By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Telltale hit with massive layoffs, effectively closing down the company.

Playing episode 2 on Tuesday is not going to be fun

Around the Network

Think someone will buy them?

JRPGfan said:

Think someone will buy them?

Dead game studios are only bought out when someone else wants to get their hands on its IPs and/or employees. Telltale's entire business model was producing adventure games based on the other IPs of other people. There is literally no reason for anyone to shell out a single dime for what's left of the company, since the employees will soon be let go no matter what.

Hiku said:

@think-man You can add this to the OP if you want:

Looks like the employees worked overtime and on weekends to try to ship the remaining projects in time, but weren't paid for those hours by the company.

Sad to hear that there won't be a Season 2 for The Wolf Among Us. I thought that story was pretty interesting.
As for The Walking Dead, we can just imagine what happens to Clementine in the final season.

She gets bitten, and asks her child to shoot her before she turns, like she had to do with her father figure before.

The End

Ouch, yeah, that sucks. I'll add it. 

The first Walking dead was an all time great game. Everything they released thereafter was significantly worse, and progressively getting even worse. They should have retained the writer of the first game and spent a lot more time on the sequels instead of jumping from franchise to franchise releasing mediocre storylines.

Around the Network

I assume that soon the sharks (publishers) will come to pick away at the corpse (Telltale IPs).

Soren0079 said:
I assume that soon the sharks (publishers) will come to pick away at the corpse (Telltale IPs).

They don't actually own any IPs, that's the problem. Odds are most owners of the licensed properties they've been developing games for will have put clauses in the contract saying that if Telltale went defunct, the rights immediately reverted to them.

i really enjoyed the guardians of the galaxy recently, damn good. sucks ass to read this.

Apparently none of their games made a profit with the exceptions of The Walking Dead: Season 1 and Minecraft: Story Mode. I'm kind of shocked Batman: The Enemy Within didn't make a profit, but everything else kind of makes sense... What i'm wondering is how they lasted this long if they only had 2 games that made profit and why they would make sequels to bomba's like post season 1 The Walking Dead, Batman (which was the biggest failure of them all apparently) and The Wolf Among Us?

Edit: Also does this mean that Batman: The Enemy Within won't release on Switch? I was planning on buying it since I feel it's one of the few good games that Telltale had released recently...

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 22 September 2018

i see theories that they ovesaturated the market, maybe...I would also add that the adventure genre as a whole is super-saturated by indies now, there's got to be 20 games in the genre on Switch alone.  It's also got to be one of te easiest gnres for indies to break into, no physics or AI to worry about, you win or lose on art and maybe puzzle design