By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Yeah digital games are irrelevant, now I've heard it all 

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

I’ve spent 40h on Hollow Knight and not on a retail game, are you saying that doesn’t matter because it’s a digital game only ?

Around the Network
Rab said:
contestgamer said:

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

Thats not an argument. You dont have one and you know it. Nice try trying to slip in 1000 copies of digital shovelware, but you got found.

Alkibiádēs said:
contestgamer said:

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

Lmao, games like Stardew Valley, Minecraft and Rocket League were downloaded at least 1M+ times already (before physical versions were released for the two latter games). Hollow Knight was downloaded 250K times in just two weeks and it's still ranking in the top 3 of the eshop on a daily basis. 

TheMisterManGuy said:

Now of course, Switch obviously isn't getting every AAA third party title, it's still a tablet with clear limitations. But it's still a powerful, well designed piece of kit that speaks not just to Nintendo fans, but to the gaming audience as a whole. And that's why third party games are doing so well on it.

I need receipts. Octopath has broken 1 million, Skyrim has broken 1 million. Almost 20 million sold and only 2 third party games breaking a million is not an indicator that games universally sell well on Switch. I'll give you Nintendo games, no doubt, but third parties are high and dry for the most part. IMO, it's not getting every third party title because it doesn't make sense when you account for opportunity costs of money and development man-hours. It's going to get some third party games that sell well, and some that don't. The market will correct and stop making products that don't sell.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

The bigger third party titles are missing. And the ones selling, are helped by less competition on the system.

Around the Network

I don't see how that is the case.

MajorMalfunction said:

I need receipts. Octopath has broken 1 million, Skyrim has broken 1 million. Almost 20 million sold and only 2 third party games breaking a million is not an indicator that games universally sell well on Switch. I'll give you Nintendo games, no doubt, but third parties are high and dry for the most part. IMO, it's not getting every third party title because it doesn't make sense when you account for opportunity costs of money and development man-hours. It's going to get some third party games that sell well, and some that don't. The market will correct and stop making products that don't sell.

You don't need to sell a million to be successful. It all depends on development costs of the game and how much needs to be sold to break even. Many indies on Switch were considered a massive success at only 250-400k. Capcom considered Ultra Street Fighter II's 400k sales to be a hit. 

contestgamer said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Lmao, games like Stardew Valley, Minecraft and Rocket League were downloaded at least 1M+ times already (before physical versions were released for the two latter games). Hollow Knight was downloaded 250K times in just two weeks and it's still ranking in the top 3 of the eshop on a daily basis. 

Some people are not understanding that when you complain about the digital only being counted for the 1k titles, you are not saying Rocket League doesn't count, but that more than 90% of the listed titles are pointless. Unless we want to see an average attach ratio for games and get the 100M sold SW for 1K titles would make 100k average per games on 20M userbase so the attach ratio would be 0,5%

I bet they wouldn't like you to say the platform is bad because on average the attach ratio is 0,5% I'm pretty sure they would disqualify those digital games very fast.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 09 August 2018

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

By few do you mean about 1000? Because that's how many Switch games are currently on the System, look it up 

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

They're irrelevant!?

Are they not games if they're digital? Was there not an exchange of money during the purchase of these digital games? If they're not games, what the hell have I been playing all this time!?

bubblegamer said:
The bigger third party titles are missing. And the ones selling, are helped by less competition on the system.

Not gonna bring up the comparatively low Switch userbase?

It’s all perception.
“Since its release late last autumn, third party game A sells an astonishing 400,000 units on Switch.”
“After over 6 weeks, third party game B sells only 1.2 million units on Wii, nowhere near Mario Kart Wii which has just past the 20 million mark, and Mario Galaxy which just past the 8 million mark.”

I’m not saying that Switch sales are bad, I’m saying that Wii sales were actually a lot better than the perception, and objectively stronger than the Switch.

Holy crap. Something of actual substance and not just fanwanking. Well said. It's all about perception.

Whereas I would look at data like Nintendo publishing less than 10% of retail software but having over 70% percent of software sales and say that Switch owners are not picking up hardly any 3rd party retail software (especially taking out the exclusives like Mario + Rabbids) other people can see those same horribly disproportionate numbers and say in general third part software is "selling well".