By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday NPD 2018

colafitte said:
Miyamotoo said:

Actually Wii had 800k week in 2018. so Switch selling more than that in single week is very impressive in any case.

Here is most likely problem because we trying to compare NPD data with Nintendo internal data.

I think you mean 2008, and no, Switch did not sell as much as Wii. You're still don't understanding what i say. BF week is always from monday to black friday. Nintendo is using here thursday from that BF week until Cyber Monday next week. That 5 period days is not the same. Saturday and Sunday sales drop a lot and are not comparable to any day from monday to friday.

I don't think these numbers switch over wii matter that much as a company could play around with numbers easily, it say Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday, wii was probably long sold out  before thanks giving. what really matters most is the 8.2 million number.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
colafitte said:

Really?, Black Friday sales have always been Monday to Friday, being Friday the biggest day of them all back in 2008 not so much in recent years thanks to online shoping like Amazon. Saturday and Sunday post BF being a huge drop in sales ALWAYS, and Cyber Monday only being relevant in recent years, but still nothing comparable to anything coming from Monday to Friday combined the week before.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving are higher selling days than the Saturday, Sunday and Monday after Thanksgiving?

I will tell you that the PS4 this year sold a ton more those days than it did from Thanksgiving to Cyber Monday. Because that's when there was actually stock. The Wii wasn't a particularly well-stocked unit and constantly sold out during sales if I recall correctly.

SpokenTruth said:
colafitte said:

Really?, Black Friday sales have always been Monday to Friday, being Friday the biggest day of them all back in 2008 not so much in recent years thanks to online shoping like Amazon. Saturday and Sunday post BF being a huge drop in sales ALWAYS, and Cyber Monday only being relevant in recent years, but still nothing comparable to anything coming from Monday to Friday combined the week before.

Are you seriously trying to tell me that Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving are higher selling days than the Saturday, Sunday and Monday after Thanksgiving?

Go look up any list of busiest shopping days of the year.  You'll find Saturday and Cyber Monday on those lists but you won't find the preceding Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Compared to Wii back in 2008, which is what Nintendo is comparing Switch for, definitively yes....Wii was sold out or almost after those fridays always. And compared to PS4, yes again, we know that Switch sold more than PS4 that Friday in Black Friday week last year and PS4 still sold more that week and that month (a lot more in fact) than Switch. There's a reason why Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo started using BF week this gen (monday to friday) as their way to show sales, not the next days. 

colafitte said:
SpokenTruth said:

Go look up any list of busiest shopping days of the year.  You'll find Saturday and Cyber Monday on those lists but you won't find the preceding Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

Compared to Wii back in 2008, which is what Nintendo is comparing Switch for, definitively yes....Wii was sold out or almost after those fridays always. And compared to PS4, yes again, we know that Switch sold more than PS4 that Friday in Black Friday week last year and PS4 still sold more that week and that month (a lot more in fact) than Switch. There's a reason why Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo started using BF week this gen (monday to friday) as their way to show sales, not the next days. 

Actually, they used Black Friday week last generation. I believe It was because NPD data provided them the information and NPD group itself use to give out the information. So they didn't have to provide internal numbers. 

Also Sony's PR for Black Friday last year, was not for the week at all, but just for the day. 

Acevil said:
colafitte said:

Actually, they used Black Friday week last generation. I believe It was because NPD data provided them the information and NPD group itself use to give out the information. So they didn't have to provide internal numbers. 

Also Sony's PR for Black Friday last year, was not for the week at all, but just for the day. 

OK, but if they use a period of days, they choose the days i say, not the others. Nintendo is probably using this period now because is the only thing that really is better than last year. Is like expecting more sales 26, 27, 28 December than in 22, 23, 24 December. People don't wait to buy after the day, and if they can choose, they buy as earlier as they can. That's why sales from monday to friday are bigger than in saturday, sunday and monday (even with CM).

The only fact (as much a fact can be...XD) is the 8'2M sold comment. Those are official numbers and are as trustworthy as when they say Pokemon sold 1'5M in 3 days or Sony saying Spiderman sold 3'3M in 3 days. There's no reason at all to doubt them.

Around the Network

Lol.....

I think people are getting this confused. And for good reason because of how nintendo worded its PR. Which is what any good PR should do. Skew the facts.

Here is what we can confirm.

1. The 100%+ increase nintendo is talking about is not for a week. Its for a window between of 5 days. That covers BF ad CM.

2. That window of 5 days is their best selling yet. so while this has obviously set a record, its not the same thing as saying is better than or matches the full week sales of any of their previous consoles. But we know that if looking at those 5 days for any of their consoles the NS will win.

3. Saying it did 100%+ over last year tells us shit all. what did it do exactly during those 5 days last year? Does anyone know? It could have done 100k, 200k or 300k..... no one knows. But we know it more than doubled last years sales. NOT FOR THE WEEK, but specifically for those 5 days.

4. This does not also mean it has sold 1.1M, 1.2M or 1.4M for the month of november. Because there is no way for us to know what it was selling like before those 5 days and what its gonna sell like after that.

My estimates for the NS for the whole month of Nov was around 1.3M I think. Or was it 1.2M? If feel with how things are playing out now that is where its going to fall.

Patiently waiting on numbers and concrete info!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

SpokenTruth said:
colafitte said:

OK, but if they use a period of days, they choose the days i say, not the others. Nintendo is probably using this period now because is the only thing that really is better than last year. Is like expecting more sales 26, 27, 28 December than in 22, 23, 24 December. People don't wait to buy after the day, and if they can choose, they buy as earlier as they can. That's why sales from monday to friday are bigger than in saturday, sunday and monday (even with CM).

The only fact (as much a fact can be...XD) is the 8'2M sold comment. Those are official numbers and are as trustworthy as when they say Pokemon sold 1'5M in 3 days or Sony saying Spiderman sold 3'3M in 3 days. There's no reason at all to doubt them.

I keep telling you to look it up and you don't so I'm going to have to do it for you.  Show me a Mon, Tues or Wed prior to BF on these lists.  But there is the Sat after.

https://www.lotlinx.com/vintenders-blog/busiest-shopping-days-year-next-two-months
https://esellercafe.com/black-friday-tops-the-list-of-busiest-shopping-days-of-2018/
https://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/articles/2017-11-16/your-guide-to-the-biggest-holiday-shopping-days-of-2017
https://risnews.com/which-shopping-days-will-be-busiest-2017-and-who-shopping-them
https://footwearnews.com/2018/business/retail/holiday-shopping-busiest-days-2018-1202680093/

Maybe with everything else, you are right, but we are talking consoles here, and with consoles there is the problem with stock every year, all of them put 90% of their stock for the week, until BF. Technology works different, and in this case, console gaming.

And I forgot to add....

About it having the best week FOR SWITCH.

This also means nothing when we have no numbers to compare it to.

I see no reason for nintendo to lie about the 8.2 million number in a very detailed article via business wire, switch will end  up 800-950k for november book it.