By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - DOOM Eternal show at Quakecon, coming to PS4, XONE, PC and Switch

Looks decent, I suppose. I'm seeing less of the arena fighting thing that seemed to plague the first game (which is the main reason I still don't have it). More precisely, it seems like the first game is about moving from an arena to another, and you have to fight waves of enemies in each arena before being able to move on. At least it felt that way in the demo, and what I've heard about the full game somewhat reinforces this. Eternal seems to be more about moving around and less about fighting in a confined space.

Around the Network
Zkuq said:
Looks decent, I suppose. I'm seeing less of the arena fighting thing that seemed to plague the first game (which is the main reason I still don't have it). More precisely, it seems like the first game is about moving from an arena to another, and you have to fight waves of enemies in each arena before being able to move on. At least it felt that way in the demo, and what I've heard about the full game somewhat reinforces this. Eternal seems to be more about moving around and less about fighting in a confined space.

Now that you mention it, yes, you're right. Throughout the first game, you'd see these nests that you have to destroy in order to summon all the demonic waves. In other occasions, the hordes are already waiting for you once you reach certain areas, open a door or something, especially in the last half. To be perfectly honest, it's not something that bothered me too much, since each "arena" would have its own trick to make things harder for you. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

That gameplay almost had me in tears. It sold me with the chain super shotgun. GOTY whenever this comes out, no question.

now this is one of my most anticipated titles of 2019. Now just announce a collectors edition so I can preorder :D

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

S.Peelman said:
There goes the argument that the power difference holds back the possible release of games. Today everything is good enough for anyone to make anything on everything in some capacity.

One of the big reasons Doom is possible on the switch is because it's 1080p and 60fps on PS/Xbox. They downgrade that to 720p and 30 FPS. That's more than half a drop of Resolution and half a drop in frame rate. A massive amount of resources freed up right there. More demanding games this gen won't come to switch. Dooms Res and frame rate give it lot of freedom to reduce technical demands without effecting the core gameplay. Something like cyberpunk or red dead would never run on the switch because it simply can't handle it without many comprises

Around the Network

Wait, Switch!? Oh hell yeah, did not expect that at all, day 1 buy from me, I loved Doom 2016 on Switch.

As for the game itself, it looks incredible; they seem to be doubling down on everything that made the last game great; badass weaponry, excellent mobility, brutal executions, a variety of gruesome baddies. Fantastic stuff!

Awesome! I loved the last one.

DaveTheMinion13 said:

Great another horrible port for the switch

Posts like this baffle me. Are you a Switch owner? Nobody is forcing you to buy the Switch version, you can get it on PS4/Xbone/PC if resolution and framerate are so vital to you, or just skip it and buy something else. And if you're not a Switch owner, how does them making a Switch port affect you in any way?

Not really my sort of game at all, but I might just pick it up to support Panic Button, I love that they've worked so hard on getting games of this caliber over. Wolfenstein was great too.

In for the Switch version! I wonder if it will release day and date with the other versions.