By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Disc-less XB1 Releasing In 2019

To be honest, I thought it would be Sony to do this first:

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft’s next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware. Currently, it costs about $299 to buy into the Xbox One family of devices, Microsoft is looking to lower that price by possibly as much as $100; the new console price point is expected to be $200 or less.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Yeah no way does a disk drive cost a 100 bucks. It's obviously a way to entice people to purchase the digital only console. MS have been trying to push this for a while now

Personally I'm fine with console manufacturers doing this, but I still want physical media to be relevant.

I misread that title so badly.... Good to know this console hasn't had it's package removed though!

Will be strange to see the general reaction to this, I would think mostly negative since if you're interested in saving a few bucks on the console you would be thinking about buying some older disc based titles on the cheap.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

This is fools gold.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

GribbleGrunger said:

To be honest, I thought it would be Sony to do this first:

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft’s next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware. Currently, it costs about $299 to buy into the Xbox One family of devices, Microsoft is looking to lower that price by possibly as much as $100; the new console price point is expected to be $200 or less.

I expected this move years ago already. What I don't understand though....1. wasn't their 4K Bluray player a selling point all the time? and 2. They might state the X1 sells at 299,- , but they've been selling it for 250 or less with 2 or more games included for ages, at least where I live. Imho this sounds like the logical step in the all digital GaaS, always online and no old game sales future MS is planning to lure us in, but also somehow reeks of added profits because they've likely been selling their consoles at a loss for some time. That said 100 for a disc drive seem unrealistic and excessive.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 16 November 2018

Around the Network

I don't understand the correlation of coming out with this device and 'winning the Spring' since Sony won't be at E3. That seems like an extreme reach. Also you can get an Xbox one S if you wait for ~200 with a disk drive (Gamestop sells them refurbished for $199) so unless its significantly less than that, it seems like a nonstarter.

Ugh, here we go

I said ages ago Sony should release a super slim with no disc drive but a 2TB HDD. I wonder how retailers will react to this.

bananaking21 said:
Yeah no way does a disk drive cost a 100 bucks. It's obviously a way to entice people to purchase the digital only console. MS have been trying to push this for a while now

Personally I'm fine with console manufacturers doing this, but I still want physical media to be relevant.

The article also mentions "In addition, the company also has a revised Xbox One S SKU that is targeted for later in the year that focuses solely on cost reduction but does feature a disc-drive for those who still prefer the traditional way to buy your games."

So in addition to removing the cost of the UHD Blu-Ray drive a general revision for cost reduction purposes could well knock the $100 off the price. We have seen Black Friday deals at $199 for 2 years now and regular $249 bundles so I wouldn't be surprised if the standard S became $199 and the disc-less S was $149 (standalone console) especially when you consider the profits made from digital content a couple of game sales and the hardware loss is made back up.

Good move by team Xbox. Test the waters of a disc-less console with the current gen. As the guy said, Phil Spencer is all about making bold moves, but he's not dumb. Phil wants to give gamers plenty of options. Releasing a disc-less Scarlett for $399 and a disc version for $450 or whatever. MS is making some serious moves, and I'm all for it.