By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Telltale hit with massive layoffs, effectively closing down the company.

I liked the first few Telltale games I played. But, really, nothing ever toughed the first seasons of TWD or WAO. Their games are basically crap at this point, full of the same technical difficulties and running on seemingly the same engine for their entire run.

At this point, I'm glad they're closing. It frees up the developers and other personnel to do better work elsewhere. Most of those people will have no problem finding jobs in the current market.

Around the Network

Walking Dead Season 1 was obviously the peak, but I thoroughly enjoyed Tales from the Borderlands.

Fantastic game.

shikamaru317 said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

Apparently none of their games made a profit with the exceptions of The Walking Dead: Season 1 and Minecraft: Story Mode. I'm kind of shocked Batman: The Enemy Within didn't make a profit, but everything else kind of makes sense... What i'm wondering is how they lasted this long if they only had 2 games that made profit and why they would make sequels to bomba's like post season 1 The Walking Dead, Batman (which was the biggest failure of them all apparently) and The Wolf Among Us?

Edit: Also does this mean that Batman: The Enemy Within won't release on Switch? I was planning on buying it since I feel it's one of the few good games that Telltale had released recently...

I really don't see how that's possible. Their games/seasons were short, cinematic experiences made on a horribly dated engine, it's not like they were making these with the latest AAA graphics. I constantly saw their games on digital bestsellers lists. How did games like Wolf, Borderlands, Game of Thrones, and Batman not turn a profit? 

Well, from what I can gather, it seems as though most of their games would have deep discounts shortly after release which conditioned people to wait until those cuts happened before buying. Wolf, Borderlands and Game of Thrones Telletale games are niche imo (I didn't even know about Game of Thrones) so those make sense to me if they sold poorly. Batman is the real shocker because even if the genre conflicts with the type of demographic that would buy a Telletale Batman game I would've thought it could've still sold at full price no problem. Perhaps it was an expensive license to acquire? Perhaps it was also due to having too many staff on any given project?

How much would Telletale sell their games for anyway? $50 or something?

My source for these games not netting any profits come from this guy if you're are wondering:

Edit: I meant to link to his Twitter but I guess that works too...?

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 22 September 2018

Two sudio closures in one week.....ugh.

Even though I was never a fan of Telltale's games, 225 people going out of jobs is sad to see. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I purchased several of the games. But, in all cases except Walking Dead 1. I got episode 1 for free, then purchased the remaining episodes on sale. So I'm guessing my average price was about $15 per full game. Walking Dead Season 1 I rented for a few nights from Redbox, for total cost of less than $10.

I look for good deals when buying games, but I didn't put very much effort into source of great prices for these. So, I'm betting a whole lot of other people bought them at low prices as well.

Also, I believe the full price for most of the games was $25 per season. Maybe $30 for some of that had 6 episodes.

Around the Network

I blame the episodic model. I waited with TWD until it was complete and on sale, since I was waiting anyway. Then I did the same thing with TWD2 and forgot about it by the time it was finished. Every time I saw a review of a new game of them it's episode 1, by the time it was done, my interest was gone as well :/

Sad news. This seems to be a case of really bad management. I enjoyed the episodic nature of their games, but they had too many games released at the same time, the development effort must have been huge,and they were kind of competing against themselves.

Ah true, so at best they can hope to be bought on the basis that it saves a publisher putting together a team/studio when they can just use them. But normally that kind of sell off is rare. Like with the case of Crytek selling many of it's studios to SEGA and THQ.

Only in america. Is there a union for the video game industry??

250 developers making Point & click games lol
What moron thought there'd be economy big enough to support such a huge studio making a niche genre.