Forums - Gaming Discussion - RDR2 Requires 105 GB of Storage Space on PS4

Hiku said:
mZuzek said:
As a Nintendo fan, AAA game sizes are actually mind boggling. You would wonder what they even need all that storage for... 4K textures I guess.

Now that you mention it, I wonder if they force everyone to download and install 4K textures, even if you only have a standard PS4 or Xbox One.
I hope not. 

I highly doubt they're discriminating. One solution for all.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
WoodenPints said:
Barozi said:

Doubt it. I bet the full game is on disc.

105GB is not the install size. It's just the amount of space you need to have for it to install since the game is extracting itself on the HDD.

Yeah their is either 2 scenarios that the 105GB means,

1. The game is actually more like 52.5GB since the PS4 requires the game downloaded and extracted before it installs and it needs double what the game actually is which in this case means you need 105GB free space to install RDR2.

2.The game installed is 105GB which would mean you would need 210GB of free storage to install RDR2.

I'm not actually sure if the 2x space requirement is download only or affects discs installations also.

*Game Includes 50GB of game content and 50GB of 4k Ultra Horse testicle textures.

Yeeeessss! I have doubt that this game will actually occupy 105gb of hard drive space once the installation process has finished and updates are downloaded. Although extra storage space is required in excess beyond the final file size, I don't think it's the same x2 free space requirement now on the PS4 as it was on on the PS3. @BraLoD touched on this, and I think he's correct.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 27 September 2018

Chinese food for breakfast

COKTOE said:
WoodenPints said:

Yeah their is either 2 scenarios that the 105GB means,

1. The game is actually more like 52.5GB since the PS4 requires the game downloaded and extracted before it installs and it needs double what the game actually is which in this case means you need 105GB free space to install RDR2.

2.The game installed is 105GB which would mean you would need 210GB of free storage to install RDR2.

I'm not actually sure if the 2x space requirement is download only or affects discs installations also.

*Game Includes 50GB of game content and 50GB of 4k Ultra Horse testicle textures.

Yeeeessss! I have doubt that this game will actually occupy 105gb of hard drive space once the installation process has finished, and updates are downloaded. Although extra storage space is required in excess beyond the final file size, I don't think it's the same x2 free space requirement now on the PS4 as it was on on the PS3. @BraLoD touched on this, and I think he's correct.

I think the main reason is compression, i.e the files are compressed to make them smaller, and thus when its copied it has to be extracted, thus the total data could be 105gb, but could be 50 odd gb (some files compress better than others),

So that sounds right to me as well.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Nintendo seems to be the only ones even bothering with proper compression these days

Nothing to see here, move along

melbye said:
Nintendo seems to be the only ones even bothering with proper compression these days

Lol...What is proper compression?

Dont think you can compare lower resolution Nintendo games with upto 4k high fidelity games.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network

Hopefully there are no pre-rendered cutscenes. That would be a huge waste of space. If this is due to high-quality 7.1 audio files and 4k textures, then it's understandable considering the scope we're expecting for this game.

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Hopefully there are no pre-rendered cutscenes. That would be a huge waste of space. If this is due to high-quality 7.1 audio files and 4k textures, then it's understandable considering the scope we're expecting for this game.

I don't think there will be any pre-rendered cutscenes. As far as I know, there's no evidence of their existence. All of the trailers and other promotional videos were in-game graphics.

This shouldn't surprise anyone. GTA V was one of the few late life 360/PS3 games to come on multiple discs, 3 discs as I recall, making it one of, if not the largest, 7th gen games. R* games are huge in scope, RDR2 is said to have an even larger map than GTA V. RDR2 runs at one half 4K resolution on PS4 Pro according to digital foundry, 1920 x 2160, so we're most likely looking at bigger texture installs on Pro. Audio will be a large part of it, as I recall R* doesn't like to compress their audio files. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 27 September 2018

shikamaru317 said:

This shouldn't surprise anyone. GTA V was one of the few late life 360/PS3 games to come on multiple discs, 3 discs as I recall, making it one of, if not the largest, 7th gen games. R* games are huge in scope, RDR2 is said to have an even larger map than GTA V. RDR2 runs at one half 4K resolution on PS4 Pro according to digital foundry, 1920 x 2160, so we're most likely looking at bigger texture installs on Pro. Audio will be a large part of it, as I recall R* doesn't like to compress their audio files. 

Only the 360 version had multiple disks. 2 of them.

COKTOE said:
shikamaru317 said:

Only the 360 version had multiple disks. 2 of them.

I seem to remember installing 3 discs on my 360, but might have been 2. Regardless, the game was huge on last gen, 15.5 GB, and that was before GTA Online was added. GTA V had one of the biggest installs of any 7th gen game, there were only a handful of 3 disc games like Final Fantasy 13 which were larger, and GTA V ended up passing them all after GTA Online hit. It was so big that it wouldn't fit on a launch model 20 GB Xbox 360 after GTA Online hit.