By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony president on PS4 successor: “It’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”

So, as we all know the gaming landscape is evolving nowadays. Even the article mentions the rising global smartphone games market and the shifting habits of consumer. These are important issues to deal with when you face the challenge to build a new gaming device that is supposed to be appealing for several years when you want to reach the masses. Of course Sony can always count on the brand value of Playstation but they still need to go with the times, and I believe the hardware race has come to a point of cool-down. The big technical achievements have mostly been accomplished already. So my best guess is that they will try to emulate Nintendo and do a hybrid.

Around the Network
Scisca said:

Why should Sony wait? What for? The bloody new economic crisis that is looming and I'd be absolutely shocked if it wasn't here by November 2019? If I worked at Sony I'd try to move mountains to release PS5 before sh!t hits the fan and the economy collapses again and we are overdue for that at this point. Trust me, it's not fun releasing an electronic entertainment device in the middle of an economic crisis with people cutting spendings left and right.

Honestly, that is valid factor to consider for sure... But I don't think it's as clear cut... A new gen will really only disrupt software sales in short term.
3rd parties will continue x-gen releases, but 1st party really need to throw in on new gen, maybe not 100% of titles, but over-all posture-wise.
An economic crash is also perfect negotiating position to get bargain prices from suppliers, which will enable best possible spec to define the gen.
An economic crash will affect them regardless, and 1 year of PS5 sales can't match PS4 install base, so that wouldn't actually make any more $.
So not contradicting case for targeting launch for best component prices... Mere availability of 7nm Zen+Navi is not only factor (although min req).

Logic of economic cycle should also be read into decision around PS4 Pro (and BoneX, although MS wasn't quite on the ball in that regard).
Grabbing higher end interest during economic peak, to keep platform sales running at 100% while the going is good, and delay gen switch.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 10 October 2018

Random_Matt said:
PS4/Pro will not be left on the market when PS5 releases (New games anyway), that is one way to cripple your new HW. Secondly, the difference between the two CPU's will be fucking huge.

3rd party loves the $$$.

Scisca said:

It's a common fact that Navi is being prepared with Sony for PS5. Navi GPUs will hit the market in the first half of 2019 - what's the use of having your own technology and keeping it on a shelf?

Navi is an AMD technology not a Sony one.
It's Graphics Core Next derived which predates the Playstation 4, let alone it's use in the Playstation 5.

Just like the Playstation 4 chip, Sony will have a list of some design goals for their semi-custom part, but that will be as far as it goes.

Lets hope AMD actually gets it's Draw Stream Rasterizer functioning in Navi... Oh and Primitive Shaders would actually be good as well AMD.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Scisca said:

It's a common fact that Navi is being prepared with Sony for PS5. Navi GPUs will hit the market in the first half of 2019 - what's the use of having your own technology and keeping it on a shelf?

It's Graphics Core Next derived which predates the Playstation 4, let alone it's use in the Playstation 5.

Just like the Playstation 4 chip, Sony will have a list of some design goals for their semi-custom part, but that will be as far as it goes.

Lets hope AMD actually gets it's Draw Stream Rasterizer functioning in Navi... Oh and Primitive Shaders would actually be good as well AMD.

I think the confusion is coming from the earlier report that AMD's next GPU design as keeping the next Playstation in mind.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
Pemalite said:

I think the confusion is coming from the earlier report that AMD's next GPU design as keeping the next Playstation in mind.

If Sony wants a large, slow, hot, inefficient, expensive, Graphics Core Next derived GPU... Well. That would be saddening.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Random_Matt said:
PS4/Pro will not be left on the market when PS5 releases (New games anyway), that is one way to cripple your new HW. Secondly, the difference between the two CPU's will be fucking huge.

With PS and MS both seeming to want to keep online games at the same frame rate for parity, if PS5 can do solid 60fps, it's hard to see them holding online multiplayer back to 30fps for third party games that cross gens. Unless PS4 players can't play with PS5 players, and I have a hard time believing that. It would make sense in terms of profits, because selling a $199 PS4 is going to keep hardware and software sales quite strong. Depends a lot on how much future games have to suffer on PS4's, or on PS5's to accommodate PS4.

Keeping PS4 Pro may not even be enough on 7nm to attain a solid 60fps, so focusing future games on PS5 makes sense. Except for the fact that your asking people to shell out another $399-$499 again. With MS seemingly talking about a much cheaper hardware based streaming box, to go along with a hardcore 4k/60 home console, I wouldn't put it passed PS to counter with a Pro/XB1X level PS5 base console using Ryzen to achieve 60fps for $299, while also having a (checkerboard) 4k/60 box for $399-$499.

vivster said:
Kerotan said:

Now I'm going to have to double my prayers. 

Already tripled mine.

I may be remembering wrong, but were you the one that thought the PS5 wasn't coming until 2021, at the earliest?

RolStoppable said:
GoOnKid said:

So, as we all know the gaming landscape is evolving nowadays. Even the article mentions the rising global smartphone games market and the shifting habits of consumer. These are important issues to deal with when you face the challenge to build a new gaming device that is supposed to be appealing for several years when you want to reach the masses. Of course Sony can always count on the brand value of Playstation but they still need to go with the times, and I believe the hardware race has come to a point of cool-down. The big technical achievements have mostly been accomplished already. So my best guess is that they will try to emulate Nintendo and do a hybrid.

Your best guess is just about as good as Germany was at the World Cup 2018.

But but but...

First: Even Nintendo themselves realized who they're dealing with and kept the Switch hidden almost until the very last second because they feared others might copy the concept.

Second: Özil should sleep more at night times so he wouldn't have to sleep during games. That alone should have made a significant bump on the performance.

thismeintiel said:
vivster said:

Already tripled mine.

I may be remembering wrong, but were you the one that thought the PS5 wasn't coming until 2021, at the earliest?

No, I'm usually the one who either hopes that a successor will come every year or never.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.