By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Forza Horizon 4 Review thread - Meta:92 (69 reviews), OpenCritic:92, GameRankings:91

dx11332sega said:
Barkley said:
Got 2 months of gamepass for £2, I'm ready!

Awesome is this deal with credit card or prepaid gift card I like this deal

It was a temporary deal for new subscribers on Microsoft store, pretty sure it ended a couple of weeks ago, I picked it up then for the Forza launch.

Around the Network
Replicant said:
starcraft said:

Do we know that? VGC isn't that accurate for games these days, but it lists recent Forza and GT installments as selling similarly (to wildly different userbase sizes as well).

Wikipedia lists GT6 (2013) as selling less than half what GT5 (2010) did, and GT Sport as selling 3.3m (though at a year old, this could yet sell more). VGC puts FM3 at around that, not including digital. And we were recently told that FM3 has nearly 10 million players (1) - if even half those bought a copy of the game it'd be ahead of the most recent GT release, and in line with the most recent headline GT release. And all that, again, on a much smaller userbase (2).

I agree that this probably wasn't the thread for the comparison, but I do think its interesting that the once undisputed leadership or racing is now very much up for grabs!

I think Forza Horizon is a great series that could leave the traditional simulation racers (e.g. Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport) in the dust due to being more fun (imo) and accessible. But I think you've mixed up a couple of things (see bold).

(1): Please consider using the abbreviation "FH3" for Forza Horizon 3. The game isn't called Forza Motorsport Horizon 3 and it really only makes sense to use "FM3" for Forza Motorsport 3. FH3 has nearly 10 mill total players which include players buying the game, borrowing the game, trying the demo, etc. Additionally, some analysts speculate whether Microsoft counts the game twice if you try the same copy on both XB1 and PC. Gran Turismo Sport has no demo but still has 5 mill total players in under a year (FH3 is 2 years old). So I think it's difficult to compare these corporate "total player numbers" 1 to 1.

(2): Forza Horizon 3 doesn't have a "much smaller userbase". It has a much larger userbase. XB1 has a userbase of 38.7 mill and Windows 10 has a userbase of 700 mill.

The game is great but let's not deliberately make the comparison to other games skewed.

The demo of Forza Horizon 3 doesn't count towards that 10 million.  GT Sports did have a demo but it was only available for a limited time since the demo wasn't a specific demo for the game but the whole game with limited access to all the content but if you downloaded demo and then ended up buying the whole game digitally you where good to go. 

Replicant said:
starcraft said:

Do we know that? VGC isn't that accurate for games these days, but it lists recent Forza and GT installments as selling similarly (to wildly different userbase sizes as well).

Wikipedia lists GT6 (2013) as selling less than half what GT5 (2010) did, and GT Sport as selling 3.3m (though at a year old, this could yet sell more). VGC puts FM3 at around that, not including digital. And we were recently told that FM3 has nearly 10 million players (1) - if even half those bought a copy of the game it'd be ahead of the most recent GT release, and in line with the most recent headline GT release. And all that, again, on a much smaller userbase (2).

I agree that this probably wasn't the thread for the comparison, but I do think its interesting that the once undisputed leadership or racing is now very much up for grabs!

I think Forza Horizon is a great series that could leave the traditional simulation racers (e.g. Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport) in the dust due to being more fun (imo) and accessible. But I think you've mixed up a couple of things (see bold).

(1): Please consider using the abbreviation "FH3" for Forza Horizon 3. The game isn't called Forza Motorsport Horizon 3 and it really only makes sense to use "FM3" for Forza Motorsport 3. FH3 has nearly 10 mill total players which include players buying the game, borrowing the game, trying the demo, etc. Additionally, some analysts speculate whether Microsoft counts the game twice if you try the same copy on both XB1 and PC. Gran Turismo Sport has no demo but still has 5 mill total players in under a year (FH3 is 2 years old). So I think it's difficult to compare these corporate "total player numbers" 1 to 1.

(2): Forza Horizon 3 doesn't have a "much smaller userbase". It has a much larger userbase. XB1 has a userbase of 38.7 mill and Windows 10 has a userbase of 700 mill.

The game is great but let's not deliberately make the comparison to other games skewed.

Thats a pretty unreasonable accusation. I explicitly noted that nowhere near all 10m players were likely to have bought the game - i suggested half as an appropriate metric.

As to your second point, the sales listed on VGC are purely for XB1. Whilst I am sure that MS includes the PC numbers in their total players, I have never seen a single person on these boards assert that PC is likely to be a significant number of FH3's sales - especially given its on the MS store not Steam or Origin.

Telling me I am skewing comparisons and then suggesting there are 700m Win 10 users that might viably have an interest and a machine capable of running a AAA game is pretty rich.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
Replicant said:

Thats a pretty unreasonable accusation. I explicitly noted that nowhere near all 10m players were likely to have bought the game - i suggested half as an appropriate metric.

As to your second point, the sales listed on VGC are purely for XB1. Whilst I am sure that MS includes the PC numbers in their total players, I have never seen a single person on these boards assert that PC is likely to be a significant number of FH3's sales - especially given its on the MS store not Steam or Origin.

Telling me I am skewing comparisons and then suggesting there are 700m Win 10 users that might viably have an interest and a machine capable of running a AAA game is pretty rich.

So we should ignore them completely instead? Ok. In that case, you're right. Forza Horizon 3 has a smaller userbase of potential buyers than Gran Turismo Sport.

I'm done being off topic. I don't know why it was necessary to bring up the sales comparison between Forza Horizon (arcade racing) and Gran Turismo (simulation racing) in the first place. Thread is about the great metascore of Forza Horizon 4. Let's just celebrate that and leave out the petty digs.

I guess it appeals more to all ages I tried fh2 when it was with gwg really good game but it's a bi anualized game now. Xbox needs more

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

hater gonna hate, tribal consumerism, the sad thing is these companies could give 2 shits about them personally, no matter the loyalty.

cant wait to play FH4, just wasnt going to pay $99 to play early, fuck that. but this is one of my most looked forward to titles.

This is a very strong reason to go complete multiplatform, or upgrade my PC to the fullest. It really does suck that this is basically last beacon for racing franchises, I'm still super bitter about PGR and Burnout series death and NFS being the crap microtransaction basket it is.

I would love to play this, yet for now I'll keep drooling over DF's analysis videos
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-the-technology-of-forza-horizon-4-xbox-one-x-lead-platform

My laptop sure can't run it (nor has win 10) and I can't justify CAD 600 plus tax plus game or game pass plus xbl gold for 1 game (or series) I still play GTS daily and way too much (over 4000 sport races completed) yet also have that arcade racing itch. What a terrible decision to close Evolution studios, I would have bought DriveClub 2 and season pass in a heartbeat. Open world is not my favorite, however Forza Horizon was fun on 360 and the sequels look amazing! Kinda jealous of those who get to play it.

I love when Sony fans touts how many players Fortnite has like 80 million I hear recently.

Then those same people will say that the 10 million number for Forza 3 is misleading and not that many people play.

Barkley said:
dx11332sega said:

Awesome is this deal with credit card or prepaid gift card I like this deal

It was a temporary deal for new subscribers on Microsoft store, pretty sure it ended a couple of weeks ago, I picked it up then for the Forza launch.

That particular deal is over. But, they seem to be running a new deal for Game Pass about 50% of the time. I'm sure they will use the positive Buzz around this game to try to drive subscribers to the service, which will probably mean a new deal within the next week or two.