By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do You Own a VR Device?

Do You Own a VR Device?

Yes, and it's awesome 168 13.05%

Yes, it's alright 84 6.53%

Yes, but I regret it 43 3.34%

No, but I really want one 143 11.11%

No, but I'm considering it 243 18.88%

No, not interested at all 606 47.09%

Total:1,287
Super_Boom said:

ARamdomGamer said:
No and I won't divulge if I want one or not.

What are your top 10 VR games.

1. Wario Land for the Virtual Boy.

Around the Network

Just curious, but for those who have VR, how's the horror selection? Because VR was made for horror, as far as I'm concerned.

CladInShadows said:
Just curious, but for those who have VR, how's the horror selection? Because VR was made for horror, as far as I'm concerned.

https://vrgamecritic.com/games

the-pi-guy said:
potato_hamster said:

Look, the writing is on the wall and it's not good. Oculus's next two headsets are standalone units. It appears they might have given up on PC-powered units altogether and are now focusing on affordable standalone units. 

The Oculus Quest which was just announced, was shown off as a prototype 2 years ago.  And they've been talking about it since.  

It's not something that came out of the blue because of poor rift sales.  

Additionally, after the Rift came out, Oculus talked about their 5 year plans for a Rift successor.  

potato_hamster said: 

let's be clear, I think VR, as it always has been, is here to stay. You'll keep seeing more VR headsets released over the years, and a steady stream of VR games that almost no one will buy and almost no one will play. But it just simply isn't ready for mainstream today. It's still very much an "early adopter" device and it doesn't look like it's crossing into crossing over into mainstream gaming any time soon. I think VR is just going to cater to it's hardcore niche fanbase, and I think companies like Sony and MS are just going to give up the market to these smaller players as it's becoming increasingly clear it just isn't worth their time. Just like EVE Online, there's nothing wrong with having a small, hardcore, dedicated fanbase. I just think VR enthusiasts need to accept that thats far more likely the future of VR than, as some have suggested, having GTA VI being a VR exclusive.

So do you think VR will ever be mainstream and when do you think that it'll?  

@bold, and I do.  I know that it's incredibly likely that VR will be dropped.  

It doesn't seem a bit strange to you that Oculus is releasing two stand alone VR headsets within a year of each other?

No, I don't think VR will ever be mainstream. I've always seen at as a niche experience. It's incredibly appealing to VR enthusiasts and not really worth it for everyone else.  Most gamers spend less than $200 on their game consoles. I just don't see it ever being worth the price tag to those people.

potato_hamster said:

It doesn't seem a bit strange to you that Oculus is releasing two stand alone VR headsets within a year of each other

Not particularly.  The Oculus Go basically replaces GearVR, and Oculus Quest is the stand alone they've been working on, since basically the Rift was launched.  

Additionally, stand alone is the easiest way to make a wireless headset.

potato_hamster said:

No, I don't think VR will ever be mainstream. I've always seen at as a niche experience. It's incredibly appealing to VR enthusiasts and not really worth it for everyone else.  Most gamers spend less than $200 on their game consoles. I just don't see it ever being worth the price tag to those people.

That's the thing though, the price will drop pretty substantially over the next 10 years.  A headset that beats out the PSVR in 10 years, could easily cost $50.  

Last edited by the-pi-guy - on 10 October 2018

Around the Network

The big anniversary sale started on psvr games.
There are tons of great titles on sale, unfortunately they all say purchased where the price would be :)

Is paranormal activity any good? And can you play it with DS4, smooth movement and rotation?

Movement options really need to be advertised on the game sale page. I still wanted to get Obduction, which is on sale and finally got the promised VR patch. However after looking into it, it requires move (ugh), has snap rotation (yuck) and only supports teleportation (why oh why). Then they dare to advertise it as Obduction is to VR as what Myst was for PC. Emm no, it doesn't even have any pro enhancements. Has anyone played it? Is it still playable and worth it with teleportation?

All the stuff I'm really interested in is in the pre-order section doh. Borderlands VR should be great, they surely can't limit that to teleportation...

Firewall zero hour is on sale as well. Might be fun with the aim controller. However I still have enough to catch up on anyway before RDR2 takes over my time.

SvennoJ said:

The big anniversary sale started on psvr games.
There are tons of great titles on sale, unfortunately they all say purchased where the price would be :)

Is paranormal activity any good? And can you play it with DS4, smooth movement and rotation?

Movement options really need to be advertised on the game sale page. I still wanted to get Obduction, which is on sale and finally got the promised VR patch. However after looking into it, it requires move (ugh), has snap rotation (yuck) and only supports teleportation (why oh why). Then they dare to advertise it as Obduction is to VR as what Myst was for PC. Emm no, it doesn't even have any pro enhancements. Has anyone played it? Is it still playable and worth it with teleportation?

All the stuff I'm really interested in is in the pre-order section doh. Borderlands VR should be great, they surely can't limit that to teleportation...

Firewall zero hour is on sale as well. Might be fun with the aim controller. However I still have enough to catch up on anyway before RDR2 takes over my time.

I really don't need to buy any more games right now.

I really don't.

*Goes to the sale*

Twitter: @d21lewis

SvennoJ said:

No idea, but I found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/6tweer/quick_review_paranormal_activity_the_lost_soul/

SvennoJ said:

Haven't played, but out of curiosity, what experience do you have with teleportation?

SvennoJ said:

Borderlands VR has regular locomotion and teleportation as options.  

I purchased a PS VR last year for some gaming and 3D blu-rays. While I have not used it in a while (though that is mostly due to the fact that I have not had the time), I do enjoy my time with it. I love watching 3D movies on it, and the Sony Playroom VR showed me that there is lots of fun potential here. My main issue has been that most of the games thus far have been experiences rather than full fledge games, but this is not something I blame the devs for since more needs to be done to mainstream the hardware and ultimately create a viable installbase for bigger projects. I appreciate the companies, such Bethesda, that are bringing ports of larger projects over. However, I am most thankful to Sony, who have created Astrobot, which is a brand new game and looks to be what I wanted from a VR platformer game.

the-pi-guy said:
potato_hamster said:

It doesn't seem a bit strange to you that Oculus is releasing two stand alone VR headsets within a year of each other

Not particularly.  The Oculus Go basically replaces GearVR, and Oculus Quest is the stand alone they've been working on, since basically the Rift was launched.  

Additionally, stand alone is the easiest way to make a wireless headset.

potato_hamster said:

That's the thing though, the price will drop pretty substantially over the next 10 years.  A headset that beats out the PSVR in 10 years, could easily cost $50.  

How does the Oculus Go replace something Samsung gives away for free with their smartphones, and requires a smartphone to use?

The easiest way to make a wireless headset is to make it self contained? Why? How is developing a processing solution capable of playing and rendering entire games + VR video output + location and motion tracking easier than developing a processing solution that at most has to manage the location and motion tracking and can offload the rest to a games console/PC?

What makes you think A VR headset will cost significantly less than it will 10 years from now? For example. Game controllers: A PS controller when it was released in 1994 was about $19.99, maybe $29.99. I can't remember. Now controllers have evolved, they've gotten more complicated, they're far more advanced, have far more features, and now a basic PS4 controller is $59.99-$64.99 By your logic, they should cost about $5 today, shouldn't they?