By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony president on PS4 successor: “It’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”

Sweet! I can't wait to see what kind of power the ps5 will run in hardware. Really would be cool if they made a portable handheld that could run all ps5 games in 1080p and the main console in 4k

Around the Network

I truly believe PS5 will be released in Nov 2020, and it will be at least 3 times more powerful than XBoxOne X. I'm ready to place a bet on it.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

ps5 will release xmas 2019 and will get ahead on the xbox scarlet. would be amazing releasing sooner than the next xbox

i also think next gen consoles will be 4k 60fps gaming, would be difficult recomending a casual gamer on getting a pc over a console if thats the case

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Kerotan said:
vivster said:

No.

Why not? Imo people will say oh ps5 coming why upgrade to the ps4 Pro. Or next year they might just say not buying ps4 at all. 

Price is key. If the PS5 hits next year, we're going to have a PS4 at $199, a Pro at $299, with the PS5 hitting shelves at $399-$449. People who are budget conscious will still pick up the cheaper PS4 or Pro.

ArchangelMadzz said: 
Why are we still talking about smartphones? They're not affecting them. Sony have done better this gen than last gen when there were less smartphones.

Sony have broken their own records twice this year in game sales, whilst smartphone gaming has been at it's biggest. Jesus.

Very true. Smartphones only affected the dedicated HH market, which makes sense. It's why Nintendo adopted the hybrid model. 

I just want the PS5 to be backwards compatible since there will be a lot of PS4 games i will not have finished by the time it comes out, (heck i sitll have PS3 games i havent touched yet).

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Lads I'm talking about the uniformed less hard-core Gamer who might be thinking of getting a pro or a ps4. Obviously they won't directly pick this random quote up but if all the mainstream media picks this up and word spreads amongst the casually informed consumer they might be put off buying a ps4. Just a thought. Imo Sony would be better saying nothing to the media until they are ready to announce. Now maybe they want Microsoft to think they're coming sooner then they are. Possibly forcing ms to jump the gun too soon after the xbox x.

MS just announced xCloud. Their future streaming plans. Just by chance... PS right now makes it clear that next gen hardware will be necessary. PS is simply trying to make XB look bad. MS says our future tech is streaming, which you all know won't be quite as good as dedicated hardware, even though it'll be much cheaper, and PS is saying your going to need even stronger hardware than you have now, for the games that are coming in the future, regardless of the price. This is PS flexing a bit, sort of like when the PS4 was announced and performed better than the XB1 media box strategy. It's also PS trying to get early mind share when it comes to next gen and how streaming won't be enough to properly enjoy those future games, so they seem to be hinting. It also makes me think PS isn't going to release a streaming only box anytime soon.

2020 is my bet. The hardware jump on the GPU side will be pretty minimal all things considered... AMD's GPU's are just hot, slow, inefficient and large. (expensive) and AMD isn't investing enough R&D to improve their designs.

The CPU and Ram side of the equation is another matter entirely, that is where we will get the biggest benefits.

If Microsoft skips Navi and goes with AMD's Next Gen, they will have a big advantage.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Kerotan said:
vivster said:

No.

Why not? Imo people will say oh ps5 coming why upgrade to the ps4 Pro. Or next year they might just say not buying ps4 at all. 

Many factors and possibilities why PS4 and Pro will be fine and to a greater extent PlayStation as a whole.

#1 Gaming in general will have evolved by the time PS5 launches. PlayStation will have the upmost variety in platforms for different budgets. 

#2 Potentially the could introduce a Pro Slim 

#3 Price reduction is almost guaranteed any time after Black Friday.

#4 By the time PS5 launches we could be looking at prices like PS4-$199 PS4 Pro-$299 PS5-$399-$499. 

#5 Software and Cross-gen Software will always continue to sell console. This Holiday season is filling up well. The numbers I believe will do great amongst the big 3 gaming companies. Plus 2019 starts us off with RE2 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Days Gone.

Shiken said:
think-man said:
It's probably not going to much more powerful than the Xbox one X if it wants to stay competitively priced.

Which is why people who think it is coming out in 2019 are out of their minds.  They forget that unless we are going to see incremental upgrades from now on (pro becomes to new low end, PS5 is the new "4k" machine, etc), we need more time to make a sizable jump into a new generation.  Like it or not, the Pro and X extended this generation.

Those people are out of their minds to think Sony would launch new gen JUST BEFORE NEW PROCESS AND APU IS AVAILABLE FROM AMD.
Why would they ever willingly forgo such a great advance in power/performance/$? What critical need would force such a wasteful move?
Of course they don't mention or address AMD's upcoming tech at all, of course because they're not basing things on tech fundamentals at all.
It's just a year and a console gen to them, hardware is irrelevant.

Shiken said:
bananaking21 said:
Yeah well obviously. But I don't see this releasing next year. 2020 seems like the sweet spot

I see it being no earlier than holiday 2020 and no later than holiday 2021, with 2020 being the more likely of the two.

I agree, and whether or not AMD 7nm is available is not strict determinant, but it's pricing/volume and that for memory.
If those are too high, it could make sense to wait another year or so to get better price that enables better spec which games will be built around.
I think it's also potentially worthwhile to wait for newer GPU, Sony is making plenty of $ on software/PSN, they have no urgency to launch early.
They should only launch when no new tech is likely to appear in next 2-3 years, that is when the stars are aligned for new gen.