By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do male gamers whine about female characters in gaming? especially about Battlefield V?

This is not about women, it's about forcing SJW ideology down our throats when we are simply trying to enjoy our games and movies and whatnot.
I don't even play Battlefield myself, but I understand that modern looking women with prosthetic robot arms are sorely out of place in that setting. Their only function is to push an agenda that gamers don't want to have to deal with inside their form of entertainment. Keep your political bullshit out of our fun. Women in more appropriate settings and even their own franchises have never been a problem, because they have been written as good characters instead of ideological puppets that shove their noses where they are not needed or wanted. Make your own damn games with your own characters and ideals instead of pissing into our cereal. But you can't, can you? That would require creativity and hard work, and SJWs are not ready to do that, because it's much easier to infect the work of others with their virus.
It amazes me how blind these big companies are to this crap. A tiny fringe group is screeching and forcing their politics into the business and they don't even buy or play these games. Sure, some of them maybe do, but it's irrelevant when compared to the actual customer base who has been funding the industry since forever, making it what it is today. Yet these companies are idiotic enough to side with the SJWs and turn on us, calling us names or telling us not to buy the game if we don't like it. Yes, because alienating your core customers to pander to a small outside group sounds like the best business decision ever.
How's that working for Star Wars? How's that working for Battlefield now? Who's next?

Around the Network
vivster said:
It's a very small section of people. Stop giving them a platform.

But they're also a very loud section.

Dante9 said:
This is not about women, it's about forcing SJW ideology down our throats when we are simply trying to enjoy our games and movies and whatnot.
I don't even play Battlefield myself, but I understand that modern looking women with prosthetic robot arms are sorely out of place in that setting. Their only function is to push an agenda that gamers don't want to have to deal with inside their form of entertainment. Keep your political bullshit out of our fun. Women in more appropriate settings and even their own franchises have never been a problem, because they have been written as good characters instead of ideological puppets that shove their noses where they are not needed or wanted. Make your own damn games with your own characters and ideals instead of pissing into our cereal. But you can't, can you? That would require creativity and hard work, and SJWs are not ready to do that, because it's much easier to infect the work of others with their virus.
It amazes me how blind these big companies are to this crap. A tiny fringe group is screeching and forcing their politics into the business and they don't even buy or play these games. Sure, some of them maybe do, but it's irrelevant when compared to the actual customer base who has been funding the industry since forever, making it what it is today. Yet these companies are idiotic enough to side with the SJWs and turn on us, calling us names or telling us not to buy the game if we don't like it. Yes, because alienating your core customers to pander to a small outside group sounds like the best business decision ever.
How's that working for Star Wars? How's that working for Battlefield now? Who's next?

So you're saying Star Wars fans and gamers are a bunch of whiny misogynists?

Toxic masculinity.

jason1637 said:
Toxic masculinity.

VERY toxic, and that's just scratching the surface.

Shiken said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Glad you posted here, since you're an example of a gamer that whines about male characters. It goes both ways you see

Personally I don't care too much whether characters are male or female, although I do prefer non-human characters, so I'm still liable to complain every time there's humans...

BTW, you may as well get ready to claim the win for our bet.  I made it before this whole controversy started with BFV and despite the fact that BO4 is not doing so hot either, I do not see myself winning this one...nor do I really want to anymore lol.

heh, I made a similar bet for COD vs Destiny. If it's an option then you should always bet on COD!

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:
It's a very small section of people. Stop giving them a platform.

No, they're not. They're just massively amplified by people who wine about them.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
CaptainExplosion said:

No, they're not. They're just massively amplified by people who wine about them.

Because we're struggling for a way to shut them up.

CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:

Because we're struggling for a way to shut them up.

Authoritarian at heart. 😹

Let's just turn that argument on its head a bit.

"How fragile is your femininity if you feel less inclined or unwilling to play a game that doesn't allow you to play as a female character."

How does that simmer in your mind? Not well? Then maybe you shouldn't try to talk about how fragile men might be if they don't like something.

Now, let's talking about Battlefield V. I have no dog in this fight. I rarely, if ever play shooters. the last one I played even semi-regularly was Destiny and I was done by the time the first expansion pass came out, and don't feel inclined to go back to it or to ever pick up the second. I have zero inclination to buy any Call of Duty, Battlefield or any other FPS this year. But from what I gather, The biggest argument against the initial trailer is that there's only so much you can suspend your disbelief before your brain shuts off and your "serious WWII shooter" starts looking really fucking ridiculous. Apparently women on the front lines of World War II with cyborg arms that feature technology we don't even have today crosses that "really fucking ridiculous threshold", since neither were really a thing that occurred. People said as much.

Now, before you start listing the handful of examples of Women actually fighting on the front lines during World War II, which did happen, just remember: Of the 292,000+ American Armed Forces killed during World War II, just 16 of them were women. Women represented a small fraction of 1% of the people who actually fought during the war.

How did EA reply? Well, to paraphase: "If you talk negatively about the stories in our game, it's because you're a misogynist, and you hate women. If you don't like the story we're telling, if you don't like the characters, don't buy it". So what did gamers do? They didn't buy it. Preorders are abysmal.

Now we have posts such as the OPs attacking people for not liking being told they're misogynists for letting EA know that it's gotten a bit out of hand. Go figure.

My thoughts? I'm a male gamer and I haven't whined about female characters in video-games. Your title is rated as false.

Seriously, why even make a new thread to whine about other people whining in the first place? Just go to where the original whining is taking place so you can counter-whine there without spreading it to new locations like some kind of virus.

As far as Battlefield goes, I don't really care, but I can see people being cynical because EA themselves are trying to make it into some kind of big deal, like it's empowering for women to be fictionally inserted into historical warfare. It does make me chuckle a bit. They're patting themselves on the back for a marketing gimmick.