By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony president on PS4 successor: “It’s necessary to have a next-generation hardware”

Is it not damaging for ps4 sales especially the pro to be talking about the ps5?

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Is it not damaging for ps4 sales especially the pro to be talking about the ps5?

No.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

it's necessary a successor with the right price and good games

vivster said:
Kerotan said:

No.

Why not? Imo people will say oh ps5 coming why upgrade to the ps4 Pro. Or next year they might just say not buying ps4 at all. 

Shiken said:
think-man said:
It's probably not going to much more powerful than the Xbox one X if it wants to stay competitively priced.

Which is why people who think it is coming out in 2019 are out of their minds.  They forget that unless we are going to see incremental upgrades from not on (pro becomes to new low end, PS5 is the new "4k" machine, etc), we need more time to make a sizable jump into a new generation.  Like it or not, the Pro and X extended this generation.

Even all that aside, I think those people also forget that console sale revenues is not where they make their money.
If a PS4 Pro costs them $350 to manufacture, package, ship, etc, then after the retailer's cut they make a few $10 dollar bills on each console sold.

They make a lot more money on software licensing for games, and services like PS+.
So for Sony it's immensely more valuable for them when games sell a lot, than if they had 50k extra console sales that month. Even if growing the install base is important, they are now at a point where they have a gigantic audience. They will want to enjoy these profits as much as they can rather than resetting the generation into uncertainty for 2-3 more years.

Not to mention, they can still go for a pricedrop for PS4 and PS4 Pro before they move on.

Kerotan said: 

@Kerotan
With no specifics like a name for the system, or formal announcement, just a vague answer to an off hand question like this, any damage would be minimal.

Last edited by Hiku - on 09 October 2018

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

I think at this point everybody knows that PS5 is coming sometime in the next 2 years anyway. A simple history lesson tells us that, the longest console generation ever (gen 7) only lasted 7 years for Sony, and Holiday 2020 marks 7 years for PS4. Those who are buying current gen consoles this late into the generation are buying them in spite of the knowledge that the successor is right around the corner, so no, I don't think Sony's president hinting that next gen is coming soon will affect sales much at all. 

Kerotan said:

Nope, he is just saying PS4 will have a successor. That have been said as early as 2016.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I hope he wasn't hoping for another PS4 update.

I can already see it ... PS4 Pro X !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Kerotan said:
vivster said:

No.

Why not? Imo people will say oh ps5 coming why upgrade to the ps4 Pro. Or next year they might just say not buying ps4 at all. 

Because of the library, why bothering buying a 400/500$ PS5 when you can have a 350$ 4K gaming with a huge library ? 

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Kerotan said:

I doubt it would affect sales of the base model, but yeah I think this will knock a little bit off of Pro sales.  I really don't think many people are buying the Pro already though.  In the Japanese #'s it seems to be about 20-25% of weekly PS4 sales.  Outside of Japan I don't know the numbers, but I would suspect that percentage is even lower.