By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
mZuzek said:
HoloDust said:

Emulators - if it's not PC game, first telltale sign of emulator is resolution and insane amount of AA.

Yes, I'm aware. The games still look amazing, though.

Just keep in mind that emulation can massively increase the internal resolution that those games ran at, sometimes with early 3d it can make huge differences which really aren't a case of "do the original games still look good" when no one really played say... Metroid Prime Hunters in 1080p on a DS

I mean.... the game looks great today... as long as you are increasing the resolution miles above the original games.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

I agree with people saying Metroid Prime, I'm playing it on my Wii and it looks really good.

Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 and Zelda Wind Waker on Gamecube also look ageless. What an stylized art style can do.

Eric2048 said:

The Kingdom hearts games.

This too, though are you sure that this pic is from the PS2 versions and not the remasters or emulated?

For me Final Fantasy IX is still gorgeous... but since 6th gen is ok, FF X and GT4 also easily qualify, even God of War 2.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Phantasmagoria.... chuckles.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Gen 4: Donkey Kong Country series, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, Sonic and Knuckles
Gen 5: Ape Escape, Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Final Fantasy IX, Super Mario 64
Gen 6: Too many to list but I will shout out Metroid Prime, Resident Evil 4 (GC), Dead or Alive 3, Ninja Gaiden, and Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence.

*pretend this is an image of Conker on Xbox*

THIS is what a beautiful sixth gen game looks like!

Hadn't heard this one mentioned yet: Far Cry Instincts on Xbox

Ah, this takes me back to the ol' Xbox vs Gamecube graphics debates haha. Good times

Yes those are 2D alphamaps, but perfectly done. 

mZuzek said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Just keep in mind that emulation can massively increase the internal resolution that those games ran at, sometimes with early 3d it can make huge differences which really aren't a case of "do the original games still look good" when no one really played say... Metroid Prime Hunters in 1080p on a DS

I mean.... the game looks great today... as long as you are increasing the resolution miles above the original games.

Yes but that's my point, I'm not really judging based off emulator screenshots. I know the ones I posted are in emulated 1080p, because it's hard to find decent screenshots that aren't, but then again the jump from 480p to 1080p isn't nearly as dramatic as whatever the DS's resolution was to 1080p. In any case, when I thought "Metroid Prime 1 & 2", they came to my mind because of how amazed I was by their looks when I played them on the Wii U, which sure has widescreen and better image quality than the AV cables of old, but it's still just 480p and it looked incredible.

Edit: also, even on the DS resolution Metroid Prime Hunters does look quite impressive. Sadly, that's the only redeeming quality about that game.

I gotta say I loved hunters on the DS, thought the controls were fantastic for a game to give you dpad movement like WASD and the touch screen aiming of a mouse along with shoulder shooting... think it was as close as you can get to KB/Mouse controls on a controller really.

It just amazes me that the rom of the DS game has such high resolution textures in it, but requires an emulator to pull them up close like that to get the most out of the game, I mean... both screenshots are coming from the same DS game file... it's incredible to consider what work Nintendo did but for it to be let down so badly by the hardware they used, makes you think what their other games could have looked like in each generation if they had gone the route of insane hardware rather than being such genius's in the field of software instead.

That said.... they strike a fine balance for me most generations! I do not mean to knock the Switch's hardware, just some food for thought though!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive