By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

Megiddo said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Third party games are selling well because countless of third party developers and publishers have stated as much. Are you calling them liars? 

When was the last time you heard a third party developer say that their game sold like shit on a platform? Or that they were unhappy or disappointed? Fairly rare occurence from my knowledge. What would help your argument is data, but LOL, Nintendo hides data instead of sharing it. So who knows how well digital only games are doing. If only Nintendo could do what other companies do and share that information. Maybe they do it for the same reason that Microsoft doesn't mention consoles sales?

You mean like how Sony shares sales data for the PS Vita? At least Nintendo shared sales data for the Wii U. Why should Nintendo share sales data for third party developers? Microsoft or Sony don't do that either. What's your point?

The fact that more and more games get announced is enough proof that third party games are selling very well.

Nintendo also announced that some digital-only titles have already been downloaded over a million times (obviously not counting f2p games).

I quote a Nintendo executive: 

Tanaka: "Some of the indie games already released have gone on to become million sellers worldwide. In the future, we are looking to release around 20 to 30 indie games on Nintendo Switch per week, and we definitely expect to see some great games among them."

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/nintendo_wants_to_release_20-30_indie_games_every_week_on_switch

Here's some more sources of games performing very well on Switch: 

Shovel Knight earns more revenue from Switch sales than any other platform: 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-04-12-shovel-knight-earns-more-revenue-from-switch-sales-than-any-other-platform

Hollow Knight was downloaded 250K times in just two weeks (and it's still in the top 5 eshop ranking): 

https://www.destructoid.com/hollow-knight-only-needed-two-weeks-to-sell-250k-copies-on-nintendo-switch-510526.phtml

Fortnite on Switch was downloaded 2 million times in under 24 hours: 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17460786/fortnite-nintendo-switch-2-million-downloads-epic-games-e3-2018

As of April 2018 Stardew Valley sold 1 million units on Switch, and Overcooked sold 500K units:

http://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/04/27/stardew-valley-nintendo-switch-overcooked-sales/

Steamworld Dig 2 sold ten times as much on Switch than on Steam: 

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/kzgq7y/steamworld-dig-2-sales-switch

Octopath Traveler shipped 1 million copies in just three weeks: 

https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/03/octopath-traveler-one-million-shipped/

Super Bomber Man R sold 1 million copies and most of it came from the Switch as it bombed on the PS4 and Xbox One:

https://nintendoeverything.com/super-bomberman-r-approaching-one-million-copies-sold-worldwide/

Half of Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon sales were from the Switch: 

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-06-07-half-of-bloodstained-curse-of-the-moons-week-one-sales-were-on-switch

Etc.

Last edited by AlkibiĆ”dēs - on 10 August 2018

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
Megiddo said:

When was the last time you heard a third party developer say that their game sold like shit on a platform? Or that they were unhappy or disappointed? Fairly rare occurence from my knowledge. What would help your argument is data, but LOL, Nintendo hides data instead of sharing it. So who knows how well digital only games are doing. If only Nintendo could do what other companies do and share that information. Maybe they do it for the same reason that Microsoft doesn't mention consoles sales?

You mean like how Sony shares sales data for the PS Vita? At least Nintendo shared sales data for the Wii U. Why should Nintendo share sales data for third party developers? Microsoft or Sony don't do that either. What's your point?

The fact that more and more games get announced is enough proof that third party games are selling very well.

Nintendo also announced that some digital-only titles have already been downloaded over a million times (obviously not counting f2p games).

Wait, which titles specifically did Nintendo name as having been downloaded over a million times?

Megiddo said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Wait, which titles specifically did Nintendo name as having been downloaded over a million times?

Read my updated post, all the sources are there. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
COKTOE said:

Sure. I get off on AAA games. I didn't bring it up to address a disparity in the 2 meta lists or anything.....Do you get off on 80+ metascores?

24 of those indies games came out on the PS4 in years prior, massively skewing the number of 2018. Which is the year you referenced. Which is the point. You're bringing up 2013-2014? Why? What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

You paid $15 for Hollow Knight? You'll go with indies? Fantastic. I have hundreds of indies. Again, it has nothing to do with the lists you brought up.

Switch is releasing games at a "pace not even the PS4 can match" because it's plundering indie games from the past and releasing them in 2018. And the few AA/AAA games on the list ( Battle Chasers, South Park, YS VIII, Okami HD ) are simply late ports. Again, almost all old news on the PS4. Close to 60% of the Switch's 2018 80+ games are not even 2018 games. Do you think the Switch will have so many games from years prior in 2019? 2020? It will likely be more in step with the other consoles in that regard simply because it's drawing upon a very finite source, especially as it concerns titles of worth, that have the potential to score 80+ on metacritic.

