By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

Alkibiádēs said:
COKTOE said:

Amazing!( ly padded list )........There's a much higher presence of full-on AA/AAA games on the PS4, and the Switch's top 2018 games are not only flooded with games, that while good, are mere indies. Most importantly: That entire switch list is dominated by games that already came out on other platforms in 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, and on and on. How many? Twenty-nine. 30 if you include Pac-Man CE 2 plus, which is more or less the same as Pac-Man CE 2.

Of those games only 6 were not already released on the PS4 in years prior. At a glance, every PS4 game of those "only 37" are legit 2018 games. Also of note but less important, some of those games scored higher on Switch because metacritic reasons: Different reviewer, different number of reviewers, and at least a few that literally have no metascore on PS4.

See? I CAN count.

Do you get off on AAA games or something? Indie games are often better and cheaper to boot. And we're living in the era where indie games can become massive... Stardew Valley, Rocket League, Undertale, Binding of Isaac, Shovel Knight, etc. all sold many, many millions. Heck, even Minecraft started out as an indie game. 

I paid 15 bucks for Hollow Knight and it continues to get free DLC. If it was owned by a major third party publisher they would charge you 60 bucks and extra for DLC. Yeah, I'll go with indie games then. Shovel Knight was recently announced as an assist trophy... he's the FIRST video game character developed (and owned) by a western studio to feature in Super Smash Bros. 

Oh, and take a look at the list of games in the first two years of the PS4, not much different lol. 

Count all you want, but the Switch is getting quality game after quality game at a staggering pace. A pace that not even the PS4 can match, certainly not in its first two years on the market. 

Sure. I get off on AAA games. I didn't bring it up to address a disparity in the 2 meta lists or anything.....Do you get off on 80+ metascores?

24 of those indies games came out on the PS4 in years prior, massively skewing the number of 2018. Which is the year you referenced. Which is the point. You're bringing up 2013-2014? Why? What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

You paid $15 for Hollow Knight? You'll go with indies? Fantastic. I have hundreds of indies. Again, it has nothing to do with the lists you brought up.

Switch is releasing games at a "pace not even the PS4 can match" because it's plundering indie games from the past and releasing them in 2018. And the few AA/AAA games on the list ( Battle Chasers, South Park, YS VIII, Okami HD ) are simply late ports. Again, almost all old news on the PS4. Close to 60% of the Switch's 2018 80+ games are not even 2018 games. Do you think the Switch will have so many games from years prior in 2019? 2020? It will likely be more in step with the other consoles in that regard simply because it's drawing upon a very finite source, especially as it concerns titles of worth, that have the potential to score 80+ on metacritic.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 10 August 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

May be Nintendo gamers came out of their hive minded mentality and finally realized that there are better games outside of typical nintendo games(Mario Pokemon).i mean how the hell you play the same games for like 1000yrs.better late than ever.and now I can say that a successful Nintendo gaming device is good for the whole industry.hope they continue this for their next hybrid.

User was warned for this post. - Pemalite.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 10 August 2018

MajorMalfunction said:

Indies are generally lower-cost endeavours wrt. developing and publishing. 400K sales is a hit SF2 because it's thirty years old. AAA doesn't give a shit. They make 27 million off 1m sales. Publishing is 20m upfront, net profit is 7m. Same revenue on PS4XB1, but you only spend 12m. If you're a business, what would you choose? Unless the market is saturated, I cannot in good conscience pick NSW. It just doesn't make sense to me. We haven't even spent a cent on development and NSW is already far behind in terms of opportunity cost.

Bethesda said they're fine with sales of their Switch games. Capcom, Bandai Namco and Ubisoft have sung nothing but praise for sales on the Switch. Also, you do realize the Switch is a new console with a smaller userbase as a result. As the Switch becomes more successful, it's going to be harder to ignore among developers, including whatever studio your working at (you are a game developer I assume right?). 

pxrocks said:
May be Nintendo gamers came out of their hive minded mentality and finally realized that there are better games outside of typical nintendo games(Mario Pokemon).i mean how the hell you play the same games for like 1000yrs.better late than ever.and now I can say that a successful Nintendo gaming device is good for the whole industry.hope they continue this for their next hybrid.

contestgamer said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

A console should be able to appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers equally, being lopsided isn't particularly healthy for anyone. And budget sidescrollers? It's just Kirby and Donkey Kong at the moment, where are you getting that nonsense from? 

Consoles should only appeal to the hardcore. Casuals arent welcome, they can go buy phones.

Wow, is this serious? I couldn't disagree more.

You already have 2 console that appeal 95% to the "hardcore". Is that not enough? Who are you to say the mass market audience shouldn't have a console that appeals to them.

And phone gaming sucks for the most part, Hearthstone and Pokemon Go notwithstaning. "Casuals" deserve quality gaming too.

And besides, even the Switch is like 75% core style games. Lol..

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

It's just a damn good system. Although I'm still slacking and have yet to buy a pro controller ($90 in Canada). But a lot of people like to play their favorite 3rd party titles on the go, even if it is a very poor version compared to what the Xbox and PS4 deliver. Doom is a lot more fun on the go than it is sitting on my PC or Xbox playing it. The Switch proves gameplay is more favored than graphics by a lot of gamers.

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Thats not an argument. You dont have one and you know it. Nice try trying to slip in 1000 copies of digital shovelware, but you got found.

Yeah because you're the smartest guy here... 

Last edited by Rab - on 10 August 2018

COKTOE said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Do you get off on AAA games or something? Indie games are often better and cheaper to boot. And we're living in the era where indie games can become massive... Stardew Valley, Rocket League, Undertale, Binding of Isaac, Shovel Knight, etc. all sold many, many millions. Heck, even Minecraft started out as an indie game. 

I paid 15 bucks for Hollow Knight and it continues to get free DLC. If it was owned by a major third party publisher they would charge you 60 bucks and extra for DLC. Yeah, I'll go with indie games then. Shovel Knight was recently announced as an assist trophy... he's the FIRST video game character developed (and owned) by a western studio to feature in Super Smash Bros. 

Oh, and take a look at the list of games in the first two years of the PS4, not much different lol. 

Count all you want, but the Switch is getting quality game after quality game at a staggering pace. A pace that not even the PS4 can match, certainly not in its first two years on the market. 

Sure. I get off on AAA games. I didn't bring it up to address a disparity in the 2 meta lists or anything.....Do you get off on 80+ metascores?

24 of those indies games came out on the PS4 in years prior, massively skewing the number of 2018. Which is the year you referenced. Which is the point. You're bringing up 2013-2014? Why? What does that have to do with the topic at hand?

You paid $15 for Hollow Knight? You'll go with indies? Fantastic. I have hundreds of indies. Again, it has nothing to do with the lists you brought up.

Switch is releasing games at a "pace not even the PS4 can match" because it's plundering indie games from the past and releasing them in 2018. And the few AA/AAA games on the list ( Battle Chasers, South Park, YS VIII, Okami HD ) are simply late ports. Again, almost all old news on the PS4. Close to 60% of the Switch's 2018 80+ games are not even 2018 games. Do you think the Switch will have so many games from years prior in 2019? 2020? It will likely be more in step with the other consoles in that regard simply because it's drawing upon a very finite source, especially as it concerns titles of worth, that have the potential to score 80+ on metacritic.

Switch will beat the PS4 in 2019 again in terms of quality games yes, it's no contest anymore. We see more and more indie games going console exclusive because Playstation Plus is a terrible thing for developers. Indie games sell a lot more on the Switch than the PS4 and developers are starting to take notice. 

And there are barely any decent third party AAA games on the PS4 this year lol. 

By the way, 15 of the 36 games on the PS4 that scored over 80% aren't from 2018 either... So don't be a hypocrite LOL.

- Shadow of the Colossus (remake)

- Owlboy

- Injustice 2: Legendary Edition

- Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

- Sonic Mania Plus

- Dark Souls Remastered

- Assasins Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharaohs (DLC expansion)

- Prey: Mooncrash (DLC expansion)

- Yakuza 6: the Song of Life (released in Japan in 2016)

- Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection

- Burnout Paradise Remastered 

- Lumines Remastered

- Slime-San: Superslime Edition (released on Switch first)

- Mega Man X: Legacy Collection 1 & 2

- Dragon's Crown Pro

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Alkibiádēs said:
COKTOE said:

Switch will beat the PS4 in 2019 again in terms of quality games yes, it's no contest anymore. We see more and more indie games going console exclusive because Playstation Plus is a terrible thing for developers. Indie games sell a lot more on the Switch than the PS4 and developers are starting to take notice. 

