By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - First DLC Character for Smash Ultimate: Joker from Persona 5!!!

What can I say?
I saw it coming.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
twintail said:
Good get, boring trailer.

but I do think its funny how a character with no connection to Nintendo (and an IP that isn't associated with them) have a character.

Funny you say that when joker just had a game on the 3ds last week xD

Faelco said:
twintail said:
Good get, boring trailer.

but I do think its funny how a character with no connection to Nintendo (and an IP that isn't associated with them) have a character.

Because of that, I understand why some Nintendo fans would hate that announcement. 

PQ2

melbye said:
Don't like it. A character with hnoistory on Nintendo doesn't belong in Smash

Persona Q2 says hi.

RingoGaSuki said:

Eh. If this isn't coupled with a release of Persona on Switch, then it's a thumbs down from me. I want characters who either have Nintendo history or are at least in games coming to the system

See my first comment above.

Super_Boom said:

Same here. I loved Persona 5, but this character could not feel more out of of place out if he tried. Especially after Rex and Lloyd Irving, infinitely more interesting characters, got relegated to costumes, while the silent avatar from a game with no history on Nintendo gets a full character. 

Honestly at this point I'm expecting the next few DLC choices to just be weird crap to make waves on social media. Getting ready for Fortnight characters, Shrek, and Goku.

1) As much as I love Rex, Joker is a more interesting character in my eyes. He's without question the more popular character from a more critically acclaimed and financial successful game. And in my personal opinion, after playing both, the far superior game.
2) Refer to my 1st comment above.

The "Association with Nintendo" argument died when Snake was revealed for Brawl. Since then, out of the 71 characters (not counting Echo fighters) revealed for this game, 9 of them are 3rd party characters and you can bet your asses that number is going to grow from here.

This is not 2001 anymore. Smash Bros. has loooong evolved from being just a celebration of Nintendo. It's a celebration of all gaming now.

Around the Network
Faelco said:

Did they already put Geralt and the MC from FF15? 

Not yet, but we can probably expect them after we get Kratos from God of War, Sly Cooper, the fat boy from Darling in the Franxx, and my cat in a business suit. 

Everyone is here!

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Super_Boom said:
ARamdomGamer said:
I'm really disappointed. Almost legit pissed.

Same here. I loved Persona 5, but this character could not feel more out of of place out if he tried. Especially after Rex and Lloyd Irving, infinitely more interesting characters, got relegated to costumes, while the silent avatar from a game with no history on Nintendo gets a full character. 

Honestly at this point I'm expecting the next few DLC choices to just be weird crap to make waves on social media. Getting ready for Fortnight characters, Shrek, and Goku.

Honestly Rex is not a more interesting character in the sense of an addition to Smash. He's annoying in his own game and he'd just be a Shulk clone. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Super_Boom said:

Honestly Rex is not a more interesting character in the sense of an addition to Smash. He's annoying in his own game and he'd just be a Shulk clone. 

Well, I wouldn't say he'd be a Shulk clone. Put Pyra & Mythra with him somehow, and that'd make for a unique and interesting character.

PAOerfulone said: 

1) As much as I love Rex, Joker is a more interesting character in my eyes. He's without question the more popular character from a more critically acclaimed and financial successful game. And in my personal opinion, after playing both, the far superior game.
2) Refer to my 1st comment above.

I enjoyed Xenoblade 2 a lot more than Persona 5, but that's personal preference. I don't really see how an avatar is more interesting than an established character though...I honestly can't think of a single thing the MC did that really left an impact on me other than nod and make a random response every once in a while.  

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Not sure how he'd be a Shulk clone...given he doesn't have Monado power-ups and he relies on a partner to fight. He'd probably be closer to an Ice Climber character, but even that would be a stretch with his weapon.

Personally I thought he was a fantastic character with an awesome development arc...but I get that not everyone likes his character type.