By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will an improved switch-hardware be released ?

When will an improved switch-hardware be released?

End of 2019, I think so too. 16 25.40%

2020! 22 34.92%

2021. 11 17.46%

Maybe.. (other year or theory) 7 11.11%

nintendo will only develo... 4 6.35%

see results 3 4.76%

Total:63

When will an improved switch-hardware be released? A simple question, what do you think ? I've heard from someone: a stronger new nintendo switch-hardware is coming, end of 2019. An announcement could be made in June, direct from Japan or at E3 2019 - but right now it's just rumors. This person was also right with the new PS1(Classic)-console, its interesting. I think a better switch-version appears someday, but the question is when? :) And will it only have better graphic / more details? Or other new features (4k? VR?), what do you think for the future ? Personally, I hope it's true.

I'm curious about your thoughts and theory.

Last edited by KazumaKiryu - on 02 October 2018

Around the Network

it makes no sense considering the Switch's consistent success. Indie games have been selling phenomenally, first party exclusives are selling betting than they ever have, and AAA companies are eager to get their games to the platform. but thats only because the Switch is a singular entity. if a new, more powerful Switch got announced in the midst of the Switch's success, it would ruin everything. AAA devs would only want to use the more powerful hardware, owners of the original Switch would be cut off from third parties, it would require more effort to port games due to needing to optimize it for multiple sets of hardware, etc. the best thing for them to do is to ride out this success and then release a Switch 2

2020. This would stop the possibility of any decline in sales. I have no idea what features it would add

End of 2020 or 2021. Switch+ will probably has power between standard XB1 and PS4, but with more advanced technology.

3DS-Feb 2011
New 3DS-Oct 2014

PS4-Nov 2013
PS4 Pro-Nov 2016

XB1-Nov 2013
XB1X-Nov 2017

All three of these had their upgrade 3-4 years after launch so I would say sometime in 2020 or 2021.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I'm not sure Nintendo will go that way. Not for the near future anyways. Sure, 3DS had the New 3DS with enhanced processing power, but this was mostly unused. Not sure what we would gain from a more powerful chipset.

I can see though other directions for a mid-life refresh:

• revision for better portability: bigger battery, smaller screen without bezels (but same joycons which may be bigger than the switch), chipset with same power but less consumption
  • bigger screen version of the switch: the opposite of the above with an even bigger portable screen
  • docks with additional functionality: 4K-dock with upscaling for instance

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

RolStoppable said:
If Nintendo is smart, never. There's no benefit that could come from a Switch with more processing power that couldn't be achieved by more logical revisions that improve things such as portability and battery life.

They can do both.

2DS/New 3DS

PS4 Slim/Pro

XB1 S/X

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Never. You should wait for the new Nintendo System in 2022.
The Nintendo Switch is already the hardware evolution of the WiiU , the Switch is the WiiU Pro.

EDIT : let's see how long it takes before I get insults of "troll" and finaly be banished for defending my point of view.

Never, i want them to focus on the true successor for 2022

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

They can do both.

2DS/New 3DS

PS4 Slim/Pro

XB1 S/X

That's an incorrect comparison.

PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are high-end models with new price points while the New 3DS models assumed the price points of the models they replaced. New 3DS is more comparable to PS4 Slim and Xbox One S, because they all replaced models that were phased out shortly afterwards.

They are fine comparisons, Nintendo can release a more powerful model while also releasing a smaller model like those 3 did.