By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First DLC Character for Smash Ultimate: Joker from Persona 5!!!

I was in the car with some friends when they made the announcement. I was in disbelief. I refused to believe it until the very end. This reveal just shows that anything goes for the DLC. I am preparing for Goku now XD

Don't let memes be dreams

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Honestly Rex is not a more interesting character in the sense of an addition to Smash. He's annoying in his own game and he'd just be a Shulk clone. 

Well, I wouldn't say he'd be a Shulk clone. Put Pyra & Mythra with him somehow, and that'd make for a unique and interesting character.

Are we talking about what he would be in Xenoblade or in Smash? cause based on how a lot of smash characters are developed, I'd say he'd at least be a half clone of Shulk, even if he ended up having a few different mechanics. 

That's just dumb. There are dozens of characters that would have been better picks. The high amount of characters is getting more and more of a downside imo, they make the chances that you fight against actually notable characters way smaller.

Why are we giving crap on a Persona character (a rather popular one at that) when we had Snake and Cloud join Smash Bros.? Hell, Cloud was not only on a PS title, FFVII, but the game he came from symbolized the divorce between Nintendo and Square Soft and Square’s commitment to the PlaySation. I’m surprised people didn’t get mad over that compared to this.

And regardless, I have a hard time thinking anyone should be mad about this. I mean, wasn’t Persona 5 one of the most popular games in this gen?

Plus, Nintendo AND Sakurai chose Joker. This isn’t just Sakurai’s choice. Nintendo laid out a pool of characters they wanted Sakurai to choose from. So why did Nintendo decided to add him on their list?

Anyway, I’m pretty stoked about Joker in Smash. My sibling is ecstatic as a Persona fan. This makes the upcoming DLC more unpredictable, which I think adds to the fun.

Super_Boom said:
ARamdomGamer said:
I'm really disappointed. Almost legit pissed.

Same here. I loved Persona 5, but this character could not feel more out of of place out if he tried. Especially after Rex and Lloyd Irving, infinitely more interesting characters, got relegated to costumes, while the silent avatar from a game with no history on Nintendo gets a full character. 

Honestly at this point I'm expecting the next few DLC choices to just be weird crap to make waves on social media. Getting ready for Fortnight characters, Shrek, and Goku.

Personally, I think Joker is a great addition to Smash Bros. I may be a bit biased because I enjoyed Persona 5 a lot, though.

That's a strange expectation imo because Shrek and Goku are not video game characters. Sakurai had made it clear that they have to originate from a video game to be eligible for Smash Bros. Shrek and Goku would have no chance of being in Smash Bros because of that.

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:

Well, I wouldn't say he'd be a Shulk clone. Put Pyra & Mythra with him somehow, and that'd make for a unique and interesting character.

Are we talking about what he would be in Xenoblade or in Smash? cause based on how a lot of smash characters are developed, I'd say he'd at least be a half clone of Shulk, even if he ended up having a few different mechanics. 

I think you’re being a little closed minded on this. Look at the more recent newcomers instead of the Melee’s and Brawls of the world. Ryu, Simon, Bayonetta, Incineroar, King K. Rool, and Inklings present pretty unique movesets that aren’t your typical Smash character. I think Sakurai can whip up something unique when he puts his mind to it.

Kai_Mao said:

I think you’re being a little closed minded on this. Look at the more recent newcomers instead of the Melee’s and Brawls of the world. Ryu, Simon, Bayonetta, Incineroar, King K. Rool, and Inklings present pretty unique movesets that aren’t your typical Smash character. I think Sakurai can whip up something unique when he puts his mind to it.

A little close minded on this? A lot of Ultimate's newcomers are half clones .... 

Common, atlus. bring persona to switch.
Now Nintendo fans want it more then ever. Easy money.

We don't bother SMT4 being timed exclusive and going to ps4 too later.

Nautilus said:
Man, they blew me away with this announcement.The sky is truly the limit for the next characters.

And I mean, this MUST mean that Persona 5 is also comming to the Switch.Right?

Nope. Remember Solid Snake and Cloud in Smash.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Nautilus said:
Man, they blew me away with this announcement.The sky is truly the limit for the next characters.

And I mean, this MUST mean that Persona 5 is also comming to the Switch.Right?

Nope. Remember Solid Snake and Cloud in Smash.

Well Switch is getting FF7, also that MGS maybe later come to Switch.