By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

There are a huge number of 4th gen (SNES, Mega Drive/Genesis) games that still look amazing. Some examples that come to mind would be Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Super Castlevania IV, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, and a lot of others. 

The 5th generation unfortunately doesn't have quite as many games that still hold up today in terms of visuals. The early implementation of 3D graphics just doesn't look very good. Still, I think there are some games that do still hold up very well regardless, mostly ones that came out late in the generation. Crash Bandicoot 3 is still a pretty good looking game, as is Final Fantasy IX, both on PS1. On the N64 there are some examples as well, like much of Rare's later output on the console, as well as Nintendo's own games naturally.

Once we get to the 7th generation there are just too many games to even list. Developers had gotten used to 3D graphics by this point, and especially later in the generation each console produced some absolutely gorgeous games. On PS2 there were the likes of Okami, God of War 2, Final Fantasy XII, and many others. On Gamecube we had Tales of Symphonia, Star Fox Adventure, Metroid Prime 2, and more. The Xbox also produced a lot of beautiful titles, such as Halo 2, Ninja Gaiden, and Fable. 

Around the Network

Commandos (1998) juicy 2d grafix timeless beauty

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

CaptainExplosion said:
mZuzek said:

Prime 1 and 2 look just ridiculous for their time, really. These pictures don't actually do them justice. Keep in mind it's all locked 60fps.

JRPGfan said:

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)

PS2, seriously? These still hold up so well!! :D

Emulators - if it's not PC game, first telltale sign of emulator is resolution and insane amount of AA.

OT: Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (2004)

+1 for Gran Turismo 4. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

mZuzek said:
HoloDust said:

Emulators - if it's not PC game, first telltale sign of emulator is resolution and insane amount of AA.

Yes, I'm aware. The games still look amazing, though.

No doubt about it.

Still, people tend to go for pics from emulators, which look quite a bit better.

Around the Network

The Kingdom hearts games.

Doom 3 (2004)

Half Life 2 (2004)

StarCraft: Broodwar (1998)

Last edited by MrWayne - on 08 August 2018

+1 to Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Rogue Squadron 2 & 3, Starfox Adventures, Chronicles of Riddick, and Half-Life 2. Some other 6th gen games that still look good to me:

Conker Live and Reloaded (Xbox, 2005)

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube, 2005)

Broken Sword (1996)

Broken Sword 2 (1997)

Blade Runner (1997)

Day of the Tentacle (1993)

Discworld 2 (1996)

Gabriel Knight (1993)

Heart of China (1991)

King's Quest 6 (1992)

King's Quest 7 (1994)

Leather Goddesses of Phobos 2 (1992)

Leisure Suit Larry 6 (1993)

Leisure Suit Larry 7 (1996)

Monkey Island 2 (1991)

Monkey Island 3 (1997)

Orion Burger (1996)

Quest for Glory 4 (1993)

Return to Zork (1993)

Sam & Max (1993)

Shannara (1995)

Space Quest 5 (1993)

The Adventures of Willy Beamish (1991)

The Dig (1995)

The Journeyman Project 3 (1998)

The Last Express (1997)

The Legend of Kyrandia 2 (1993)

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes (1992)

The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 2 (1996)

Toonstruck (1996)