By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony president on PS4 successor: “It’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”

Of course it is.
The hardware feature sets need to catch up to PC.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
twintail said:
LiquorandGunFun said:
looking forward to February, not only a shit load of game releases, but something tells me ps5 announcement as well. i will be out there at midnight for one, and have another preorder online to flip to make most if not all my money back like last time, broke even with ps4 launch, i was able to buy alot of games.

Unless its a 2019 release, I highlt doubt you will get any announcement before E3. 

if i remember correctly, they announced ps4 in feb, and showed more at e3?

LiquorandGunFun said:
looking forward to February, not only a shit load of game releases, but something tells me ps5 announcement as well. i will be out there at midnight for one, and have another preorder online to flip to make most if not all my money back like last time, broke even with ps4 launch, i was able to buy alot of games.

I think you're on the money. If I were Sony I'd release PS5 ASA-freaking-P. And it will come soon for many reasons. It's a common fact that Navi is being prepared with Sony for PS5. Navi GPUs will hit the market in the first half of 2019 - what's the use of having your own technology and keeping it on a shelf? AMD CPUs are awesome and ready to be put into a console, they are now releasing 7nm Vega GPUs, so the 7nm process will be mature enough for next year to produce efficiently, they will have Navi - why should Sony wait? What for? The bloody new economic crisis that is looming and I'd be absolutely shocked if it wasn't here by November 2019? If I worked at Sony I'd try to move mountains to release PS5 before sh!t hits the fan and the economy collapses again and we are overdue for that at this point. Trust me, it's not fun releasing an electronic entertainment device in the middle of an economic crisis with people cutting spendings left and right.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

LiquorandGunFun said:
twintail said:

Unless its a 2019 release, I highlt doubt you will get any announcement before E3. 

if i remember correctly, they announced ps4 in feb, and showed more at e3?

And release the same year. Hence why I said unless its 2019, I doubt that will be the course they take. 

vivster said:
Kerotan said:
I know you're all sick of hearing it but I pray everyday that we won't see next gen before Q4 2020.

And I pray every day that you're wrong.

Now I'm going to have to double my prayers. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
vivster said:

And I pray every day that you're wrong.

Now I'm going to have to double my prayers. 

Already tripled mine.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

So, as we all know the gaming landscape is evolving nowadays. Even the article mentions the rising global smartphone games market and the shifting habits of consumer. These are important issues to deal with when you face the challenge to build a new gaming device that is supposed to be appealing for several years when you want to reach the masses. Of course Sony can always count on the brand value of Playstation but they still need to go with the times, and I believe the hardware race has come to a point of cool-down. The big technical achievements have mostly been accomplished already. So my best guess is that they will try to emulate Nintendo and do a hybrid.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

Kerotan said:
Is it not damaging for ps4 sales especially the pro to be talking about the ps5?

Talk of or even outright official announcements of a next-gen system has never had an impact on sales of the system it will eventually replace. Why should it start to have an effect now?

The PS5 won't have an effect on PS4 sales until it is released, and not a day before.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

GoOnKid said:

So, as we all know the gaming landscape is evolving nowadays. Even the article mentions the rising global smartphone games market and the shifting habits of consumer. These are important issues to deal with when you face the challenge to build a new gaming device that is supposed to be appealing for several years when you want to reach the masses. Of course Sony can always count on the brand value of Playstation but they still need to go with the times, and I believe the hardware race has come to a point of cool-down. The big technical achievements have mostly been accomplished already. So my best guess is that they will try to emulate Nintendo and do a hybrid.

Your best guess is just about as good as Germany was at the World Cup 2018.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Scisca said:

Why should Sony wait? What for? The bloody new economic crisis that is looming and I'd be absolutely shocked if it wasn't here by November 2019? If I worked at Sony I'd try to move mountains to release PS5 before sh!t hits the fan and the economy collapses again and we are overdue for that at this point. Trust me, it's not fun releasing an electronic entertainment device in the middle of an economic crisis with people cutting spendings left and right.

Honestly, that is valid factor to consider for sure... But I don't think it's as clear cut... A new gen will really only disrupt software sales in short term.
3rd parties will continue x-gen releases, but 1st party really need to throw in on new gen, maybe not 100% of titles, but over-all posture-wise.
An economic crash is also perfect negotiating position to get bargain prices from suppliers, which will enable best possible spec to define the gen.
An economic crash will affect them regardless, and 1 year of PS5 sales can't match PS4 install base, so that wouldn't actually make any more $.
So not contradicting case for targeting launch for best component prices... Mere availability of 7nm Zen+Navi is not only factor (although min req).

Logic of economic cycle should also be read into decision around PS4 Pro (and BoneX, although MS wasn't quite on the ball in that regard).
Grabbing higher end interest during economic peak, to keep platform sales running at 100% while the going is good, and delay gen switch.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 10 October 2018