By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wall Street Journal Japan Reports A New Switch Model Will Release In The Second Half Of 2019

Miyamotoo said:
Nautilus said:

Honestly, I think its too soon.I mean, at least in my view, it dosent make sense the reasoning behind it, which it is to keep Switch sales momentum going.If that were the case, all Nintendo had to do is give the system a price cut, and leave the revision for later, which I assume would have an 1080p screen and better performance exclusively to get the resolutions on undocked mode to 1080p and keep the framerate steady and acceptable.Maybe to also improve overall performance on docked mode too.Not to mention any other benefits they could also fit in there, such as bigger storage size.

I dont know.For me, a revision for 2020 makes far more sense.It should be noted that this is a report, and thus a "rumor", so always take these news with a grain of salt.

Its not too soon, every Nintendo handheld had some kind difrent type of revision around 2 years after launch, and Switch hardware is essentially handheld and has even more opportunities for different type of revisions than 3DS. Point is simple, offer different price point of Switch platform, for instance you have 3DS for $80, $150 and $200 and 3DS is dying fast, so smaller and lower price point revision for Switch totally make sense, stronger and more pricey Pro not that much curently.

Nautilus said: 

But this IS the definition of being vague, even if they dont know the details...

But main point of this rumour is not if will be Mini or Pro, but point that new version of Switch is coming next year in any case.

But thats the problem.The Switch is not a handheld, its a hybrid.You could say that since its half handheld, it would inherit not only its traits but also its overall market strategies.But the same can be said about its home console side, and we know how many revisions they had, and how often they are.Personally, it dosent make sense.Nintendo would be wasting an Ace they would have in their sleeves too early instead of using one that is more natural at this stage and would have a far bigger impact without a secong SKU in the market, which is the price cut.Not to mention that, if they introduce the Switch Pro(Because it wont be a Switch mini that is entirely handheld, thats never going to happen, just plain wont) after the price cut, they can make more people double dip, than if they release said SKU before the price drop.The facts simply dosent add up.

I have no doubt in my mind that Nintendo is already hard at work in an improved Switch, but I dont think its comming in 2019 at all.And about the rumor:No matter that the report is about Nintendo making something, if people want to talk about wether its a Pro, or a Mini, or a Switch Station or whatever, with the details that there is on the report, its simply too vague to make one conclusion or another.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

This'll be the same ol' horse and pony show. You're looking at slightly improved specs that only a handful of games that will take advantage of, better battery life, maybe a larger screen with a smaller bezel. Nintendo painted themselves into a corner by making the Joycons a certain size and by making games that require their use exclusively.

Nintendo have mentioned wanting to get the Nintendo Switch from one-per-household to one-per-person with the biggest obstacle being price, compared to the 3DS.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180502e.pdf

Kimishima said:

Consumers purchased Nintendo 3DS systems in numbers we expected last fiscal year. It has  an  ample  software  lineup  at  a price point that makes the system affordable especially for  parents looking to buy for their kids . We expect that demand to continue during this fiscal year  as well, so we will continue to sell the product.

Given  that  Nintendo  Switch  is  a  home  gaming  system  that  can  be  taken  on  the  go,  this situation may change if  it  grows  from  being  a  one -per -household  system  to  a  one -per -person  system.

But the price of the Nintendo Switch is not something with which most parents would buy a  system for every one of their children in a short period of time.

Moving forward, we will work to  ascertain  what  kinds  of  play  people  want  at which price points,  and  as  long  as  there  is  such  demand,  we  will  continue  to  sell  the  Nintendo  3DS  system.  I  see  the  product  coexisting  with  Nintendo Switch at this point in time.

Also note, the currently announced software lineup of 2019, by no coincidence, has a lot of marquee titles that most recently appeared VERY successful in their handheld entries: Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, etc.

Based on both Nintendo's comments AND their currently announce game lineup for 2019, it is much more likely to be a Nintendo Switch Mini or Nintendo Switch SP than any other revision in order to satisfy their traditionally handheld gamer that prefer a more compact form factor AND parents buying the system as a gift at a lower price point than is also more durable and friendly for younger owners.

There has simply been no indication of Nintendo focusing on Higher resolutions/CPU clocks/GPU clocks at this point in time.

Miyamotoo said:

Smaller, cheaper Switch with better battery life has most sense when we know that 3DS dying and they will need lower price point instead, not actually more price version of Switch.

And like some people stated, with launch of Gen 8 Pokemon they will want much more affordable Switch then $300 Switch.

I could see something like this

Given the timing of the new model, I think something like this is very likely.  Pokemon is coming out at the end of 2019, and they are going to need a way to make the Switch as cheap and kid friendly as possible.  Most Pokemon fans are kids, and lots of parents are not going to want to buy their child an expensive system with detachable parts that can get lost/broken easily.

