By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Disc-less XB1 Releasing In 2019

I don't see why anyone is excited about this. If you wanted a discless console, why don't you just superglue your drive shut?

Around the Network

Thats how i currently use my consoles and pc so i dont see why not, you old folks get with the times

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I think this console would appeal more to late buyers who will want a lot of Xbox Live Arcade titles rather than current Xbox owners who already own the system. The system has so many classic Sega arcade games, classic arcades games and compilations from other companies, backward compatible Xbox and Xbox 360 games and more. This is one are where I think Xbox One outdoes the PS4. I don't think potential buyers would use the console exclusively for that purpose, but if many of them already have a PS4, that would most likely remain as their main platform. I would like to know how much storage this thing has.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Bandorr said:
Don't understand this what so ever.

First if you already have an XB1 - why would you get a disc less one?
Why would you have a pile of physical games if you don't already have an XB1?

The xb1's that cost $300 usually come with a game. So will the $200 ones come with a game?

Plus you can easily wait for a discount on the XB1, and XB1s for them to drop to $200 or lower.

So what do you gain by giving up an option of using discs?

I have two XBones, but I'd like a third one to put in the bedroom strictly for Destiny and Forza.  Those two games are the only ones I get digitally, because I go back to them over and over again for years and I don't want to have to worry about disks.  So, if I could get one on the cheap, a disk-less XBone could get me to triple dip.

Not sure if some here didn't realize yet that the digital share of games which also have a physical version is already reaching 50% and with all the digital only games, players buy already more digital than physical games.

Yes, there are many who still like their physical media but there are as many who don't care about that anymore. Who would prefer a maybe smaller console without something they won't use.

Around the Network
V-r0cK said:
Well that's really stupid of them to release it next year, so MS wont get real results out of this.

If anything, MS should release their next gen with two versions, disc and disc-less. Disc-less should have a lower price, and then lets see how much of each console sells more. That will really give MS a better read on how successful disc-less consoles could be.

I think it is very likely that they will do just that.

I wonder if this is really the XB streaming console that's been rumored. Apparently it was supposed to have some weaker hardware on board to do some processing, then stream the rest. They also built the entire cloud system using XB1 hardware apparently. A completely digital XB1SS would probably fit this description. What if they launched it without any mass storage and aloud the customer to choose their own external HDD?

$99? $129? $149?

That is a deal braker right there lol. I wonder if next xbox also will be disc less console

Bandorr said:
VAMatt said:

I have two XBones, but I'd like a third one to put in the bedroom strictly for Destiny and Forza.  Those two games are the only ones I get digitally, because I go back to them over and over again for years and I don't want to have to worry about disks.  So, if I could get one on the cheap, a disk-less XBone could get me to triple dip.

Or just get one cheap during black-friday?  Why wait until some time in 2019 to get something that you can get soon for cheap (possibly cheaper) but will also have the feature of being able to watch movies or play physical games.

Or get a used/refurbished one if all you are playing on doing is playing two games?

Yeah, I could do that.  My wife would certainly prefer a smaller one in the bedroom though.

The point is that there is some value in a system not having a disk drive.

VAMatt said:
V-r0cK said:
Well that's really stupid of them to release it next year, so MS wont get real results out of this.

If anything, MS should release their next gen with two versions, disc and disc-less. Disc-less should have a lower price, and then lets see how much of each console sells more. That will really give MS a better read on how successful disc-less consoles could be.

I think it is very likely that they will do just that.

I think it's also very likely Sony do too. They are dominating this gen so don't need a discless ps4 but you can be guaranteed they'll watch closely how this xbox one is received and go from there.