By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do male gamers whine about female characters in gaming? especially about Battlefield V?

Seriously if you watch Battlefield V's videos on Youtube in nearly all comment sections you will see people whine and complain about "SJWs". How fragile is your masculinity if you feel offended or threatened that a private company is going to allow gamers to play as females.  There is an argument made that there were no female combatants in WW2, this is absolutely false as there were thousands of them especially in the Soviet Red Army. And even if that were true,  games are supposed to be a form of entertainment they are not meant to be historically accurate. Most people do not play games for a history lesson.

I feel like the ones that are calling SJW's intollereant are actually intollerant themselves and they need to really chill out. 

What are your thoughts?

I trust no one, not even myself.

Around the Network

It's a very small section of people. Stop giving them a platform.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I couldnt care less what sex the main characters are aslong as there implemented the right way. Perfect Dark has been one of my favorite games ever made and Joanna Dark is awesome. Wouldnt have wanted it any other way.

Don't care about females in video games as long as they don't replace the entire crew with females and do slapstick jokes as the main part of comedy for the movie, YES I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

You do realise most countries except for Russia did not allow women in the front or many countries not even into combat positions. Usually women played support roles in Ww2 they handled AA Guns, planned out strategies and spotlights and many women enlisted where nurses. Also the red Army had 10.000's of female combatants, mostly in 1941 since they practically enlist any capabele make but still. There where millions of male combatants and in Total the Russian Army move almost 30 million units. So the percentage of women on the front was rather small. It was much bigger in resistances especially the France resistance. The problem I have with BF5 except that I am not a particular fan of shooters to begin with is EA is attitude about it. There is a valid point in saying I want a game based on WW2 to be as accurate as possible and chances of fighting women on the front where rather very small. Though in BF1 you could repair a horse with a wrench and had prototype fully automatic weapons so BF never gave a fuck about historie/realism to begin with.

But to claim women played an integral part on the front like EA suggested and calling everyone who doubted or disagreed about that ignorant and uneducated isn't the way to go. Women made sure there was a country left to fight for and basically made sure the fabrics kept working and that food, ammo and cetera could be send to the front. Also without women the amount of causalities could be easily twice as high since many nurses where enlisted. But on the front its a comparison between hundredthousands women at best against tens of millions men. So statistically complainting gamers had a point.

If EA just said we want our players to play with a character they can most relate with whether that gives an accurate depiction or not totally fine. But if you are going to call your fanbase uneducated and litteraly say to them accept it or don't buy it, don't act all victim like if people don't buy your lootboxed filled crappy games. For all I care you could only play with females in the SP mode where the war tale of a Russian female only squad. I would even argue that would be the most interesting SP shooter campaign since Killzone 2.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

In the case of BFV, I think it is more EA's response and how they disrespect their consumers on the matter than the female character itself. Even now, everytime they say something about the subject, it comes off as trollish.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

FattyDingDong said:

Seriously if you watch Battlefield V's videos on Youtube in nearly all comment sections you will see people whine and complain about "SJWs". How fragile is your masculinity if you feel offended or threatened that a private company is going to allow gamers to play as females.  There is an argument made that there were no female combatants in WW2, this is absolutely false as there were thousands of them especially in the Soviet Red Army. And even if that were true,  games are supposed to be a form of entertainment they are not meant to be historically accurate. Most people do not play games for a history lesson.

I feel like the ones that are calling SJW's intollereant are actually intollerant themselves and they need to really chill out. 

What are your thoughts?

If this was the issue, then Metroid nor Tomb Raider wouldn't be huge successes.

Last edited by AJNShelton - on 23 August 2018

That's not true for the most part and so typical of the left to color an opposing view that way. 🙀 Saying that male gamers are complaining about women in video games is a vast mischaracterization of the complaints. It's so the complaints don't have to be challenged on their own merit. It's a pathetic tactic to use. It's not about women in video games in any sense.

The battlefield games were the more realistic of the shooters and didn't have anything whacky in it. The complaints are about unrealistic things (like a british soldier with a katana on his back or a woman with missing limb replaced by a cybernetic limb being in battles) being added into the game for whatever reasons including the sjw ones.. The backlash is also about the response from the game devs to the complaints. It was idiotic to attack the fans and dismiss their complaints as sexism. People in general don't like to called uneducated or inferred to as sexists.

I have been playing The Last of Us multiplayer and I don't like that my character sometimes is a female, they don't belong there, it's a man's game, they were not in the story mode, why bring them in multiplayer, na mean?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

From what I can see, people are complaining about the person with a prosthetic arm fighting on the front and that British soldier with a katana (not to mention the awful responses from EA). And then there are also stupid people complaining that you can play as a woman, but that doesn't seem to be the majority.

Peh said:

Don't care about females in video games as long as they don't replace the entire crew with females and do slapstick jokes as the main part of comedy for the movie, YES I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!

I mean, the original Ghostbusters were all-male, so I don't really see much difference. Yeah, the movie is terrible, but it has nothing to do with them being women.

B O I