ITT: "This is bad because I personally don't like Microsoft because reasons".
Seriously? People always complain because Microsoft doesn't have many studios, so why are people complaining when they acquire one? Especially a studio with experience in something MS doesn't do often (probably a response to "Xbox has no diversity!"). I can understand not wanting to build a studio from scratch as it takes time, so why is there so much backlash when MS does exactly what people say they want them to do?
because the core of those complaints arent that they are microsoft games, but how microsoft handles their studios and franchises.
- Rare was butchered, and people still complain about this dev till this day.
- Lionhead was basically forced to work on games they didnt want to make, and when the end result was bad, MS closed them. MS's decisions were the one who led them down that path
- Black Tusk, now The Coalition, was made to drop its new IP and to be a gears Machine. heck they literally made them come out and say that they are a "gears studio". its clear there is a lack of creative freedom
- Bungie was practically forced out of MS for the lack of creative freedom and choices. they lost their best first party studio because they didnt let them make anything but halo. that would be as big as Sony losing naughty dog.
- Phantom dust devs, Darkside games, was forced to close after MS constant meddling in their development. MS basically screwed them over and kept demanding more and more from them, without willing to add more to the budget. the end result was it was cancelled and the studio closed
- Scalebound died a slow and painfull death
- Crackdown 3 might have the same fate as scalebound. even if it didnt, it still went through development hell. and it was even announced before they had a developer to work on it!
- at the start of the gen MS announced they had 5 brand new studios to create the future of MS's games. only one of those studios ever released a game (black tusk/the coalition). MS Victoria was one of those devs that got closed.
- Quantum Break was announced alongside the xbox one announcement. which was infamous for its focus on "TV". and guess what, QB had a "tv show" plugged in a video game somehow, the end product was not too good. and while this isnt nearly as bad as the previous mentions its just another indication of MS middling in the games and doing what they want instead of letting a dev make the game they want to make.
anyhow, take a look at that list and realize that without the rare example, these are ALL just from THIS GEN. heck even rare (and lionhead) were forced to make service based games. of course you can come up with the argument that Sony and Nintendo closed some studios this gen and had some blunders. but MS had no where near the success that those publishers have had, further indicating that there is indeed a problem with how Microsoft mismanages its studios, thus a realistic and founded fear for the fans of obsidian about the well being of the studio and fears that it might be butchered or forced to be a shadow of its self, like many other MS studios have been made to do.