By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Disc-less XB1 Releasing In 2019

I think it's a good idea.

Around the Network

Lets see how this goes. The last time something like this happened, retailers stubbornly rejected it (psp go).

At the same time though, we are 10 years removed from that now. Lets see what happens.

A super slim normal model would be nice too. Lets just hope they dont cheap out on it like xbox 360 e, and ps3 super slim.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

This can only be bad news. This is Micro&soft trying to take smalls steps to make their Xbox one reveal happen again. Don't think for a minute that if all games become digital they will allow you to share them, sell them, or even keep them when the services go down in a couple of decades. Greedy corporations trying to fuck their consumers and there are people who will defend this and say it is great for whatever effing reason.

This is the direction the industry is eventually headed, so better to test the waters now and see how the public responds. Didn't think Microsoft would be the first ones to take that leap though.

Bandorr said:
Don't understand this what so ever.

First if you already have an XB1 - why would you get a disc less one?
Why would you have a pile of physical games if you don't already have an XB1?

The xb1's that cost $300 usually come with a game. So will the $200 ones come with a game?

Plus you can easily wait for a discount on the XB1, and XB1s for them to drop to $200 or lower.

So what do you gain by giving up an option of using discs?

You don't gain anything. You lose UHB Bluray capability. MS earns a new only digital customer though, unable to sell your used games of course.
The X1S will also get a revision btw, so in the end the difference will likely be 50 dollars, not 100.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 16 November 2018

Around the Network

I think this is smart. Sony would be wise to follow suit.

Lol, a lower price point might be a nice bonus for Microsoft but c'mon, this is entirely about eliminating the used games market, the decades old wet dream of these console manufacturers. They're just easing us into it.

They can keep game prices artificially high by controlling supply and preventing reuse. They get a piece of every game purchase, whereas right now they get nothing from said used games swapping hands.

It won't happen overnight as there's still physical games out there, but they're looking to get us accustomed to the new reality.

Bandorr said:
Don't understand this what so ever.

First if you already have an XB1 - why would you get a disc less one?
Why would you have a pile of physical games if you don't already have an XB1?

The xb1's that cost $300 usually come with a game. So will the $200 ones come with a game?

Plus you can easily wait for a discount on the XB1, and XB1s for them to drop to $200 or lower.

So what do you gain by giving up an option of using discs?

They are testing the waters for next gen by releasing a more affordable disc-less console. There are plenty of gamers out there who only buy digital and that number is growing.  If you have an Xbox and you want to trade in for a disc-less version, you can. Say, you have a physical copy of a game you still play regularly, but don't want to trade it in for pennies, they can trade it in for a digital copy instead. It's just another option. Most aren't going to make that transition(like myself), but why not make it available for those who do? 

Most Xbox consoles bundled with a game, come with a digital code, so that won't change. Chances are, GamePass and Xbox Live will be bundled with the game. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 16 November 2018

I'm going to laugh my ass off if Microsoft shoots themself in the foot again next gen by going all-digital.

thismeintiel said:
I'm going to laugh my ass off if Microsoft shoots themself in the foot again next gen by going all-digital.

Nah, they learned that lesson. They still have the same goal though, trying to lure us in, but doing it more intelligently this time. 

pitzy272 said: 
I think this is smart. Sony would be wise to follow suit.

If it's an option it's ok. Not sure it really is smart though, considering game sizes next gen will be 100-150 GB easily.