By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you think of RDR2 so far? (for those who are playing it)

I'm not through the opening yet, played for 2 hours so far. It's slow, controls are the usual mix of bad aiming and steering. The body 'maintenance' mechanic feels unnecessary and seems to merely be an excuse to gather a ton of food crap to carry along. Body count is silly again, it took forever to loot all the bodies after the first big shoot out.

However it's so full of atmosphere and detail it feels like I'm in the hateful eight. There is a sort of auto follow, hold x down to stay with the group, or enable cinematic mode and it will follow by itself for a while. You can also switch views in cinematic view with R3, or easily switch back to 3rd person, it's like shooting your own movie. Characters are great so far although I'm sometimes confused as to whether Im talking or if someone is talking to me. That's kind of a problem with first person mode, can't see when you are talking. Yet after a while I should start recognizing my own voice :)

First person mode is a mixed bag. It's great on horseback and while walking outside in the open. Inside and near buildings it highlights the low res textures (playing on ps4 pro) from simply getting too close to things. However in 3rd person it's hard to target things you want to interact with. At least it's only a simple press of the track pad to switch which I have been doing a lot.

Beware of lack of checkpoints. I actually played for close to 3 hours, had to replay most of an hour after the console auto shut off when I had to do something else. I had already cleared the whole camp and figured that I could leave it in the traversel to the next section. Instead when I started the game again I was all the way back at where you select who to talk to first. (which starts the mission) No clue if saving it manually actually saves progress in a mission, I hope so.

Anyway, it looks amazing, draws you in, just don't expect anything new for core game play mechanics or mission design.

Around the Network

I've put about 12-15 hours into the game, and if I would review the game now I would be talking so much trash I'm sure I'd be banned. Hate so many things about this game, when I love GTA's and RDR1. Man did they ever fuck up, I honestly don't get how they have a 97 metacritic score. Anyways, I might type up some thoughts after another try at this game. Today I instantly quit after I tried to steal an item in an empty store, and 3 witnesses saw me. $28 bounty instantly and getting shot at for a $3 item. Last night it was a mob hunting me down for animal cruelty after I shot a bird. But a little before this, I accidentally shot my gun and it hit a house. I was wanted for vandalism.

Not a fun experience. The Witcher 3 did many of these same mechanics, but in that, least it was fun. PS: The horse controls and mechanics are so freaking bad! And don't even get me started on the weapon de-equiping! f&!@

It's good sometimes great but it tries to hard to be a simulater making most things a choir to do. Also this is probably just me but way did they make L2 to both aim and talk to people it ruins the combat, also I find the game changes your gun like when I go hunting it will change my bow to the revolver and way does it put my guns back on the horse let me keep my loadout.

Mar1217 said:
I did hear funny stories about bad controls in the beginning with people stuck on trees because of their cart controls and it took them forever to actually turn around it.

Damn driving that cart. Best to enter cinematic mode and keep x pressed to auto follow the road as otherwise you can either easily get stuck, the wagon suddenly becomes inoperable (mission failed) or the horses mysteriously fall down and die (mission failed). The same happened when I was on the horse, wrong slope, horse falls over, dead. Just hold x to auto follow, safer.

I also already had things suddenly disappear. A bear attack in the snow and after knocking me off my horse suddenly vanished. No trail left in the snow while all the other trails were there.

Got mauled by a bear but got enough shots off (w/ nice camera angle) to put it down. Good times.

Around the Network

Simply the best game ever made (even though I haven't finished it yet).
No other game has as much work and attention to detail put into them as this. Everything works like it would in real life and you can do almost anything that you could do in real life. You can for example hijack a horse by riding next to it and jumping on it. Or you can fall from your horse if you hit a tree pranch. And the animations couldn't be any better/more life-like.
One of the best things about this is the wildlife/animals (the map is also the best ever, especially the forests, which look unbelievable). There are around 200 different animals and they behave like they would have the AI of real animals. So this game also works as a hunting simulator.
This is the most captivating game that I have ever played. It also looks so good that it could easily be a next-gen game. It will be almost impossible for future games to surpass this.

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game

John2290 said:

It reminds me of RDR1 mixed with the systems or Kingdom come deliverance and somehow BoTW vibes are coming through all of that, not surr why but it's a good way and not an negative. Oh, and there is a heavy feeling of the witcher 3s influence here in world and mission design. A sort of feeling of more choice than there actually is.

My take is RDR1 + Witcher 3 characters+ TloU like formula.

Finished prologue, go deep into open world.

One of my friends randomly found a dead body with the letter to Bonnie Macfarlane. Actually he kindap a train, fought the trail/bountyhunters, enjoy vistas, go out and this.

Now im trying to check its true, will update later.

Got to the 2nd chapter, played for around 3-4 hrs, and all I can say is, can't wait to get back on it tomorrow, this is one of the games that has great animations, and the little details is so good that people find it a chore, so unfortunate.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

I love it, played it for 9 hours straight on launch. One of the best games I've ever played.

AMAZING. It's honestly making Zelda BOTW look completely obsolete a year after it's release.

User was Banned for trolling and baiting due to this post - cycycychris

Last edited by cycycychris - on 27 October 2018