By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Dark Souls on Switch analysis

Tagged games:

potato_hamster said:
KLAMarine said:

Hybrid console-handheld.

That's a redundant phrase. It's a video game console. You can argue it is a hybrid of a handheld console and a home console, but it is still a console nonetheless.

See, it is listed here (under home consoles):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console#Home_consoles_7

Okay, it's a console. A console designed to be portable and powered by a battery for on-the-go gaming.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

Eh, frame rate was in 10s in Blighttown you dont have nothing even similar like that on Switch, and even in other parts game outside of Blighttown and New Londo there were dips below 20. Frame rate on Switch is much more consist in any case, and frame rate drops are much less frequent and much more smaller compared to 360/PS3, so we definatly talking about huge difference in frame rate. Look at link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhoDHdJdcAs

Much higher resolution and much better frame rate defiantly means it better port despite have worse sound and one worse effect. Saying that, sound could be easily patched, I hope they will do that.

So Switch ports are better than a console that came out 12 years ago? Get out of town! That's incredible!

?

You do realise I made reply to person who said it wasn't better port?

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 25 October 2018

Disappointing port on Switch. Never played Dark souls series, only Demon's souls and Bloodborne. I was waiting for all the versions of the remaster to come out. I think i'll go with the PS4 version, and if i like it i'll think to buy the other two.
I would have expected much more from this port. Postponed (by a lot to be a remaster) to be improved. A game that was discussed a lot for Switch. Another time the problem could be the too expensive cartridges? 3.9 gb seems strange...
Those audio problems then... Playing it in portable mode with headphones loses a lot of the atmosphere... Don't know what to say if not a lazy port.

I have great time with this game on Switch in any case in docked and portable mode, even with not good sound.
I really hope they will port Dark Souls 2 also on Switch, and that they will patch sound on this game.

curl-6 said:
DonFerrari said:

Ok I have no problem with you considering the game much better than the original rendition. The point is that it's a valid port to buy for someone that like the game and doesn't have a PS4.

Even for those who have a PS4, it's a valid buy; some people might like to play on the bus/train to/from work or on their lunch break.

Well I don't game on the go, except for the 3 cellphone games I currently play. Still I wouldn't play my console game on the go, yet if someone want to play DS on the go (I would say it is a type of game needing a lot of focus so it would be hard to do out of a silent dungeon =p) sure it is a quite competent way to do so.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The resolution boost is good, but the framerate isn't that much better. Blighttown and New Londo are the only places where framerate was a problem on PS3, and even then it wasn't always a problem. Most of the time the framerate is pretty close. But as I said, resolution boost is nice but the audio quality is so far behind it hurts the game on Switch far more than PS3's 640p and occasional framedrops did as it takes away part of the appeal.

Not saying it isn't an amazing game, Dark Souls with the drawbacks is still better than any other game released this year. Its Dark Souls, and it has the DLC which had to be bought separately on PS3 which makes it a better deal. Still its not like what the original commentator said that its way better on Switch than last gen, which it isn't.

Eh, frame rate was in 10s in Blighttown you dont have nothing even similar like that on Switch, and even in other parts game outside of Blighttown and New Londo there were dips below 20. Frame rate on Switch is much more consist in any case, and frame rate drops are much less frequent and much more smaller compared to 360/PS3, so we definatly talking about huge difference in frame rate. Look at link below.

Much higher resolution and much better frame rate defiantly means it better port despite have worse sound and one worse effect. Saying that, sound could be easily patched, I hope they will do that.

Those framerates you speak of didn't bother me. They were unusual so generally didn't have an effect on my playthroughs. A locked 30fps isn't that much better than a mostly 30fps game with occasional dips below it.

Sound though isn't occasionally bad on Switch, its generally terrible. It may not matter to you but sounds in games matter to me as much as the performance, sometimes more sometimes less. It matters more in Dark Souls where the game doesn't require low latency to play but where the voice acting and soundtracks play a crucial role.

GOWTLOZ said:
Miyamotoo said:

Those framerates you speak of didn't bother me. They were unusual so generally didn't have an effect on my playthroughs. A locked 30fps isn't that much better than a mostly 30fps game with occasional dips below it.

Sound though isn't occasionally bad on Switch, its generally terrible. It may not matter to you but sounds in games matter to me as much as the performance, sometimes more sometimes less. It matters more in Dark Souls where the game doesn't require low latency to play but where the voice acting and soundtracks play a crucial role.

They may not bother you, but objectively speaking 10fps is extremely low and 30fps in the same stress points is a massive improvement.

GOWTLOZ said:
Miyamotoo said:

Point that doesn't bother you dont change fact that 10 FPS is terrible in any case. A almost locked frame rate game is much better than game that has offten dips to 10-20FPS.

Sound is bad

curl-6 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

They may not bother you, but objectively speaking 10fps is extremely low and 30fps in the same stress points is a massive improvement.

Correct but the sound is extremely important as well. I was just saying why Dark Souls on Switch isn't objectively better than the PS3 version.

GOWTLOZ said:
curl-6 said:

Correct but the sound is extremely important as well. I was just saying why Dark Souls on Switch isn't objectively better than the PS3 version.

But fact is that objectively is better than PS3 version, higher resolution and much better frame rate (no 10 FPS dips any more) vs worse sound, is objectively better version of game.