By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday NPD 2018

SpokenTruth said:
colafitte said:

And how many was that last year??, 25k?, 50k?, 75k?. This is not BF week we are talking about, this is Nov 22 thursday to Nov 26 monday....

8'2M sold in USA aocording to last data received by Nintendo until 26 Nov. That means 900k for the month of November until Nov 26 with a week left. That the "weak" numbers that you can agree or not. 

What do you mean Nov 22 - 26 last year didn't include Black Friday?  BF 2017 was the 24th.

I meant 25k, 50k, 75k just for Cyber Monday, sorry.

When you hear about BF sales in recent years they mean Monday to Black Friday week. That's where the most sales come from November, not the 3 o 4 days after BF day, even with CM.

The Wii records made in BF were during that week, and those records are still unmatched by Switch. 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Nintendo said best selling week even better than Wii week, and Wii had one 700k week for that time period,
so this mean that Switch sold more than 700k in that week.

That Wii number is from Monday to BF. that 115% is from thursday to monday. Yes it counts the Friday day from BF, but is not the same comparison as that 700k for Wii. Sales from Monday to Black Friday are way bigger than Thursday to Cyber Monday.

colafitte said:
SpokenTruth said:

What do you mean Nov 22 - 26 last year didn't include Black Friday?  BF 2017 was the 24th.

I meant 25k, 50k, 75k just for Cyber Monday, sorry.

When you hear about BF sales in recent years they mean Monday to Black Friday week. That's where the most sales come from November, not the 3 o 4 days after BF day, even with CM.

The Wii records made in BF were during that week, and those records are still unmatched by Switch. 

good catch.  switch will probably end up selling 1 million total with cyber monday, ps4 will beat it by 850k this year. december i see switch doing 1.2-1.4 million.

colafitte said:
Miyamotoo said:
Nintendo said best selling week even better than Wii week, and Wii had one 700k week for that time period,
so this mean that Switch sold more than 700k in that week.

That Wii number is from Monday to BF. that 115% is from thursday to monday. Yes it counts the Friday day from BF, but is not the same comparison as that 700k for Wii. Sales from Monday to Black Friday are way bigger than Thursday to Cyber Monday.

Actually Wii had 800k week in 2018. so Switch selling more than that in single week is very impressive in any case.

Here is most likely problem because we trying to compare NPD data with Nintendo internal data.

SpokenTruth said:
colafitte said:

Citation please.  That sounds incredibly counter to just about everything.

Really?, Black Friday sales have always been Monday to Friday, being Friday the biggest day of them all back in 2008 not so much in recent years thanks to online shoping like Amazon. Saturday and Sunday post BF being a huge drop in sales ALWAYS, and Cyber Monday only being relevant in recent years, but still nothing comparable to anything coming from Monday to Friday combined the week before.

Around the Network

last time we got LTD numbers from the same exact source in the US, they were pretty accurate.

I think the fact NPD tracking takes in cyber Monday this year will throw everything out from the last few years. The weekend after black Friday have been a huge chunk of December's total sales. I wouldn't be surprised if December reflected down this year, if November ends up a case of Switch up a little and the other two flat with those extra important days added on top. It seems pre results we might just see an average but solid holiday period for everyone.

I still don't get why Sony doesn't run the deals for all of December instead of Xmas week. No wonder it's December sales take an hit, because I don't know a single person anymore who at very least does not have at least the main presents bought by then. Here's hoping so much of the doom and gloom doesn't reflect in the actual numbers and that our fantastic hobby sees new growth healthy everywhere.

Miyamotoo said:
colafitte said:

Actually Wii had 800k week in 2018. so Switch selling more than that in single week is very impressive in any case.

Here is most likely problem because we trying to compare NPD data with Nintendo internal data.

I think you mean 2008, and no, Switch did not sell as much as Wii. You're still don't understanding what i say. BF week is always from monday to black friday. Nintendo is using here thursday from that BF week until Cyber Monday next week. That 5 period days is not the same. Saturday and Sunday sales drop a lot and are not comparable to any day from monday to friday.

colafitte said:
SpokenTruth said:

Citation please.  That sounds incredibly counter to just about everything.

Really?, Black Friday sales have always been Monday to Friday, being Friday the biggest day of them all back in 2008 not so much in recent years thanks to online shoping like Amazon. Saturday and Sunday post BF being a huge drop in sales ALWAYS, and Cyber Monday only being relevant in recent years, but still nothing comparable to anything coming from Monday to Friday combined the week before.

Actually I disagree, typically crazy bulk game sales happened on the 5 day weekend of Black Friday. Namely when sales report come out about economic impact of Black Friday, it is for the weekend. 

Acevil said:
colafitte said:

Actually I disagree, typically crazy bulk game sales happened on the 5 day weekend of Black Friday. Namely when sales report come out about economic impact of Black Friday, it is for the weekend. 

Of course, because they count that Friday. You can say you sold 1M in black friday weekend and still be 800k just in that Friday (just an example). But now, they start selling their BF deals before Friday, and you have the case with PS4 where they came to that Friday almost sold out. With Switch (i'm not saying Wii era), like any recent console, it happens something similar, they start selling their bundle before that friday and sold the most during the week.