By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What type of videos games do you not like?

JRPGS and Cinematic QTE styled games with a couple games as exceptions. Are probably my least favourite, than you have Sport games which are probably my worst.

QTE Cinematic Games look amazing but I much prefer games where you have to think and require lots of skill to play, giving everyone different experiences rather than just the same experience as everyone else.

JRPGs Games are cool, I just have no idea what the hell is going on in those games. It took me years to work out what actually happened in FF7 and even today I am still trying to work it out. Plus too many JRPGs are all the same these days.

Sport Games just bore me. I would rather play the sport or watch it on TV rather than play the games.

Around the Network

Simulation Racers
jRPG’s
Sports
MMO’s (or, anything that mainly an online game actually, I don’t even know what all those genres are called today, MOBA, GAAS, whatever)
Visual Novels
Party games

Though everyone of those beside MMO has had it’s exceptions. Obviously there’s also some genres I’m more indifferent to, but I don’t really dislike those.

Also EA. Though that’s not a genre, I don’t like anything that bears the name of EA by default, because it bears the name of EA.

There is no type that I dislike. But, I don't really play sports, sims, fighting games, or jrpgs. There are occasional exceptions though

Shooters, RPG's, sports games, racing games, fighting games, online games, open world games, cinematic games, games with too much story and dialogue...

Unless they're made by Nintendo.

Last edited by Flilix - on 30 September 2018

Hardcore sports sims, most fighting games, cinema and dialogue heavy, very linear games, most turn based JRPGs (at least the more modern ones), point and click adventures/visual novel type stuff.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Most online games. I'm more of a singleplayer and couch multiplayer person.

B O I

Role playing games. They're boring.

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

John2290 said:
It's like saying what type of woman do you not like. Nonsense.

You like Caitlyn Jenner? Whatever floats your boat bro. 

- Platformer "games". The single most boring type of game to me. It's a dated mechanic that I've played so much of on the early systems that I never want to see it again. There is zero immersion for me when the main thing your character is doing is jumping--again, and again, and again. It's so static, like an obstacle course. Related to that, I think one of the worst game designs in the industry is the "fall to the bottom and have to do all the jumping over again." That's usually the point where I say, "nah, I think I'll go watch paint dry instead."

- Games that are based around the concept of levels or zones. This is another immersion crusher for me. When I play a game, I want to have the ultimate goal in mind. Games that are all about reaching the end of a "level" so you can start another "level" feel so meaningless and lack cohesion.

- Games where you're playing as some kind of soulless caricature or shallow mascot. If I don't care about the character then I probably won't care about the game. I'd rather play a game with no main character where I can make up my own rather than play a goofy character I can't identify with.

- "Action" RPGs where you have a party you don't control. If I'm going to play a solo game then I want it to be solo. If I'm going to play a party game then I want to play all my characters.

Genres I don't like:  

Bethesda RPGs - somehow they messed up my favorite genre.  That takes talent.
FPS - I just don't like the first person perspective.  Games like Mirror's Edge fall under this too.
Realistic Sports - Madden, FIFA, etc....
Puzzle Platformer - This is a good way to mess up a platformer game.

Genres I really, really like:

RPGs - my favorite genre overall except the Bethesda ones
Turn Based Strategy
Tactical Games - RPG or not
Open World Action
2D Beatem Up
2D platformers
Arcade Racers
Light Gun
Rhythm - especially if they have instruments
Tower Defense
Arcade puzzle - e.g. Tetris, Katamari, etc...

Genres I sometimes like:

3rd Person Shooter
3D platformer
Arcade sports
Adventure
Fighting
3D Beatem Up
RTS
Horror
Simulation
Realistic Racer
Party 
Shmup

I think the only genre I haven't tried is MOBA.  Most of those are on mobile platforms which I usually don't fool with.