By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

MinatozakiSana said:
There aren't as many titles on Switch as there are on other consoles, so sales are concentrated into the few that gets released there.

By few do you mean about 1000? Because that's how many Switch games are currently on the System, look it up 

Around the Network
Rab said:
MinatozakiSana said:
There aren't as many titles on Switch as there are on other consoles, so sales are concentrated into the few that gets released there.

By few do you mean about 1000? Because that's how many Switch games are currently on the System, look it up 

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

Yeah digital games are irrelevant, now I've heard it all 

It’s mainly perception, the sales of games on Switch is being received by the media more positively - 300,000 sales on Switch is received better than 1 million sales on the Wii; when looking at charts, third party sales are significantly down from the Wii era - there’s still no third party Switch games tracking above 1 million on VGC, while by this point in its life, the Wii has many: some above 2 and 3 million.

On the other hand, games with a quirky appropriate or local multiplayer do sell better on Switch than other consoles... but this has been generally true about Nintendo for a very long time; and these games generally sell low amounts outside of Nintendo. But nothing is selling even close to as well as Nintendo’s top selling software, and this has been the complaint in the past.

It’s all perception.
“Since its release late last autumn, third party game A sells an astonishing 400,000 units on Switch.”
“After over 6 weeks, third party game B sells only 1.2 million units on Wii, nowhere near Mario Kart Wii which has just past the 20 million mark, and Mario Galaxy which just past the 8 million mark.”

I’m not saying that Switch sales are bad, I’m saying that Wii sales were actually a lot better than the perception, and objectively stronger than the Switch.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Rab said:
contestgamer said:

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

Naruto trilogy, Okami HD, Rocket League, Megaman collection or Hollow Knight are digital only

Smart-ass answer: because people are buying them.

Serious answer: Popularity mixed with portability.

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Lmao, games like Stardew Valley, Minecraft and Rocket League were downloaded at least 1M+ times already (before physical versions were released for the two latter games). Hollow Knight was downloaded 250K times in just two weeks and it's still ranking in the top 3 of the eshop on a daily basis. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

This is not the Wii U dude. A good amount of big sellers from thirds on the system are digital only with a few already cracking the million sales. Even games like Minecraft, Rocket League and NBA 2K18 remained as digital only for a while.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138