By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Reverse Climate Change?

EricHiggin said:
Hynad said:

It’s too late to prevent climate change. And there is no reversing it.

Problem with many is that when they see it is too late to prevent climate change, they go “it’s innevitable anyway” and do nothing.

But it is not too late to act and diminish its impact. Instead of doing nothing and keep worsening it as we do right now.

This video is in french, but if you understand the language, it is something most people should watch:

https://youtu.be/R7sMZiSKmqg

This documentary says otherwise. Just look at what some of the reputable people interviewed in it have to say, right at the very beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhCQv5tNsQ

Climate change fluctuates initially because of the sun and it's variable output. Clouds and carbon, etc, follows as a result, so they explain. They even bring to light the politics behind it, which we all know politics has it's hands in almost everything.

The title of the video is a little misleading, as it doesn't try to disprove climate change, it just explains the main factor is not carbon as we've been told.

Isn't one of the main factor the earth orbital forcing. The earth north/south a is tilts/ rotates a bit over time. Kind a like a ball which rolls a tiny bit away from the sun and than back towards it. This eventually causes ice ages on the Northern henisphere because it receives less energy from sun light up to 25 to 50%. (Milanktovich cycle) 

While there are solar cycles, periods in which the sun is more active and less active. They usually don't take  longer than11years.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Volcanic ashes cool down the earth. A couple of nukes can set off the big one. Big problem, big solution!

As I said before, reducing input of sunlight is one way to fight the change. Not that we really want the nuking and all. Also hard to balance this right, too much and it gets colder.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hynad said:

It’s too late to prevent climate change. And there is no reversing it.

Problem with many is that when they see it is too late to prevent climate change, they go “it’s innevitable anyway” and do nothing.

But it is not too late to act and diminish its impact. Instead of doing nothing and keep worsening it as we do right now.

I agree. Even as we currently cannot stop climate chang and even if we complete stopped emitting greenhouse gases right now, the change would continue for about a hundred years, it is clear that if we go on like that the result only becomes worse.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

A man once reversed cooling by the actions of himself and his descendants across large swaths of Asia and Europe.

His name was Genghis Khan.

https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2011/jan/26/genghis-khan-eco-warrior
https://www.livescience.com/11739-wars-plagues-carbon-climate.html
https://news.mongabay.com/2011/01/how-genghis-khan-cooled-the-planet/

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Mnementh said:
SvennoJ said:
Volcanic ashes cool down the earth. A couple of nukes can set off the big one. Big problem, big solution!

As I said before, reducing input of sunlight is one way to fight the change. Not that we really want the nuking and all. Also hard to balance this right, too much and it gets colder.

Another option is to build a solar shield / mirror the circumference of the earth at the Lagrange point between earth and sun. Huge LCD shutter glasses to control how much light can get through :) Of course with current tech no chance.

I wonder if solar panels provide cooling. They keep your roof 3c cooler, yet that's just preventing the heat from reaching your roof. Do they actually convert solar heat to energy? I'm guessing using mirrors to focus sunlight at a central point to turn water into steam does take heat away. You probably need to cover the entire desert with these to make any kind of difference.

Around the Network

contestgamer said:
If you live in the west then the effects of climate change are unlikely to be felt in your life time. I wouldnt worry about it or waste my 'energy' trying to save energy.

The changes are already felt in Europe, where the summers keep getting hotter and dryer. Forrest fires were extremely rare 20-30 years ago, now you get several each and every year.

In the US, it's mostly felt in Miami and New Orleans which are fighting against drowning from sea level rise. Miami has puddles of saltwater in some streets at high tide due to seawater flowing through the sewers and spilling up into the streets. New Orleans is subsiding on top of the sea level rise, the wetlands around the city are shrinking as they get filled with saltwater. Another Katrina would pretty much make the city unhabitable.

I don't know if you have a family or even kids, but if you do, would you really want to leave a wasteland for them since you couldn't care for the future?

EricHiggin said:

This documentary says otherwise. Just look at what some of the reputable people interviewed in it have to say, right at the very beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYhCQv5tNsQ

Climate change fluctuates initially because of the sun and it's variable output. Clouds and carbon, etc, follows as a result, so they explain. They even bring to light the politics behind it, which we all know politics has it's hands in almost everything.

The title of the video is a little misleading, as it doesn't try to disprove climate change, it just explains the main factor is not carbon as we've been told.

That's pure bullshit. If it were true then the earth would be cooling off for years again, as solar activity is very low right now.

Solar activity is cyclic, every dozen years or so the sun switches between high and low activity, but the climate doesn't follow suit. The melting isn't stopping (which it should have by now according to that theory), it's not getting cooler, the sea level continues to rise (even outside of the melting due to thermal expansion, the warmer the oceans, the more volume they take)...

That "documentary" had been largely criticized by most climatologists, and also some scientists appearing in the flick who got quote mined and misrepresented.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
contestgamer said:
If you live in the west then the effects of climate change are unlikely to be felt in your life time. I wouldnt worry about it or waste my 'energy' trying to save energy.

The changes are already felt in Europe, where the summers keep getting hotter and dryer. Forrest fires were extremely rare 20-30 years ago, now you get several each and every year.

In the US, it's mostly felt in Miami and New Orleans which are fighting against drowning from sea level rise. Miami has puddles of saltwater in some streets at high tide due to seawater flowing through the sewers and spilling up into the streets. New Orleans is subsiding on top of the sea level rise, the wetlands around the city are shrinking as they get filled with saltwater. Another Katrina would pretty much make the city unhabitable.

I don't know if you have a family or even kids, but if you do, would you really want to leave a wasteland for them since you couldn't care for the future?

I dont have any, and dont have interest in having any. Yeah Miami is going down, but the US is a big place and there's a lot of land those people can move to. Here in the northeast we're going to have much milder weather than we did before - we already do. So there's trade offs either way. Keep the status quo and the north remains a cold wasteland, while the south remains nice and warm. Or we can let things take their course and make the north more hospitable and let the south dry out. Since I'm up north I'll go with the latter.

Changing human behavior is hard, very hard. Using more energy efficient lights is not going to make a dent. Energy consumption keeps going up with more and more electronics getting used in every day life.

Things that will make a difference are a break through in Fusion power, more nuclear power plants until then. More electric vehicles. Switching cargo ships to clean hydrogen for fuel source, as well as trucks. Electrify the rail network and build high speed rail lines to replace domestic air travel. Develop roof tiles with built in solar panels and make them mandatory for new housing projects.