Forums - Gaming Discussion - RDR2 Requires 105 GB of Storage Space on PS4

deskpro2k3 said:
sad to say this but this could be the beginning of a new trend.. the end of the physical disc. At most a disc can hold up to is 50GB, and then come the updates that requires a hard drive to store the data.

Perhaps we'll need the next version of BR 4K disc tripple layered or something... next gen would be perfect for that me thinks (thats 100gb)

Last edited by Madword - on 27 September 2018

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

that is 10% of my monthly data cap. higher with for sure updates. not real stoked about that at all.

Shadis said:
Wow I read that as:
"R2D2 Requires 105 GB of Storage Space on PS4"

I was like I didn't even realize they had a new Star Wars game coming out, let alone one about R2D2!

LOL I did so, too, but I thought it was about a super high quality 3D render of R2D2 rendered on the PS4 hardware

mZuzek said:
As a Nintendo fan, AAA game sizes are actually mind boggling. You would wonder what they even need all that storage for... 4K textures I guess.

As a Nintendo and Indie fan... I can still say the same. And I swallowed hard last week when I saw the size of the Bard's Tale IV installation...

Fail!

Screw this. I'm not getting the game now. I actually like owning my games. This is just a token disc that lets you download the real game. These people just lost a sale with me.

deskpro2k3 said:
sad to say this but this could be the beginning of a new trend.. the end of the physical disc. At most a disc can hold up to is 50GB, and then come the updates that requires a hard drive to store the data.

discs are pretty much worthless anyway. Even if the game came on 2 BluRays, the files would be outdated quickly. If you try to install it In two years, you can maybe install 20GB from disc, but you'd need to download the other 80GB.

Recently installed Halo MCC from disc and it was pretty much the same scenario. Could install maybe 10GB from disc and had to download 60GB to get the most recent files.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Fail!

Screw this. I'm not getting the game now. I actually like owning my games. This is just a token disc that lets you download the real game. These people just lost a sale with me.

Doubt it. I bet the full game is on disc.

105GB is not the install size. It's just the amount of space you need to have for it to install since the game is extracting itself on the HDD.

RetroGamer94 said:
So crazy how large games are now. Is it just textures and lack of compressions to some items? It’s getting crazy.

tbh I feel the same way.
This is also why Nintendo dont do voice acting (it costs more, requires more effort, takes up alot of space ect)
And why nintendo dont chase realistic graphics, and textures like these.
It costs too much, theres no reason to because a good game doesnt need insane graphics.

Like Mario Oddessey is just 5.7 GB or something.

A lot of gigabytes.

Is that with or without 4K textures?

We are getting to the point where I only go digital and uninstall after beating a game to free up space.

Less space plz.
At least carts are more flexible with size lol, and disks lost meaning at this point as phisical storage. It's no longer plop in the disk and play...