By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is Currently The Best Selling Blu-ray Of 2018 (USA)

Cool? What does this really prove? People buy poorly made entertainment all the time. Hell, look at all the pop, country, and rap music that constantly lights up the charts.

And apparently by many here Nintendo selling a crap ton of units in the Wii days "didn't count" because "casuals" or something.. But sales only matter when it confirms their biases I guess.

The series can go on to sell a gazillion copies for all I care. All I know is I found zero enjoyment in TLJ and that Star Wars simply no longer appeals to me, and lord knows I tried. Really I did. I WANTED to like this movie but I simply don't see it (other than the solid special effects/cinematography). Virtually everything else about it ranged from bland and boring to nearly unwatchable for me.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:
Cool? What does this really prove? People buy poorly made entertainment all the time. Hell, look at all the pop, country, and rap music that constantly lights up the charts.

And apparently by many here Nintendo selling a crap ton of units in the Wii days "didn't count" because "casuals" or something.. But sales only matter when it confirms their biases I guess.

The series can go on to sell a gazillion copies for all I care. All I know is I found zero enjoyment in TLJ and that Star Wars simply no longer appeals to me, and lord knows I tried. Really I did. I WANTED to like this movie but I simply don't see it (other than the solid special effects/cinematography). Virtually everything else about it ranged from bland and boring to nearly unwatchable for me.

No-one's claiming The Last Jedi is the greatest movie ever - heck, I enjoyed it, but I'd still only place it roughly in the middle of the pack of all the Star Wars movies released to date - just disputing the idea that it was a massive failure because it grossed very slightly less than some people were predicting it would. The only way that a movie that's made more money than Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, and any MCU entry outside of Black Panther and the three Avengers movies can be considered a "failure" is if Disney are idiots who don't know what reasonable expectations are (which, hey, might very well be true, but I've not seen any solid evidence to confirm it is).

Neither am I claiming that all is right in the Star Wars universe - I just find it odd that people are holding The Last Jedi up as the poster boy for failure when Solo actually was an undeniable failure, and even then it made an amount at the box-office most Hollywood films can only dream of.

thismeintiel said:

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Star Wars: Episode IV grossed $461 million (unadjusted) domestic
The Empire Strikes back grossed $290 million (unadjusted) domestic

That is a massive 37% drop!  The Empire Strikes back was such a disappointing movie!  Fans are outraged at this total pile of shit!  I thought I was watching a cool outer space battle and they totally threw in some family soap opera shit in there!  Just watch, The Empire Strikes back will go down in history as the worst Star Wars ever!  Mark my words!

(btw, I hope you can all tell this was a tongue-in-cheek post.)

Oh man, you got us.  Oh, wait, no you didn't.  When ESB came out the industry was going through a major shift.  ANH was from the cinema world of old.  Where films started slow (ANH only made $8.5M, adjusted, its opening weekend, which would be a flop today), but stayed in theaters for a long ass time (ANH was in theaters for 1 1/2 years its initial run), and then see umpteen rereleases.  In the late 70s/early 80s, this model was dying out and changing to what we have, now.  A model where movies open much larger and only stay in theaters for a few months, making way for further blockbusters.  ESB was released right in the middle of this, so while it benefited from a larger opening than ANH, though still not great by today's standards ($25M, adjusted), it didn't receive an extra 6+ months to pad out its final take.  By the time ROTJ released, the industry was pretty much done with the shift, seeing that it opened with $99.1M (adjusted), a number any lower/mid budgeted blockbuster would still be grateful to hit.

Of course, even with the industry shift, and the fact that the foreign market was much smaller, ESB still made $1.5B+ WW, adjusted.  With no industry shift, and a massively expanded market, what's TLJ's excuse?

This is nonsense.  A bigger opening does not cause a smaller total.

The reason why Episode IV did so well is because no one had ever seen anything like it before.  People went over and over again, because it was a unique experience.  That is why it played for so long.  It's true that movie showings, and all of Hollywood, was going through a shift.  Do you know what movie caused that shift?  Star Wars.  When you adjust for inflation no movie since has done as well domestically.  It was a game changer. 

Empire is truly a great film, but by the time it came out, some of the novelty factor had worn off.  In fact when fans today look at the whole trilogy many see that Empire is the best film.  A New Hope had a bigger take simply because it was first.

A similar thing happened with The Force Awakens.  People had waited over 30 years to see Han, Leia, and Chewy in a film again.  People went to see it over and over, because it all seemed new again.  By the time The Last Jedi came out, some of the novelty had worn off.  It is like A New Hope and Empire all over again.

I'ma just going to wait for infinity war...

Surprised that it has such a decisive lead over Black Panther, considering BP has it beat by 80 million Domestically.

TLJ is punching above its weight in West Korean blu-ray sales, and to wear the crown of this year’s best selling?  Well, that’s just the latest nail in the coffin for any argument that it was a commercial failure.

Around the Network

You know, I bought an 18 x 24 frame yesterday that i was going to use to put my Wind Waker puzzle... But I think I’ll use it for this post instead. I’ll just enlarge the font so it fits and I’ll hang it above my living room TV so whenever my brothers come over to watch Star Wars, that’s the first thing they’ll see before the movie starts!

Don't know if this has been posted before.

A more recent critique on TLJ:

https://youtu.be/f83D18xL7VE

If you ignore the jabs he makes and just listen to his review, he does point out some pretty solid points about TLJ. IMO anyway.

Well, I find it funny at least. :p

So.

How many of you haters are Russian trolls?

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/04/after-russian-trolls-tarnished-the-last-jedi-is-it-safe-to-like-star-wars-again

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
So.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/oct/04/after-russian-trolls-tarnished-the-last-jedi-is-it-safe-to-like-star-wars-again

We're all Russian trolls. :P

Mr.GameCrazy said:
starcraft said:
So.

We're all Russian trolls. :P

Lol

You laugh, but it begs the question doesn't it! With so many people simply ignoring the facts in their quest to promote irrational hatred of the film!

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS