By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft rumoured to purchase Obsidian Entertainment

Oh no, no no no no.

Yes, I can see why MS wants this. Obsidian accumulated a lot of former Black Isle staff (like Beamdog and InXile) and they formed a working studio with that. So from the view of MS it really is a purchase that would do very well.

From my view it is bad, as the Obsidian games would move to platforms I don't own. That would be incredibly bad, as Obsidian is not just one dev for me, it is one of my most liked.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Carl said:
I'd like to play a Pillars of Eternity game with no real budget constraints.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. Sure, on paper it sounds good, make the same but with bigger budget. But bigger budget mostly consists of more people. Obsidian has currently a well working team. If they grow slow and organically, new staff can be assimilated and integrated. If they get just a big budget, get said to go cracking and have to hire in a rush a lot of new personal, well that usually does not go so well. Such move can destroy a team. I would prefer the slow grow plan.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

pokoko said:

For one, it's taking a popular IP away from fans who supported it.  How can that not be a negative?  Second, I don't trust Microsoft whatsoever.  Lionhead got axed after being forced to make a GaaS title when they had no experience in that field.  Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Obsidian used poorly.  Spencer hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with his first-party decision making.

When a studio that's closely tied to a company gets absorbed, that's fine, but watching multiplatform studios get swallowed up does not sit well with me.

Also, I'm not buying anything from the Microsoft Store.  Are all Microsoft games on Steam?

Okay.. you obviously have a thing against MS, that's fine, however I don't understand how its taking a popular IP away from gamers? They are mainly a PC dev who at one stage made KOTOR with the help of MS. Obsidian will still make there games for PC no doubt since MS are a major PC brand. 

Lion Head went down hill when Fable 3 arrived, Lion Head just weren't a talented studio anymore. Its not a loss, the IPs still exist and the IPs can still be amazing under another company filled with talent.

Majority of MS games are not on Steam, namely the AA games from Remedy and 3rd party outlets are on Steam with a few exceptions like KI, but there big 1st party games are Win10/Xbox exclusive. Normally the pattern goes like this, if a game doesn't sell or have big sales expectancies on Win10/Xbox they normally get ported to Steam, or games that require a online community. Its MS's strategy in keeping some IPs alive or reviving and keeping alive old communities.

Obsidian are a talented company and some times companies need a good budget to really shine and blow the doors in this industry. MS will surely give them what they need to make a good game. They wont be wasting there investment in a brand for nothing, that's not how they work.

Mnementh said:
Carl said:
I'd like to play a Pillars of Eternity game with no real budget constraints.

Hmm, not sure how I feel about that. Sure, on paper it sounds good, make the same but with bigger budget. But bigger budget mostly consists of more people. Obsidian has currently a well working team. If they grow slow and organically, new staff can be assimilated and integrated. If they get just a big budget, get said to go cracking and have to hire in a rush a lot of new personal, well that usually does not go so well. Such move can destroy a team. I would prefer the slow grow plan.

I'd just like for them to make a game without having to rely on crowdfunding.

Carl said:
Mnementh said:

I'd just like for them to make a game without having to rely on crowdfunding.

Yeah well, if budget grow is done considerable and slowly, the result can be great, I agree.

Around the Network
HoloDust said:

On the other hand, I don't trust MS for a second not to meddle and royally fuck it up and eventually turn them into another studio that makes diluted mass market crap.

This I have 0 trust in them, to not meddle until they f*** up the game project.

Carl said:
As long as they have creative freedom, sure.

Creative freedom is just a PR buzzword for Xbox, reality doesnt seem to line up with their words.

Look at rare.... all the creative freedom in the world... and they choose to make a cheap games as a service, mmo like game?
I doubt buy that for a secound, MS told them they had to do such and such, and the result is sea of theives.

Same with Fable.... they wanted to do a normal fable game, but MS got them makeing a games as a service moba,....
and resulted in MS closeing down the studio.

MS doesnt seem to trust studios with creative freedom.

Can this happen after they make another fallout

JRPGfan said:

Creative freedom is just a PR buzzword for Xbox, reality doesnt seem to line up with their words.

Look at rare.... all the creative freedom in the world... and they choose to make a cheap games as a service, mmo like game?
I doubt buy that for a secound, MS told them they had to do such and such, and the result is sea of theives.

Same with Fable.... they wanted to do a normal fable game, but MS got them makeing a games as a service moba,....

Do you have links or any form of evidence to back up your claims? Because it sounds like a lot of Buzzwords coming from you otherwise.

JRPGfan said: 
Carl said:
As long as they have creative freedom, sure.

Can you provide any sources for that, regarding Sea of Thieves?

JRPGfan said:
That does not sound like it would go well...... Obsidian make very differnt games than what MS seeming is aiming for lately.

This would be like MS getting Rare, and setting them to make those silly connect games.
Its not a good match.

That to me sounds exactly like what MS should do right now, aim at dev teams that do stuff MS isn't known for, so that they are there when next gen launches and they can cater to a totally different audience