By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

By few do you mean about 1000? Because that's how many Switch games are currently on the System, look it up 

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

Lmao, games like Stardew Valley, Minecraft and Rocket League were downloaded at least 1M+ times already (before physical versions were released for the two latter games). Hollow Knight was downloaded 250K times in just two weeks and it's still ranking in the top 3 of the eshop on a daily basis. 



"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Yeah digital games are irrelevant, now I've heard it all 

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

This is not the Wii U dude. A good amount of big sellers from thirds on the system are digital only with a few already cracking the million sales. Even games like Minecraft, Rocket League and NBA 2K18 remained as digital only for a while.



Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Yeah digital games are irrelevant, now I've heard it all 

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

I’ve spent 40h on Hollow Knight and not on a retail game, are you saying that doesn’t matter because it’s a digital game only ?



Rab said:
contestgamer said:

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

Thats not an argument. You dont have one and you know it. Nice try trying to slip in 1000 copies of digital shovelware, but you got found.



Alkibiádēs said:
contestgamer said:

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

Lmao, games like Stardew Valley, Minecraft and Rocket League were downloaded at least 1M+ times already (before physical versions were released for the two latter games). Hollow Knight was downloaded 250K times in just two weeks and it's still ranking in the top 3 of the eshop on a daily basis. 



Around the Network
TranceformerFX said:
Because Nintendo largely hasn't embraced 3rd Party titles since the Super Nintendo. Now that Nintendo is finally doing it again with the Switch, there can only be positive things to come of it. Though I do think Nintendo fans are blowing 3rd party video game sales out of proportion compared to the same game(s) on X1/PS4.

What does that even mean?  Nintendo didn't embrace 3rd parties since the SNES?



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

TheMisterManGuy said:

Now of course, Switch obviously isn't getting every AAA third party title, it's still a tablet with clear limitations. But it's still a powerful, well designed piece of kit that speaks not just to Nintendo fans, but to the gaming audience as a whole. And that's why third party games are doing so well on it.

I need receipts. Octopath has broken 1 million, Skyrim has broken 1 million. Almost 20 million sold and only 2 third party games breaking a million is not an indicator that games universally sell well on Switch. I'll give you Nintendo games, no doubt, but third parties are high and dry for the most part. IMO, it's not getting every third party title because it doesn't make sense when you account for opportunity costs of money and development man-hours. It's going to get some third party games that sell well, and some that don't. The market will correct and stop making products that don't sell.



Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

The bigger third party titles are missing. And the ones selling, are helped by less competition on the system.



I don't see how that is the case.



MajorMalfunction said:

I need receipts. Octopath has broken 1 million, Skyrim has broken 1 million. Almost 20 million sold and only 2 third party games breaking a million is not an indicator that games universally sell well on Switch. I'll give you Nintendo games, no doubt, but third parties are high and dry for the most part. IMO, it's not getting every third party title because it doesn't make sense when you account for opportunity costs of money and development man-hours. It's going to get some third party games that sell well, and some that don't. The market will correct and stop making products that don't sell.

You don't need to sell a million to be successful. It all depends on development costs of the game and how much needs to be sold to break even. Many indies on Switch were considered a massive success at only 250-400k. Capcom considered Ultra Street Fighter II's 400k sales to be a hit.