By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think of RDR2 so far? (for those who are playing it)

Easily Best Game Ever

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Well the game isn't that much fun as a needle in a haystack simulator. Tetris effect has been drawing my attention away. It's a shame the mission design is not enticing at all to start another play through. I did get 3 more legendary animals,, just the panther left which requires a lot of work to unlock. I still need those 3 perfect rabbit pelts to even get started on the huntsman path. That just feels like work tbh.

Overall I would score the game a solid 8. World design is easily a 10 yet there's too much standing in the way to regard is as anywhere near a perfect game. I'm still surprised over 10% finished the full story, although that number is likely to go down with more casual sales following.

You pretty much summed up my views on the game. The World design is perfect, just the story is not enticing and actually feels dull. Maybe I am finally use to Rockstar Story Design for narrative experience and it just feels dull. 

Last edited by Acevil - on 23 November 2018

The tail end of the main game is legit depressing. It's outstanding storytelling, but man by the time it ends you're just like "thank god."

Acevil said:

You pretty much summed up my views on the game. The World design is perfect, just the story is not enticing and actually feels dull. Maybe I finally use to Rockstar Story Design for narrative experience and it just feels dull. 

The world drew me back in. I'm still firing it up every day for an hour or so next to playing Tetris Effect. I have no intention to redo the story though so I'm chipping away at the challenges which all have their problems.

Explorer: Find the right pixel to interact with while fighting the crappy traversal system. It's not suited to platforming, awful respawn system.
Gambler: Wait until the RNG finally favors you.
Hunter: Wait until the RNG favors you.
Sharpshooter: Wait until the RNG favors you.

Actually most of it depends on the RNG and I swear the game looks at what I need next and makes sure it doesn't appear. Steal horses, horse fence is gone. Win 5 finger thing, opponent is never there, shoot birds from a train, train never shows up, etc. Yet the world is still nice enough to revisit and I even ran into one of the old gang members now running a store. So I robbed him :)

I'm currently trying to survive for 3 days with over $250 bounty in every state and now the bounty hunters suddenly are showing up, all the time, in groups of 5 or 6. Before I had a higher bounty over all and never saw them.

It's one way to add longevity to a game. Make it all go rather clunky so it takes longer. No different from GTA really.

Well, i finished the game yesterday.....what a LOOOOOOONG game. The game definitively take things to fruition in the second half of the game, despite the gameplay still being average. But i will say this, despite the story going literally nowhere, the characters of the story are the best written characters of any Rockstar game. They almost convinced me i was enjoying the game. I will add too that i don't understand the purpose of the final ending (the ending that gives you the actual credits sequence), i won't spoil anything, but i can't say right now if the actual ending was good or necessary or not, maybe the game shold have finished earlier....

In the end, a BIG and LONG game, full recreation of its world, memorable main characters (Dutch and Arthur in particular), beautiful cinematography, cool main missions (if you stick to the way Rockstar wants you to play it). But the game drags during chaps 4 and 5, the gameplay in itself is bad (i could not stand the gunplay until the end, with or without aim assist, the gunplay is bad, the cover system is bad, and the IA is horrible those stupid waves of enemies coming after you) and the pace can be really boring at many times during the game.

Thanks to Arthur i will remember this game fondly, because is the best written main character of any Rockstar game, even more than John Marston in the original (and I liked Marston a lot in that game) and because of Dutch (thanks to his portrayal in this game, it makes retroactively RDR 1 story a lot much better and emotional). All in all I will give this game, despite its shortcomings, a 8'5.

Around the Network

well, I am still on chapter 4. I haven't played the game for like 2 weeks before last night which is something I usually do. I forgot I was at the northwest corner of the map and my next mission was in saint denis..well I said fuck that and just went hunting/exploring. now I don't know if I will ever make it back to shadybelle

I'm getting frustrated with the game mechanics again. The gambler challenge is a dead end at the win 3 hands at black jack with 3 hits or more. It's so rare that happens it's painful. I tapped the x button for an hour and a half while doing other things and not once would the rng let me draw 3 cards without either busting or hitting 21 before the 3rd hit. I only saw one other player manage hitting 3 cards (and still losing). Blackjack is so slow.

I paid off my bounties as bounty hunters started turning up as often as random battles in final fantasy. Btw it's way more lucrative to loot dead bounty hunters than the actual crime. For the bandit challenge I now have to rob townsfolk for a total of $50. Since the average person only seems to have 50 cents on them and the whole police force turns out as soon as you do anything in town, never mind.

Tomahawk kills on birds of prey, really! Can't find the other berries to eat, fishing is soo boring, still no train (well I had one, yet no birds for the kill 5 birds from a moving train, then the train stopped with 6 bounty hunters waiting). Can't find any bears now I need to hunt them and my horse just keeps running into things. So I made a short compilation of that.

Guess where the music is from :)

Back to GT Sport next week as my favorite track will be back on!

SvennoJ said:

I'm getting frustrated with the game mechanics again. The gambler challenge is a dead end at the win 3 hands at black jack with 3 hits or more. It's so rare that happens it's painful. I tapped the x button for an hour and a half while doing other things and not once would the rng let me draw 3 cards without either busting or hitting 21 before the 3rd hit. I only saw one other player manage hitting 3 cards (and still losing). Blackjack is so slow.

I paid off my bounties as bounty hunters started turning up as often as random battles in final fantasy. Btw it's way more lucrative to loot dead bounty hunters than the actual crime. For the bandit challenge I now have to rob townsfolk for a total of $50. Since the average person only seems to have 50 cents on them and the whole police force turns out as soon as you do anything in town, never mind.

Tomahawk kills on birds of prey, really! Can't find the other berries to eat, fishing is soo boring, still no train (well I had one, yet no birds for the kill 5 birds from a moving train, then the train stopped with 6 bounty hunters waiting). Can't find any bears now I need to hunt them and my horse just keeps running into things. So I made a short compilation of that.

Hmm Fishing is really fun,i have spent Hours just trying to fish one legendary fish

Still in chapter 2 and still getting enjoyment out of nonmainmissions and other sidestuff.

Mr.Joker said:
SvennoJ said:

Hmm Fishing is really fun,i have spent Hours just trying to fish one legendary fish

fishing is what I have done most in this game. especially when i just want to sit back and relax