By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

starving for content. i know i am. so when something of interest comes along it is jumped on.

plus the ability to have it portable has a factor to do with it.

Around the Network
MinatozakiSana said:
There aren't as many titles on Switch as there are on other consoles, so sales are concentrated into the few that gets released there.

By few do you mean about 1000? Because that's how many Switch games are currently on the System, look it up 

Rab said:
MinatozakiSana said:
There aren't as many titles on Switch as there are on other consoles, so sales are concentrated into the few that gets released there.

By few do you mean about 1000? Because that's how many Switch games are currently on the System, look it up 

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Youre counting digital ronly titles in there too, which are irrelevant. Look at games released n physical copies and its small.

Yeah digital games are irrelevant, now I've heard it all 

It’s mainly perception, the sales of games on Switch is being received by the media more positively - 300,000 sales on Switch is received better than 1 million sales on the Wii; when looking at charts, third party sales are significantly down from the Wii era - there’s still no third party Switch games tracking above 1 million on VGC, while by this point in its life, the Wii has many: some above 2 and 3 million.

On the other hand, games with a quirky appropriate or local multiplayer do sell better on Switch than other consoles... but this has been generally true about Nintendo for a very long time; and these games generally sell low amounts outside of Nintendo. But nothing is selling even close to as well as Nintendo’s top selling software, and this has been the complaint in the past.

It’s all perception.
“Since its release late last autumn, third party game A sells an astonishing 400,000 units on Switch.”
“After over 6 weeks, third party game B sells only 1.2 million units on Wii, nowhere near Mario Kart Wii which has just past the 20 million mark, and Mario Galaxy which just past the 8 million mark.”

I’m not saying that Switch sales are bad, I’m saying that Wii sales were actually a lot better than the perception, and objectively stronger than the Switch.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Rab said:
contestgamer said:

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

contestgamer said:
Rab said:

Are you seriously going to count digital only games now? Most of those are equivalent to android/iphone games.

Naruto trilogy, Okami HD, Rocket League, Megaman collection or Hollow Knight are digital only

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

This thread is a fine example of indoctrination or brainwashing that has been done by the gaming industry and forums for about two decades. The most fundamental question isn't even asked anymore, instead people are happy to go with the multitude of excuses that they have been fed by third party apologists. But it's of utmost importance that people ask themselves if games are worth buying, and that's the starting point for everything. If you use that premise as starting point, it's not necessary to come up with inventive explanations, because the pieces fall in place naturally.

Jumpin is about the only one in this thread who posted something of value. Third party game sales on Wii were much better in reality than people pretend them to be. There was lots of hate for the Wii, so logical reasoning was commonly tossed out the window and therefore low budget games that were easily profitable at 500k sold were supposed to sell 3m+ before they could be generally accepted as a success. Switch doesn't have to deal with this nonsense, so unit sales relative to budget is a factor that gets acknowledged and it's much easier to have good sales when reasonable metrics get applied.

People keep coming with crazy stuff how it is possible that third parties can concurrently succeed on Nintendo handhelds and fail on Nintendo home consoles, but the explanation is so simple: Third party games on Nintendo handhelds have been of higher quality, therefore there has been much higher interest from console owners to buy said games. The only thing that needs to be done to answer this thread's question is to evaluate the quality of third party titles on Switch: Are many of the releases of above average quality or do the games suck in general.

Good games have a much higher chance to sell well than shitty games. What a mindblowing surprise.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Smart-ass answer: because people are buying them.

Serious answer: Popularity mixed with portability.

contestgamer said:
Rab said: