By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Reverse Climate Change?

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:
Changing human behavior is hard, very hard. Using more energy efficient lights is not going to make a dent. Energy consumption keeps going up with more and more electronics getting used in every day life.

Things that will make a difference are a break through in Fusion power, more nuclear power plants until then. More electric vehicles. Switching cargo ships to clean hydrogen for fuel source, as well as trucks. Electrify the rail network and build high speed rail lines to replace domestic air travel. Develop roof tiles with built in solar panels and make them mandatory for new housing projects.

Well. Fitness is stupidly important to me, so I prefer not to use vehicles at all.
I have LED lighting through my home.
Avoid pre-packaged foods, mostly for health benefits.

And my home is powered by Windfarms... Which consequently also do not always generate energy... So the wind farms energy is actually used to split water into Hydrogen to generate power when the wind isn't blowing. (Hydrogen being a form of energy storage.)

We drive less than 8k km per year, I cycle about 5k km per year. That's fitness and car use covered :)
I avoid having lights on at home, yet it's mostly tv, consoles, computers, laptops, amplifier, airco, microwave, etc that are responsible for electricity usage.
Buying locally sourced food when possible is a great help. Most of the pollution comes from shipping everything back and forth over the world.

Our home is simply connected to the grid. Which is as of now, 68% nuclear, 27% hydro, 3.6% wind, 1.2% gas. I've been seeing more solar farms around here but I guess they still contribute so little as to be grouped in other. (Oh stupid me, it's dark atm duh)
https://cns-snc.ca/media/ontarioelectricity/ontarioelectricity.html

I wonder how much online shopping contributes to global warming. All those deliveries add up as well.

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
EricHiggin said:

You didn't consider cloud formations. If there are lots of clouds but the sun is at a peak, more get's reflected before it get's to Earth and leads to cooler weather than if the sky is clear. If the sun is at a low but the sky is clear, it can more easily reach Earth and lead to warmer weather, yet with cloudy skies can lead to much cooler weather. The warmer and cooler weather also effects how and when clouds form, so they directly effect each other.

Water is actually one of the biggest culprits to trapping heat.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-references/faq/greenhouse-gases.php?section=watervapor

Correct. This ties into cloud formation. Just another link in the chain.

CO2 currently only makes up around 0.04% of the entire atmosphere, while water vapor varies and can be from 0.01% up to 4.0% depending on temperature and air density. 

contestgamer said:
If you live in the west then the effects of climate change are unlikely to be felt in your life time. I wouldnt worry about it or waste my 'energy' trying to save energy.

people care for the future generations...

Pemalite said:

Instead of millions of years though, we could be talking merely hundreds.

Even the IPCC's fifth assessment report doesn't have as negative of a forecast as you and the others here do ... (on page 11 it states that there's virtually no chance that anthropogenic activities will cause a runaway greenhouse effect like we see on Venus) 

Here's a good video explaining it below:

Now without further ado, people here need to take a chill pill instead of worrying about a hypothetical fossil fuel induced climate change armageddon (NASA even shows evidence that earth is getting greener thanks to higher CO2 levels) because the day earth becomes uninhabitable will not be in thousands, millions or even tens of millions of years ... 

It'll take at least 100 million years for earth to become uninhabitable but that's mainly due to the sun constantly expanding rather than down to our consumption of petrochemicals ... 

EricHiggin said:
Pemalite said:

Water is actually one of the biggest culprits to trapping heat.
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-references/faq/greenhouse-gases.php?section=watervapor

Correct. This ties into cloud formation. Just another link in the chain.

CO2 currently only makes up around 0.04% of the entire atmosphere, while water vapor varies and can be from 0.01% up to 4.0% depending on temperature and air density. 

All plays into each other. Hence why it's called an "Ecosystem". - The more CO2... The more evaporation, the more water in our atmosphere, the more heat that is trapped.

I am actually amazed at how little some individuals don't follow basic Physics/Science and will happily deny it all... Then again, thousands of people believe the world is flat, so there is that.

And in my line of work, every year is getting more intense.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
Pemalite said:

Instead of millions of years though, we could be talking merely hundreds.

Even the IPCC's fifth assessment report doesn't have as negative of a forecast as you and the others here do ... (on page 11 it states that there's virtually no chance that anthropogenic activities will cause a runaway greenhouse effect like we see on Venus) 

Now without further ado, people here need to take a chill pill instead of worrying about a hypothetical fossil fuel induced climate change armageddon (NASA even shows evidence that earth is getting greener thanks to higher CO2 levels) because the day earth becomes uninhabitable will not be in thousands, millions or even tens of millions of years ... 

It'll take at least 100 million years for earth to become uninhabitable but that's mainly due to the sun constantly expanding rather than down to our consumption of petrochemicals ... 

creator of that video made errors in calculations

ResilientFighter said:

creator of that video made errors in calculations

Point it out to me when and where ... 

We just need to open up the ozone hole again so that all that pent up hot air can escape.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

its called climate change bc global warming cant win. and as always op blames america. go figure.

You should probably take a look at what the effect of almost 2 trillion tons of CO2 will do when our arctic regions permafrost continues to decline... To put that into perspective, that would be like doubling our current carbon levels in the Atmosphere which is already very high.
Now... Just like your NASA youtube video describes... A large portion of the earth becoming greener is actually in the arctic regions, that is far from being a good thing, due to the above.

In places like Australia... And I am speaking as a firefighter... More greening isn't actually a good thing... That means fuel loads will be higher and drier in our intense summers, flora that has adapted to the current conditions will decline and invasive species will be more likely to take over... And that means our fauna will also be impacted.
Again. Not a good thing.

Greenhouse has a cascading, accelerated effect.

The other issue is... Even just 1-2'C of warming can have a devastating effect, Oceans hold a significant amount of dissolved CO2... And as they warm, they release more CO2, so CO2 levels will continue to accelerate.
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20413-warmer-oceans-release-co2-faster-than-thought/

As for my statement about "hundreds of years". - We have increased CO2 levels from 280PPM to 400PM in around 100 years... And we have only continued to spew CO2 into the atmosphere at an exponential rate... What will happen in say... 500 years time?
https://futureoflife.org/2018/02/06/if-atmospheric-co2-doubles-how-hot-will-it-get/?cn-reloaded=1

<SNIP>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runaway_greenhouse_effect

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--