By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo Switch Trailer Celebrates Over 1,000 Games For System

GoOnKid said:
Kalkano said:

Every Turn-Based game that's already been released on Switch is either a port, is multi-platform, or is very low-budget (give me mid-tier).

Alright, this makes your taste even more specific. You're not the easiest customer, you know.

I disagree.  I really don't think I'm asking for much.  It's not like I'm demanding AAA.

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos

Around the Network
Kalkano said:
GoOnKid said:

Alright, this makes your taste even more specific. You're not the easiest customer, you know.

I disagree.  I really don't think I'm asking for much.  It's not like I'm demanding AAA.

First of all neither you nor me know how many AAAs any game deserves since we don't know how much they cost. Second, yes your taste is very limited. But you know what, that's okay. There is something for everyone, I don't care if you find your satisfaction on the Switch or somewhere else. Gladly, the gaming landscape is wide enough for all of us.

Haha! I love that in the "greatest games" thread people say this site is mostly Nintendo fans. Then in a Nintendo thread like this the comments are mostly negative. If this site is mostly Nintendo fans, then they aren't the ones posting in the Nintendo threads.

Yeah the library is really incredible. Of cause some might argue, it's garbage, but those comments are mostly garbage, too. There are certain perspectives, I usually consider and I don't like to rate games to begin with. In my opinion for almost 70-80% of all released games on Switch there is a market. Even if those titles aren't million sellers.

Personally inlcuding first party I own 40 Switch games and additional 24 games exist on my wishlist at the moment. There are games like State of Mind that experiment with essential game story telling in a good way, that do not appeal everyone. Couch coop games, multiplayer titles, board games or even in comparison with Mario Kart bad fun racers, friends of mine still enjoy. Than there are great classics and indies from the last two decades, exclusives or unusual console genres (strategy, card games, moba etc.). Some of this "garbage" are even popular games only for certain cultures. For instance Moorhuhn is still always present in the German eshop charts for a long time now, because it has been such a big hit in the early 2000s.

And given my life circumstances as an adult, I tend to spend more dollar per hour and value short games over giant worlds. I need good entertainment without the repetitive stuff. Games like Assassins Creed, Witcher 3, Farcry, red dead redemption 2, gta v or Skyrim are very unlikely to be completed by me nowadys. I don't buy them too often anymore. Hell I might finish Xenoblade Chronicles 2 by 2020 at my recent pace. The only exception is Breath of the Wild because I had always the option to shorten the game and tackle ganon sooner. My favorite genre on Switch are story driven interactive movies and rogue like adventures because of this.

Last edited by Teno - on 26 October 2018

Kalkano said:
Mnementh said:

Hmm, as this genre is very niche: do you play anything at all? I think only Persona has a higher budget, so only persona?

EDIT: Too be precise, octopath traveler is here the one with higher budget obviously. This game shows off a lot of work, which means money that was poured into the project.

Octopath Traveler is basically 2D.  It doesn't get much lower budget than that.

Recent mid-tier games I've bought are Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel 1&2, Dragon Quest 11, and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I'm not proud of this, but I do play some Compile Heart games.  That's about as low-budget as I'm willing to go.  If a game in 2018 can't even bother to get into the 3rd dimension, I'm out.

First of all is Octopath not 2D. This are 3D-models with pixel-art textures. From a development standpoint it is more effort than cheap 3D-models and textures. As I didn't know Trails of Cold Steel I watched a video - yes that, cheap textures and models, fast and easy to produce. Often standardized assets. Pixel-art is often more work, but moreover Octopath traveler has changing styles depending on the region. I'm pretty sure Octopath budget turns out to be higher than Trails of Cold Steel. Or compare with Persona with indicidual style and assets, much more work. And content size obviously influences budget as well. And don't get me wrong, I don't want to say Trails is bad, turn-based RPG is so niche it has low sales, you have to optimize costs to make the project profitable. That's clearly understandable.

So your choice is basically 3D instead of 2D. You don't talk about budget, you talk about 3D-graphic. That's fine, but wasn't clear before. Of your examples Valkyria Chronicles 4 is on Switch too, DQ 11 will come later. But yes, with this specific set of restrictions, the game set gets smaller. Disgaea what I named before is also 3D, but an old port. Later this year comes Pokemon Let's Go, which is a classic turn-based RPG, but not everyone is into Pokemon and Let's Go actually reduced the number of fights.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Kalkano said:

Octopath Traveler is basically 2D.  It doesn't get much lower budget than that.

Recent mid-tier games I've bought are Persona 5, Trails of Cold Steel 1&2, Dragon Quest 11, and Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I'm not proud of this, but I do play some Compile Heart games.  That's about as low-budget as I'm willing to go.  If a game in 2018 can't even bother to get into the 3rd dimension, I'm out.

First of all is Octopath not 2D. This are 3D-models with pixel-art textures. From a development standpoint it is more effort than cheap 3D-models and textures. As I didn't know Trails of Cold Steel I watched a video - yes that, cheap textures and models, fast and easy to produce. Often standardized assets. Pixel-art is often more work, but moreover Octopath traveler has changing styles depending on the region. I'm pretty sure Octopath budget turns out to be higher than Trails of Cold Steel. Or compare with Persona with indicidual style and assets, much more work. And content size obviously influences budget as well. And don't get me wrong, I don't want to say Trails is bad, turn-based RPG is so niche it has low sales, you have to optimize costs to make the project profitable. That's clearly understandable.

So your choice is basically 3D instead of 2D. You don't talk about budget, you talk about 3D-graphic. That's fine, but wasn't clear before. Of your examples Valkyria Chronicles 4 is on Switch too, DQ 11 will come later. But yes, with this specific set of restrictions, the game set gets smaller. Disgaea what I named before is also 3D, but an old port. Later this year comes Pokemon Let's Go, which is a classic turn-based RPG, but not everyone is into Pokemon and Let's Go actually reduced the number of fights.

*eyeroll*

Yes, it costs more to make 3D assets.  That's common sense.  I'm not getting into this argument again.  It's absurd.

Currently Replaying: Baten Kaitos