And there are barely any decent third party AAA games on the PS4 this year lol. 

By the way, 15 of the 36 games on the PS4 that scored over 80% aren't from 2018 either... So don't be a hypocrite LOL.

- Shadow of the Colossus (remake)

- Owlboy

- Injustice 2: Legendary Edition

- Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

- Sonic Mania Plus

- Dark Souls Remastered

- Assasins Creed Origins: The Curse of the Pharaohs (DLC expansion)

- Prey: Mooncrash (DLC expansion)

- Yakuza 6: the Song of Life (released in Japan in 2016)

- Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection

- Burnout Paradise Remastered 

- Lumines Remastered

- Slime-San: Superslime Edition (released on Switch first)

- Mega Man X: Legacy Collection 1 & 2

- Dragon's Crown Pro

You certainly like to toss around "lol" liberally. Way too liberally. Stop it. Nothing about this is funny, unless you think it's funny that I'm wasting my fucking time on this topic. Looking at lists and shit, comparing release dates.......Ok it's kinda funny.

The criteria I used was looking at the release dates on metacritic. What criteria did you use?

- Megaman X Legacy Collection  1 & 2. Released on the same day on all platforms. Did it come out as a collection prior to this? OK, then is also gets added to the Switch list of 80+ games already released.

- Street Fighter 30th - Again, same release date. What are you talking about? That the games existed in some form prior to this? No shit. It's also on the switch 80+ list. Another nullification.  

- Sonic Mania Plus - Another one

- Owlboy - Yep

- Shante HGH Ultimate

- Lumines

- I forgot to add DCK: TF in my original list.

By your criteria, these all go onto the Switch list as well, as they were not on my original list. I suppose I have to post that later....Don't have to though. It's all there on MC.

As for your PS4 list:

- Yakuza 6 - Including a game released in another region, but not in the rest of the world. Bullshit. MC doesn't include JP only games to begin with.

- Remasters are exempt, so I'm removing them from your PS4 list for the sake of convenience.

- DLC expansions are new, reviewed content. Why are the disqualified? Because it's convenient? Doesn't meet your standards of a reviewable piece of software? OK, well, the Switch games that are on Ipad/Iphone also aren't worthy, so they don't count on the new list I'm inventing. So, also gone from the Switch 2018 list are

- Inside

- Super One More Jump

-Splatoon 2 DLC

ALSO, even though though it was only listed for Switch on MC, this was out earlier in 2016 on Steam.

- Layers Of Fear

So, with all the PS4 games you listed that are also guilty of the same thing on Switch, that I didn't include initially ( + 6 ), DLC - Splatoon 2 ( + 1 ),  I-Phone games not being worthy ( + 2 ), forgetting DCK: TF, ( +1 ), and Layers Of Fear ( +1 ) that brings the Switch list up to (41) 80+ games already released on other platforms in previous years.

Removing remasters, because there's a clear difference between re-releasing an improved version of an AAA game, and a do-nothing, late port of an indie, removing the remake, removing Yakuza 6, and going by the criteria you laid out it's 41 pre 2018 games for Switch and 8 for PS4.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 10 August 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Alkibiádēs said:
Megiddo said:

Holy crap. Something of actual substance and not just fanwanking. Well said. It's all about perception.

Whereas I would look at data like Nintendo publishing less than 10% of retail software but having over 70% percent of software sales and say that Switch owners are not picking up hardly any 3rd party retail software (especially taking out the exclusives like Mario + Rabbids) other people can see those same horribly disproportionate numbers and say in general third part software is "selling well".

Third party games are selling well because countless of third party developers and publishers have stated as much. Are you calling them liars? 

When was the last time you heard a third party developer say that their game sold like shit on a platform? Or that they were unhappy or disappointed? Fairly rare occurence from my knowledge. What would help your argument is data, but LOL, Nintendo hides data instead of sharing it. So who knows how well digital only games are doing. If only Nintendo could do what other companies do and share that information. Maybe they do it for the same reason that Microsoft doesn't mention consoles sales?