Switch will beat the PS4 in 2019 again in terms of quality games yes, it's no contest anymore. We see more and more indie games going console exclusive because Playstation Plus is a terrible thing for developers. Indie games sell a lot more on the Switch than the PS4 and developers are starting to take notice. 

And there are barely any decent third party AAA games on the PS4 this year lol. 

By the way, 15 of the 36 games on the PS4 that scored over 80% aren't from 2018 either... So don't be a hypocrite LOL.

- Shadow of the Colossus (remake)

- Owlboy

- Injustice 2: Legendary Edition

- Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

- Sonic Mania Plus

- Dark Souls Remastered

- Assasins Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharaohs (DLC expansion)

- Prey: Mooncrash (DLC expansion)

- Yakuza 6: the Song of Life (released in Japan in 2016)

- Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection

- Burnout Paradise Remastered 

- Lumines Remastered

- Slime-San: Superslime Edition (released on Switch first)

- Mega Man X: Legacy Collection 1 & 2

- Dragon's Crown Pro

Good story boiiii.

KLAMarine said:
pxrocks said:
May be Nintendo gamers came out of their hive minded mentality and finally realized that there are better games outside of typical nintendo games(Mario Pokemon).i mean how the hell you play the same games for like 1000yrs.better late than ever.and now I can say that a successful Nintendo gaming device is good for the whole industry.hope they continue this for their next hybrid.

Nintendo should diversify their first party more.i cant imagine their all games are cartoony.zelda is cell shaded one.everything else is cartoon.i think they are doing this for cost cutting.which is a typical thing for Nintendo.every nintendo gamer should start buying more third parties.

Around the Network
pxrocks said:

Nintendo should diversify their first party more.i cant imagine their all games are cartoony.zelda is cell shaded one.everything else is cartoon.i think they are doing this for cost cutting.which is a typical thing for Nintendo.every nintendo gamer should start buying more third parties.

They do it because it looks good. You're right that it saves money, but Nintendo has always had a certain aesthetic to their games, which evolves and changes with hardware. 

pxrocks said:
KLAMarine said:

Nintendo should diversify their first party more.

Sure, why not?

pxrocks said: 

i cant imagine their all games are cartoony.zelda is cell shaded one.everything else is cartoon.

Thank goodness too. Those are the games that appeal to me: cartoony and colorful.

pxrocks said: 

i think they are doing this for cost cutting.which is a typical thing for Nintendo.

A typical thing for any business to do: cut costs whenever possible and it turns out you can make a great-looking game if you rely on art style over dense textures. You can make it run better too.

pxrocks said: 

every nintendo gamer should start buying more third parties.

I'm doing my part: I own more third party games than first party and last I checked, a healthy number of third party games inhabit high rankings in the e-shop.

DonFerrari said:
Alkibiádçs said:

You do realize every popular console has this "problem" right? 

Besides, looking at Metacritic the Nintendo Switch currently has 52 titles that scored over 80% this year, while the PS4 only has 37 titles and the Xbox One even less with only 25 titles. 

Yes I do realize that.

But when you use inflated numbers of trash titles to deny that some of the games that sold well on Switch were helped by lack of competition you didn't mind it and complained that he was dismissing digital games. So you can't have it both ways.

By "trash titles", do you mean games that other people enjoy, but you deem are beneath your standards?

Because it's a more core centric Nintendo platform and Nintendo's fan base is getting older, and older people have more disposable income than kids. That opens the door for a broader variety of content to do better. Things like FIFA for example are doing alright on Switch. 

To be honest too, there were 3rd party successes on the N64. Things like Turok 1/2 both sold over a million copies, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron was over a million, San Fransico Rush and NFL Quarterback Club (not even a good game), WCW Ntiro sold over a million, even South Park 64 I believe sold over a million. So Switch maybe is just a normalization from the Wii/DS era where the systems were flooded with a bunch of shovelware in large part from 3rd parties chasing the Wii Sports/Brain Training fads. 

Switch is the first Nintendo system that doesn't rely heavily on casuals and doesn't look like a child's toy since the N64, but unlike the N64, cartridges aren't nearly as restrictive anymore. If the N64 had the option for even 200MB cartridges (1/3 a CD) at a reasonable cost it would've gotten way more dev support. Today you can do 16-32GB games for a reasonable cost and next year 64GB cards will be available, not to mention today you have the ability to have game data in download patches via the internet, something impossible during the N64 days. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 10 August 2018

Soundwave said:

NFL Quarterback Club (not even a good game)

Boo, I say boo to you sir. I had way more fun with NFL Quarterback Club than I did any other American football title not named NFL Blitz or Mutant Football League.