By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Germany lifts ban on Nazi Symbols in Video Games

melbye said:
Great news, it's ridiculous to censor a symbol, especially when used in proper context like a World War 2 game.

It's not ridiculous considering Germany history with that symbol... But I guess it's good they lifted the ban, it means they can confront their own history now in a way

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
Great news. Maybe this means that german censors will ease up on other areas too.

They haven’t censored anything major for ages though.

nidavellir said:
melbye said:
Great news, it's ridiculous to censor a symbol, especially when used in proper context like a World War 2 game.

It's not ridiculous considering Germany history with that symbol... But I guess it's good they lifted the ban, it means they can confront their own history now in a way

It’s been censored so it can’t be used to advertise Nazi ideology. It’s been allowed for usage in artistic contexts so I assume they just redefined that video games indeed can be considered art, which is a great development.

Errorist76 said:
nidavellir said:

It’s been censored so it can’t be used to advertise Nazi ideology. It’s been allowed for usage in artistic contexts so I assume they just redefined that video games indeed can be considered art, which is a great development.

Video games are considered art for quite some time now in Germany. The reason why NS symbols were/are still banned in games is actually really interesting. You're german so maybe you know the guys from "the pod". They made a great report about that topic when Wolfenstein 2 was released.

https://www.gamespodcast.de/reportage-alle-folgen/

Edit: I gues you have to back them on patreon to hear that specific podcast.

Last edited by MrWayne - on 09 August 2018

Kerotan said:
About time. You can't keep hiding from history forever.

nidavellir said:
melbye said:

Is there a history class in schools where you live? Germany was never hiding from from what happened in the past. Saying otherwise is an insult and shows how ignorant you are on the topic. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
Peh said:
Kerotan said:
About time. You can't keep hiding from history forever.

nidavellir said:

Is there a history class in schools where you live? Germany was never hiding from from what happened in the past. Saying otherwise is an insult and shows how ignorant you are on the topic. 

Censoring the nazi from media like games is like ireland censoring the British flag from movies and games. Absolutely ridiculous and I'm glad they've seen sense. Germany is progressing. 

Kerotan said:
Peh said:

Censoring the nazi from media like games is like ireland censoring the British flag from movies and games. Absolutely ridiculous and I'm glad they've seen sense. Germany is progressing. 

It's not from media like games. It's just games. And the censoring is not done by Germany but the game developers themselves. There is a law in Germany which states where and when you are permitted to show Nazi symbolism. One huge part is for educational purposes, so no German will ever forget and never repeat. Thus, saying that Germany was hiding from its history is an insult. 

It's to make it difficult for idiots like Neo-Nazi's to glorify the cruelty that was done during that time. Even if the ban was lifted, games which will glorify Nazism will still be banned. Games like Wolfenstein will get a pass, though. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Kerotan said:

It's not from media like games. It's just games. And the censoring is not done by Germany but the game developers themselves. There is a law in Germany which states where and when you are permitted to show Nazi symbolism. One huge part is for educational purposes, so no German will ever forget and never repeat. Thus, saying that Germany was hiding from its history is an insult. 

It's to make it difficult for idiots like Neo-Nazi's to glorify the cruelty that was done during that time. Even if the ban was lifted, games which will glorify Nazism will still be banned. Games like Wolfenstein will get a pass, though. 

So a few neo nazis get to ruin it for the majority? 

Kerotan said:
Peh said:

So a few neo nazis get to ruin it for the majority? 

How the fuck did you even conclude that? Do you need some special attention? 

Kerotan said:
Peh said:

banning symbols isn't really uncommon in the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post%E2%80%93World_War_II_legality_of_Nazi_flags
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bans_on_Communist_symbols
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Standard#ISIL_variant

Also as mentioned before it was never banned per se:

"(3) Subsection (1) above shall not apply if the propaganda materials or the act is meant to serve civil education, to avert unconstitutional movements, to promote art or science, research or teaching, the reporting about current or historical events or similar purposes."

https://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/englisch_stgb/englisch_stgb.html#p0868