(Also, every time you post I still double take.  I thought this was quickrick at first until I saw how reasonable the comment was.)

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 04 October 2018

It seems they're changing the screen on the Switch to a different type.

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-new-switch-model-coming-in-second-half-of-2019/

UPDATE: The American Wall Street Journal just reported on the new Switch model. Here are some details about Nintendo’s plans, including possibly improving the display:

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn’t expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.’sAAPL 1.22% iPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

Around the Network

That was clear! The official announcement comes in June 2019 on the E3 / directly from Japan.
Release: In summer or end of 2019.

Nautilus said:
Miyamotoo said:

Its not too soon, every Nintendo handheld had some kind difrent type of revision around 2 years after launch, and Switch hardware is essentially handheld and has even more opportunities for different type of revisions than 3DS. Point is simple, offer different price point of Switch platform, for instance you have 3DS for $80, $150 and $200 and 3DS is dying fast, so smaller and lower price point revision for Switch totally make sense, stronger and more pricey Pro not that much curently.

But main point of this rumour is not if will be Mini or Pro, but point that new version of Switch is coming next year in any case.

But thats the problem.The Switch is not a handheld, its a hybrid.You could say that since its half handheld, it would inherit not only its traits but also its overall market strategies.But the same can be said about its home console side, and we know how many revisions they had, and how often they are.Personally, it dosent make sense.Nintendo would be wasting an Ace they would have in their sleeves too early instead of using one that is more natural at this stage and would have a far bigger impact without a secong SKU in the market, which is the price cut.Not to mention that, if they introduce the Switch Pro(Because it wont be a Switch mini that is entirely handheld, thats never going to happen, just plain wont) after the price cut, they can make more people double dip, than if they release said SKU before the price drop.The facts simply dosent add up.

I have no doubt in my mind that Nintendo is already hard at work in an improved Switch, but I dont think its comming in 2019 at all.And about the rumor:No matter that the report is about Nintendo making something, if people want to talk about wether its a Pro, or a Mini, or a Switch Station or whatever, with the details that there is on the report, its simply too vague to make one conclusion or another.

Current Switch is hybrid buy concept but its handheld hardware. You need to start looking at Switch like platform not just single device, look at 3DS, 3DS, 3DS XL, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS, 2DS XL, they are all part of 3DS platfor, Switch will defiantly have multiply revisons, I can bet that Switch will at least have low price offer of platform (Switch Mini/Pocket), mid price offer of Switch (current Switch model) and higher price point offer (Switch Pro). Talking about cheaper Switch Mini/Pocket that will definatly happen in same way, think about 2DS, it dont have 3D, it dont have clamshell design, some 3DS games cant work on it at all, but Nintendo releases it simple because they made much more affordible offer of 3DS family compared to regular 3DS.

Every handheld revision come out after around 2 years of launch of handheld, and with point that 3DS is dying and Nintendo will left whithout low price offer on market, it make much more sense to release low price offer on Switch not more stronger and more pricey offer of Switch platform, espacily when want to start selling like one-per-person instead one-per-household like is curently selling.

Its also worth mentioning that Pokemon rearly happening without a cheaper revision for maximum reach in their targer audience, and next year will also have Animal Crossing and Pokemon gen 8. So Nintendo probable planned cheaper version to be ready for AC and Pokemon launch.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 04 October 2018

Perhaps in addition to a Switch Lite that could be $199, they may also do a price cut for the original model. Although I don’t think they’d go lower than $249.

potato_hamster said:
This'll be the same ol' horse and pony show. You're looking at slightly improved specs that only a handful of games that will take advantage of, better battery life, maybe a larger screen with a smaller bezel. Nintendo painted themselves into a corner by making the Joycons a certain size and by making games that require their use exclusively.

It doesn't have to be. Every Switch game has to be scalable by default and already has two graphic presets. Adding a third preset for the docked mode of a stronger Switch (f.e. dynamic 1080p or native 1080p) shouldn't be that hard for developers.

In portable mode Nintendo could offer  the choice between the old docked mode (better graphics) or the old undocked mode (better battery life.

A Switch mini with integrated sticks and buttons would be able to use standard joycons as accessories in tabletop mode or TV mode (wireless connection) and be 100% compatible to the standard Switch. So if you want to play with joycons, you buy them as accessory... if you aren't interested in the joycon features, you save that money.

Last edited by Conina - on 04 October 2018

Jranation said:
Dulfite said:
If Animal Crossing multiplayer can be more enjoyed with two switches (instead of split screen) in terms of features and functionality, then I am interested in getting a second switch for my wife. If they release a cheaper and smaller one, that rises to a strong leaning towards that purchase.

Has there been a Split Screen Animal Crossing? 

Uh, not what I meant. I just mean I hope they do this instead of going the split screen route. That being said, I think the one on Wii had some kind of local multiplayer, but I could be wrong?