By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - RDR2 Requires 105 GB of Storage Space on PS4

shikamaru317 said:

This shouldn't surprise anyone. GTA V was one of the few late life 360/PS3 games to come on multiple discs, 3 discs as I recall, making it one of, if not the largest, 7th gen games. R* games are huge in scope, RDR2 is said to have an even larger map than GTA V. RDR2 runs at one half 4K resolution on PS4 Pro according to digital foundry, 1920 x 2160, so we're most likely looking at bigger texture installs on Pro. Audio will be a large part of it, as I recall R* doesn't like to compress their audio files. 

Only the 360 version had multiple disks. 2 of them.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
COKTOE said:

I seem to remember installing 3 discs on my 360, but might have been 2. Regardless, the game was huge on last gen, 15.5 GB, and that was before GTA Online was added. GTA V had one of the biggest installs of any 7th gen game, there were only a handful of 3 disc games like Final Fantasy 13 which were larger, and GTA V ended up passing them all after GTA Online hit. It was so big that it wouldn't fit on a launch model 20 GB Xbox 360 after GTA Online hit.

I looked it up, and it's 2 disks. Apparently the player never needed to swap disks ( good thing, that would totally ruin a game like GTA V. lol ) just install the first disk and play off the second. Actually, that 15.5gb file size range was quite common on the PS3 as far as first and third party exclusives were concerned. The 3 PS3 Yakuza games were all around the 20gb mark for example.

-Just for fun, I looked up the file sizes for FF XIII. 18gb on the 360 and 38gb on the PS3. I'm quite sure that was due in large part to the usage of blu-ray quality cutscenes in the PS3 version.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 27 September 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Madword said:
melbye said:
Nintendo seems to be the only ones even bothering with proper compression these days

Lol...What is proper compression?

Dont think you can compare lower resolution Nintendo games with upto 4k high fidelity games.

Even before 4K i just think games were a lot bigger than they needed to

shikamaru317 said:
COKTOE said:

I seem to remember installing 3 discs on my 360, but might have been 2. Regardless, the game was huge on last gen, 15.5 GB, and that was before GTA Online was added. GTA V had one of the biggest installs of any 7th gen game, there were only a handful of 3 disc games like Final Fantasy 13 which were larger, and GTA V ended up passing them all after GTA Online hit. It was so big that it wouldn't fit on a launch model 20 GB Xbox 360 after GTA Online hit.

No, God of War 3 was 35 GB on PS3. GoW: Ascension was 40 GB. PS3 games were bigger than Xbox 360 games, certainly the exclusives, as the Blu Ray Disk allowed for much bigger space. PS3 games had better audio as a result.

COKTOE said:
shikamaru317 said:

I looked it up, and it's 2 disks. Apparently the player never needed to swap disks ( good thing, that would totally ruin a game like GTA V. lol ) just install the first disk and play off the second. Actually, that 15.5gb file size range was quite common on the PS3 as far as first and third party exclusives were concerned. The 3 PS3 Yakuza games were all around the 20gb mark for example.

-Just for fun, I looked up the file sizes for FF XIII. 18gb on the 360 and 38gb on the PS3. I'm quite sure that was due in large part to the usage of blu-ray quality cutscenes in the PS3 version.

For seem reason, a ton of games were twice as big on PS3 last gen. Some even had mandatory installs. I think people here said it was because of "redundant data" on the disc or something. 

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
COKTOE said:

For seem reason, a ton of games were twice as big on PS3 last gen. Some even had mandatory installs. I think people here said it was because of "redundant data" on the disc or something. 

It had to do with audio files. PS3 versions of games had better quality audio.

BraLoD said:
Dgc1808 said:
Hopefully there are no pre-rendered cutscenes. That would be a huge waste of space. If this is due to high-quality 7.1 audio files and 4k textures, then it's understandable considering the scope we're expecting for this game.

There won't be pre rendered cutscenes, I think even GTA III was already not using them.

shikamaru317 said:

This shouldn't surprise anyone. GTA V was one of the few late life 360/PS3 games to come on multiple discs, 3 discs as I recall, making it one of, if not the largest, 7th gen games. R* games are huge in scope, RDR2 is said to have an even larger map than GTA V. RDR2 runs at one half 4K resolution on PS4 Pro according to digital foundry, 1920 x 2160, so we're most likely looking at bigger texture installs on Pro. Audio will be a large part of it, as I recall R* doesn't like to compress their audio files. 

GTA V was one disc only on PS3.

I actually don't remember a single game that used more than one blu-ray at all, last gen or this gen.

Maybe there is, but I can't recall.

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen came with 2 discs on some versions for the PS3 but just because they included the actual game without the expansion in a separated disc for some reason (the other had both it and the dlc), then stopped doing it and just packing the single disc both it and the dlc.

Gears of War 4 with the latest print from earlier this year now includes 2 discs with the game but I don't know of any game that at launch had 2 blu-rays , X patch and post launch maps along with other various DLC beefed it up over the years to 116GB storage on the X, Pretty good of them actually to bother throwing in a 2nd disc with the latest print instead of making you download 80GB along with the disc.

Well, damn. But I'm good, I have a few hundred GB left, at least. Still, that's a ridiculous install size, bigger than any game I own. I think the biggest game I have is BF4 with expansions, it takes up around 85-90GB.

9 Terabytes on my Xbox. (9,000 Gigabytes)
24 Terabytes on my PC. (24,000 Gigabytes)

105GB is nothing.

Does mean we should get some high quality audio and texture work with some luck.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--