By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How often do you visit VGC?

How often do you come to VGC? (choose the answer that is closest to your AVERAGE usage over the last several months)

Almost never 2 2.33%

1-3 times per month 1 1.16%

Weekly 1 1.16%

2-3 times per week 3 3.49%

daily, or close to it 29 33.72%

A couple of times per day 34 39.53%

I obsessively check VGC a... 16 18.60%

Total:86
super_etecoon said:
Ok...I've made the first step in my transition to a new VGC. I've removed the Politics discussions from my Hot Topics. There is a slightly political discussion showing up because it is listed as General Discussion. What are the paramaters for General Discussion? Maybe I should omit that one as well.

How do you remove something from hot topics?

Around the Network

I'm usually logged in everyday just by default and have it open as one of my tabs, then I just randomly check every now and then as i'm browsing the internet to see if there are any threads I might wanna participate in lol

super_etecoon said:
Ok...I've made the first step in my transition to a new VGC. I've removed the Politics discussions from my Hot Topics. There is a slightly political discussion showing up because it is listed as General Discussion. What are the paramaters for General Discussion? Maybe I should omit that one as well.

mZuzek said:
VAMatt said:

How do you remove something from hot topics?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forums.php#content

Click on 'filters', do as you please. It didn't use to affect the home page back in the day, but now it does.

That was easy.  I figure this will eliminate 80% or more of the VGC political discussion problem (for me, at least).    Thanks for the idea super_etecoon, and the instructions mZuzek.  

VAMatt said:
super_etecoon said:

mZuzek said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/forums.php#content

Click on 'filters', do as you please. It didn't use to affect the home page back in the day, but now it does.

That was easy.  I figure this will eliminate 80% or more of the VGC political discussion problem (for me, at least).    Thanks for the idea super_etecoon, and the instructions mZuzek.  

No problem!  It's sad to have to do it, since sometimes I do enjoy some political discussion.  But the general tone of the threads doesn't result in any sort of educational or positive experiences.  Best to just avoid them altogther and be bored by the lack of gaming news than infuriated by the tidal wave of political turmoil each of us face on the daily.

Much doom and gloom in here. I still find the site entertaining enough to check in every other day, though yeah it's not nearly as good as it once was. The weekly tournaments and play sessions are definitely a highlight that I miss greatly.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
The_Yoda said:

I think you would lose more people if you cut that out.  Don't like the discussions then don't participate, but to take it away from those that do seems selfish.  Just my 2 cents.

I don't disagree with you. Certainly, one is free to not participate in the political discussion, just as their free to not participate in any other discussion on this site.   But, if one is interested in politics, it can sometimes be hard to avoid clicking on some of this stuff when the provocative headlines are sitting right in there with all the video game discussion.

I am somewhat interested in politics. I think I do a decent job of staying out of the discussions on here, because most of it is totally ridiculous. but, my track record of staying out of it as far less than perfect. And that's nobody's fault but my own. Nevertheless, the fact that this political discussion takes place in the forms here does negatively impact my enjoyment of the website. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that boat.

With that said, I'm certainly not going to start any serious lobbying effort to eliminate the political discussion for him. But, if I had a magic wand, I'd get that shit out of here.

LOL fair enough.  You are not alone that you wish politics was not discussed on this site, I've seen others express the same desire.  I always liked them, if for no other reason than to sit back and read the debate.  If it weren't for the entertainment factor I'd say I wish people here were less extreme and hostile in their views, but again that's part of what I find entertaining about it.  While it's true that there are other places to talk about politics (or anything else discussed on this site for that matter) the average intelligence of the users here is higher than on the handful of other places I have frequented in the past. If I wished to listen to dumb people debate politics I'd go back to yahoo's message boards.

Not as much as I used to. Topics are usually politics, which draw a lot of heated, pointless, toxic arguments, and that drives me off the site.

Mostly just lurk these days. Might check the articles out see if anything interesting was posted then leave. Rarely comment anymore either. Honestly I’ve been getting back into comic books again recently and playing Spider-Man so haven’t had much desire to visit or comment here.

A few times a day, I use the hot topics section to see if there's been any video game news, cause someone will make a thread about it.

Daily (or close to it) + I don't post that often anymore.