By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony president on PS4 successor: “It’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”

Kerotan said:
vivster said:

No.

Why not? Imo people will say oh ps5 coming why upgrade to the ps4 Pro. Or next year they might just say not buying ps4 at all. 

Many factors and possibilities why PS4 and Pro will be fine and to a greater extent PlayStation as a whole.

#1 Gaming in general will have evolved by the time PS5 launches. PlayStation will have the upmost variety in platforms for different budgets. 

#2 Potentially the could introduce a Pro Slim 

#3 Price reduction is almost guaranteed any time after Black Friday.

#4 By the time PS5 launches we could be looking at prices like PS4-$199 PS4 Pro-$299 PS5-$399-$499. 

#5 Software and Cross-gen Software will always continue to sell console. This Holiday season is filling up well. The numbers I believe will do great amongst the big 3 gaming companies. Plus 2019 starts us off with RE2 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3 and Days Gone.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
think-man said:
It's probably not going to much more powerful than the Xbox one X if it wants to stay competitively priced.

Which is why people who think it is coming out in 2019 are out of their minds.  They forget that unless we are going to see incremental upgrades from now on (pro becomes to new low end, PS5 is the new "4k" machine, etc), we need more time to make a sizable jump into a new generation.  Like it or not, the Pro and X extended this generation.

Those people are out of their minds to think Sony would launch new gen JUST BEFORE NEW PROCESS AND APU IS AVAILABLE FROM AMD.
Why would they ever willingly forgo such a great advance in power/performance/$? What critical need would force such a wasteful move?
Of course they don't mention or address AMD's upcoming tech at all, of course because they're not basing things on tech fundamentals at all.
It's just a year and a console gen to them, hardware is irrelevant.

Shiken said:
bananaking21 said:
Yeah well obviously. But I don't see this releasing next year. 2020 seems like the sweet spot

I see it being no earlier than holiday 2020 and no later than holiday 2021, with 2020 being the more likely of the two.

I agree, and whether or not AMD 7nm is available is not strict determinant, but it's pricing/volume and that for memory.
If those are too high, it could make sense to wait another year or so to get better price that enables better spec which games will be built around.
I think it's also potentially worthwhile to wait for newer GPU, Sony is making plenty of $ on software/PSN, they have no urgency to launch early.
They should only launch when no new tech is likely to appear in next 2-3 years, that is when the stars are aligned for new gen.

Obviously.

I know you're all sick of hearing it but I pray everyday that we won't see next gen before Q4 2020.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
I know you're all sick of hearing it but I pray everyday that we won't see next gen before Q4 2020.

And I pray every day that you're wrong.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

While looking at next gen, am I the only one who is concerned about exploding hardware prices? In the US tariffs will also kick in and drive prices even higher. I think at this point we will be lucky when the PS5 launches at 599 $.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

looking forward to February, not only a shit load of game releases, but something tells me ps5 announcement as well. i will be out there at midnight for one, and have another preorder online to flip to make most if not all my money back like last time, broke even with ps4 launch, i was able to buy alot of games.

LiquorandGunFun said:
looking forward to February, not only a shit load of game releases, but something tells me ps5 announcement as well. i will be out there at midnight for one, and have another preorder online to flip to make most if not all my money back like last time, broke even with ps4 launch, i was able to buy alot of games.

Unless its a 2019 release, I highlt doubt you will get any announcement before E3. 

PS4/Pro will not be left on the market when PS5 releases (New games anyway), that is one way to cripple your new HW. Secondly, the difference between the two CPU's will be fucking huge.