By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo try it's hand at "mature casual games"?

Continually looking backwards to the Wii/DS isn't the answer for Nintendo. Switch is a very different time and in a very different market. Make more games that skew towards an older audience? Sure, you have an older fan base now it just makes sense to provide some what edgier content. But it doesn't have to be "mature casual".

What they should be looking at is Fortnite and putting their own take on a genre like that. That will move systems. Club House Games or something ... not really.

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said: 
Miyamoto doesn't run Nintendo's in-house development anymore, Shinya Takahashi does. Takahashi came from SPD, which specialized in working with developers like Cing with these kinds of games. SPD and EAD merged in 2015 to form Nintendo EPD, so we could see more games like that come from Nintendo's in-house teams.

Takahashi tends to be more of a risk taker than Miyamoto, willing to green-light titles that have no mass market appeal, but do help diversify the library, whereas Miyamoto was always about appealing to the widest audience. 

Takahashi's a cool guy, and I hope you're on to something here. 

Splatoon 2 did go rather dark and story heavy with the Octo Expansion.

Personally, I'm not getting my hopes up for more Nintendo published adventure games, and the Switch does already have quite a portfolio in the genre anyway.
However, if I'm forced to be an optimist, re-releases of the Cing games might be brought out if they can get them out of legal limbo, and any interest they garner will sow seeds for the future. And Nintendo did just refresh their Japanese trademarks for both 
Another Code and Endless Ocean, the first of which is Cing's Trace Memory outside of the Americas, and the latter of which certainly fits the adult casual bill as well. 

Soundwave said:

Continually looking backwards to the Wii/DS isn't the answer for Nintendo. Switch is a very different time and in a very different market. Make more games that skew towards an older audience? Sure, you have an older fan base now it just makes sense to provide some what edgier content. But it doesn't have to be "mature casual".

What they should be looking at is Fortnite and putting their own take on a genre like that. That will move systems. Club House Games or something ... not really.

Who says you can't do both. I don't want Nintendo to just be a mindless trend follower, I'd rather them create unique and wacky shit above all else. Besides, even if some of them aren't Mario Odyssey mega hits, they still help diversify the library and can still be successful on their own. 

Podings said: 

Takahashi's a cool guy, and I hope you're on to something here. 

Splatoon 2 did go rather dark and story heavy with the Octo Expansion.

Yeah, Octo Expansion was fucked up. I don't think you'd see anything like that happen under Miyamoto during the Wii U days. 

Mnementh said:
TomaTito said:

You mean the Touch! Generations games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Touch!_Generations_titles
Art Academy, Brain Age, Clubhouse Games, Crosswords, Endless Ocean, Wii series...

I would love for a card game like Clubhouse to return and Endless Ocean too.

Endless Ocean in HD could be awesome.

There was this:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/nintendo_applies_for_endless_ocean_trademark_in_japan_could_this_wii_title_resurface_from_the_deep

Maybe a remaster or hopefully a sequel.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

I'm sceptical about Nintendo should follow successful concepts of others. Best way as I see it, is to develop unique stuff in-house and invite devs like Epic with Fortnite to the platform. That way the library diversifies. If they do in-house the same, we get a lot of games that are very similar.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Podings said:
robzo100 said:

Could we say that 1-2 Switch was an update on the adult casual genre?

I guess we could, but I don't think it ever really jived with grown-ups the way Wii Sports did. Nor does it really deal in adult/mature themes like what OP is describing.

And even Wii Sports had a surprising amount of depth hidden under the hood. More so that 1-2-Switch as least, which is still a really fun game, mind.

Wii Sports had an amaaaazing amount of depth under the hood, culminating with the platinum medals. Lot of modes to boot.

Haven't got my hands on 1-2-Switch, but it felt more "adult" from the outside than Wii Sports. And by "outside" I'm referring to who it was marketed towards.

Nintendo could make Ace Attorney a "mature casual franchise".

Hmm this thread reminded me how I loved hotel dusk, another code, and endless ocean. I would love a sequel to all on switch or even hd remasters

John2290 said:
They already have or at least have gotten in bed with some third parties to bring some good stuff to the Wii. I thought they were growing with their audience as the wii came out and Twilight princess was a more mature Zelda and then... Skyward sword, not that it was a shit show solely because of its kiddy vibe. Nintendo but themselves in an awkward position with their content where a large part of their audience falls off after a certain age and are forever in a cycle to get the young ones in off the backs of those who stick around yet the neglect the core audience (been a bot better with the switch but are lapsing again) in favour of having the grannies and everyone else in the family too. They can never grow across platforms this wag and its why they fall into these successes then failures, rinse and repeat,constantly chasing those exercising granny dollars. Of course that's a bit simplified but its a good reason for them to throw some money at their core audience who'll buy anything Nintendo because they seem to have dropped to about 10 million or so. But alas,they can't try to uphold this facade of being gamings Disney if they make mature games. I say do it and it'll be a positive for everyone involved core gamers, angsty teens looking for gaming on the go, folk who fell off of Nintendo for the sexs drugs and rock and roll of Sony or the teen Yankee gamers who only believe one should game on Xbox because there is no Weebs or childern. But some suit at Nintendo will disagree while tugging one out to a granny on a wii balance board.

That's a lot of oversimplification. When I talk about Mature casual games, I mean mature titles not aimed at the core gamer, and is simpler and easier to enjoy for less veteran gamers. Hardcore Nintendo fans aren't a big enough audience to build an entire console around, as the Wii U will tell you. Thus, it's important for Nintendo to diversify their investments to make a wide variety of games spanning as many genres and types as possible. The Switch should be a console that has something for anybody to enjoy, not just one type of thing for one type of audience.