By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft rumoured to purchase Obsidian Entertainment

They won't get creative freedom and they won't have a budget free from constraints. Be a very bad move for them and the industry. For the life of me I can't understand why Microsoft don't develop more studios of their own. They have the money, they're just too lazy to do it.

Around the Network

Good luck to obsidian because they are gonna need it.

I don't like this, but it's good for Xbox and Windows consumer. Obsidian are a gem in this day and age, they can deliver great rpg replacing old bioware i don't want them to be exclusive only for Microsoft. If that happen i hope there will be other studios that surpassed them on making classic RPG .

Out of topic, this is why capitalism suck ass. Anyone who got money can buy everything they want including Studios. That's why i hate rich company like Apple and Microsoft. But it's funny how SONY can keep up with them and beet them.

Kerotan said:
They won't get creative freedom and they won't have a budget free from constraints. Be a very bad move for them and the industry. For the life of me I can't understand why Microsoft don't develop more studios of their own. They have the money, they're just too lazy to do it

It's Microsoft.u can't expect anything less.

I don't trust MS even nearly enough to consider this even remotely a good thing. I fully expected MS to screw up Obsidian somehow. If there's nothing else, Obsidian's future games might just become Store-exclusives. This is the worst gaming news I've heard in a long time, I think.

Ideally, this means Obsidian gets the funds to do greater stuff and Microsoft gets some good console exclusives, but I'm not really expecting the ideal situation to realize - at least in the long run.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 11 August 2018

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Obsidian are a talented company and some times companies need a good budget to really shine and blow the doors in this industry. MS will surely give them what they need to make a good game. They wont be wasting there investment in a brand for nothing, that's not how they work.

That's the thing though - with high budget, there are certain expectations for sales. When it comes to AAA publishers that usually means lot of common denominators (to be polite) with mass market games...not something, I'd think, anyone liking Obsidian's games would wish for really.

Don't like anything about it. Will never own a MS console, nor game on W10, so it's a loss of potential games in the future for me. Just don't like MS in general, and don't want to see them buying devs for reasons that are both obvious and have been outlined ad nauseum by not only myself in the past, but other members on this very thread. I guess, whatever though. I loved KOTOR 2 and South Park: TSOT ( although the groundwork/template for much of what KOTOR II was, could largely be credited to Bioware ), but as a studio, they're a blip on my radar. TBH, I wasn't happy when I heard Obsidian were making TSOT due to the fact that they had a poor reputation as it pertained to bugs/glitches/qa. So hey whatever. Let's see what happens.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

I wish the best for MS and Obsidian if this does happen. I believe MS and the Xbox division is more open than they ever have before, and they know they need more first party support and more diversity in their lineup of games. Obsidian would definitely bring more of that to the table.

pxrocks said:
Kerotan said:
They won't get creative freedom and they won't have a budget free from constraints. Be a very bad move for them and the industry. For the life of me I can't understand why Microsoft don't develop more studios of their own. They have the money, they're just too lazy to do it

It's Microsoft.u can't expect anything less.

Do you guys have sources? or is this nothing more than assumptions because.. of no reason?

CaptainExplosion said:
Azzanation said:

Do you guys have sources? or is this nothing more than assumptions because.. of no reason?

Mostly assumptions because Microsoft killed Rare.

Thought they did give Banjo-Kazooie a lovely present for their 20th anniversary. ^^ Minecraft skins. -_-

MS killed Rare? How so? Are we talking about the same company that Nintendo sold off because they were losing there staff, and that there last masterpiece was Banjo Tooie? That a whole different story I guess.