By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita production to end in 2019 in Japan

Farsala said:
omarct said:

Interesting, although I have yet to see anyone lugging one around. I guess maybe I need to go out more often.

It is statistics for the 3 main regions including Japan. The vast majority of Japan users will use it in handheld mode.

Seems like a lot of the replies are saying they use it handheld but mainly inside their houses(toilet maybe lol?). This should be even easier for sony to accomplish as an optional accessory. I am pretty sure the vita could already stream your games from the PS4 via remote play. I think it just wasnt marketed that well plus it was expensive. They should make a cheaper version 99$ as an optional accesory to play your ps4 game in your toilet or wherever.

Around the Network
omarct said:
animegaming said:

According to statistics released by Nintendo more people use the Switch exclusively as a handheld then have it exclusively docked.

Interesting, although I have yet to see anyone lugging one around. I guess maybe I need to go out more often.

Well, this statistic doesn't negate your statement. The fact it is being played in handheld mode doesn't mean it is being played outside the house. I too haven't seen a person with a NS outside. 

outlawauron said:
animegaming said:

They be fools to not at least consider this, like some series such as Omega Labyrinth have moved to the Switch and some that moved to PS4 only like God Eater have yet to show up on the COMG chart. Plus some games like Ys Viii supposedly had a better opening on Switch then Vita despite being a late port

Uh, what?! Ys on Switch sold less than 1/5th of the Vita's first week.

A insider on ResetERA that used work for NIS America has said that worldwide sales of Ys Viii have been similar to the PS4 and Vita versions.  

RolStoppable said:
outlawauron said:

Uh, what?! Ys on Switch sold less than 1/5th of the Vita's first week.

He's probably refering to an insider's comment that Ys VIII's worldwide sales are in the same ballpark as the Vita version's worldwide sales.

A similar case is Disgaea 5 where the Switch version sold notably lower than the PS4 version in Japan, but sold similar numbers on a global basis. Disgaea 5's sales are confirmed by the publisher itself.

Yeah Rol, I was referring to AniHwak's comments on ResetERA, should of mentioned that in my original post. 

sad to hear, that there will be no new system after, but maybe the try something in a other direction

the 3DS came before the Vita, and the 3DS will outlive the Vita.

not trying to make a statement or anything, just thought it was worth pointing out

Around the Network

If the Vita can last until 2019, then surely the 3DS has a few more years left in it.

KBG29 said:
EricHiggin said:
'BC and old retro games are stupid'. Shortly thereafter the PS1 classic is announced.

'We have no plans for a future handheld after Vita'... I wouldn't take that too seriously, no reason(s) in particular.

One of many examples. Sony will tell you they have no plans for a Price cut, Service, Game, etc. one day,  and then turn around and announce it exactly what they denied the day before less than 24 hours later. On the flip side, they will tell you they are working on something for a decade, but for some reason, they just can't ever get around to it. 

Another reason why I think they may try it. If they were clearly on board and talking handheld/hybrids, then who knows when it may launch, but the fact that they have been pretty quiet about it, makes me think there's likely potential for it to happen, soon enough. The last thing they would want is Nin knowing a direct competitor is coming so they can mount up and plan a future defense, which would allow Nin to simply expand their handheld/hybrid wall to an impenetrable degree that would make China blush.

Dante9 said:
EricHiggin said:

That was part of my point. PS got into handhelds, motion controls, etc, because Nin proved it could be done and in a way that made lot's of money. The odds that PS doesn't try a hybrid like the Switch are unlikely. The main reason I could see PS truly leaving that market sector entirely, is if they focus solely on PSVR from now on instead, which they just might do since they have that market to themselves and probably will continue to in the foreseeable future. Mind you, a PS hybrid should fix the Switch mobility cross play issue if they felt they needed to directly address that.

Crap, I really don't think going hybrid would be a good idea for Sony. Or at least they have to offer a full fledged home console PS5 as well. The current Sony model is clearly working, so it'd be a mistake to make a sudden 180 just to try and copy what Nintendo is doing. I think Ninty has the portable market so well covered that it's no use trying to push into it. The Vita is a testament to that, I hope they at least broke even with that thing..

My thinking is if they do continue handheld or jump into hybrids, then it'll have to tie into the console ecosystem and not be it's own separate thing. PS is not going to drop home console. If third party games that play on PS4 can be ported to Switch, then PS could literally copy Switch right down the same hardware, and port PS4/PS5 first party games. Odds are they would try if possible to use a more like architecture to make porting as easy as possible, but the handheld/hybrid needs to be the right size, efficient, and be cheap enough, whatever hardware that entails.

I don't think PS is definitely going to try this either. They learned from PS3, and may use a similar lesson from Vita to drop anything resembling handheld altogether. Considering PS is invested in VR now, and has that market to itself, it does also make sense for them to focus on one or the other. Either create a hybrid and drop VR, or focus on VR and drop handheld.

PS could technically in the future merge VR and mobile though. Much like using a phone/phablet as a screen and driver for VR today, PS could do that in the future, and allow you to use VR with just a PS mobile device with limited capability, or use the VR with the home console for maximum capability. That way VR could be seen as it's own thing and wouldn't require the extra $400 ish for a console on top. It would probably increase the cost of the VR kit itself, but still end up being cheaper than a bare bones VR kit + a required home console.

Well it released in 2011 in Japan so that would make a 8 year life cycle which seems quite long for a handheld.

Definitely one of the best handhelds ever made!

The_Liquid_Laser said:
If the Vita can last until 2019, then surely the 3DS has a few more years left in it.

Ya, plus this is Vita's last market to pull production, The other markets already did. 3DS has decent two years ahead. 

omarct said:
Maybe PS5 will have a vita like optional accessory that can play the games you own on the console while outside. They would be fools not to do it. Although I personally believe that handheld gaming is no longer a thing with everyone owning a cellphone.

Nintendo users sing the switch to heaven with praises for the mobile aspect, but at the end of the day how many actually use it outside of their homes? I would bet not even 10%.

Inside the house, yes, I guess. Like many play on iPad and such.

Outside the house is more common among youngsters and students.

If I had a NSW, I wouldn't take it outside, just because I don't have enough time to play games outside.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?