon here for people to think the Xbox could not play used games and that you couldn’t rent games out of Redbox etc or sell your old games. The gen was destroyed for MS by their own blunder combined with Sony playing it very safe and perfect in response.