By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's first half of 2018: How bad is it?

As someone that games mostly on portables, it has been a while since I have had this much to play. So from a personal stand point I don't think it was bad at all. Bayonetta collection (which I had on Wii U but never had the time to play it), YS VIII, and replaying Hyrule Warriors (which is a significant upgrade from the 3DS version), as well as countless indie games have all been a high point for me. While we are no longer in the first half, I am currently enjoying Octopath Traveller and Captain Toad and looking forward to Okami and Monster Hunter later this month.

However, seeing how hardware sales were mostly flat, it seems like Nintendo could have really done with a big first-party hitter at the beginning of the year. Last year they did a good job of spreading out their big hitting titles, whereas this year the big first-party stuff is mostly concentrated at the end. Hopefully next year their output will be such that they can better spread out their bigger releases throughout the year.

Around the Network

It all depends on perspectives. I can see why some are upset with Switch's first half output with no big AAA title released and only Labo, Kirby, and Mario Tennis being the new Nintendo games along with a decent amount of Wii U ports. However, as we have seen in sales, games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 are benefiting from the Switch effect because they are selling at better rates than they ever had on Wii U. And, ultimately, whether people like it or not, Labo did well within Nintendo's expectations as reported and will see more content and become add-ons for past and future games moving forward so congrats to Sakaguchi, director of Splatoon 1, and his team.

Personally, I've played so much on my Switch this year, even over PS4 despite the PS4 having the God of Wars, the Monster Hunters, and the Detroits of the world. I've played Fortnite, Kirby, Paladins, Sushi Strikers, and I'm still working on Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion, and other games I've bought late in 2017. Where I am in life, I don't have time to play 24/7 and buying 10-20 games every 3 months like some are possibly doing in these forums (over exaggerated, I know). I also just got Octopath Traveler, Ys VIII, and I want to get Mario Tennis Aces sometime later. Smash, DBFZ, and Pokemon Let's Go will definitely take a lot of my time later in the year.

Could Nintendo have done better in planning their games? Sure. But it all depends on where their respective games are in terms of development. Why is Smash Bros. releasing so late in the year? Who knows, but there's possibly a reason as Sakurai is probably one who wants to get things done in a quality manner and he's one of the hardest workers in the gaming industry so who am I to question him and his team planning for a December release? Sometimes games need a little more time in the oven. That's why games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon got delayed for the PS4, things can happen. Based on what we saw from Fire Emblem Three Houses, it appears it needed more time since its a more ambitious project than what IS have developed for the franchise in the past so they rescheduled for a Spring 2019 release. Plus, Nintendo has reported that there's more to announce for the Fall and beyond.

I have too much stuff to play on the Switch rn.

Plus I still haven't stopped having fun with Kirby Star Allies, easily my third favorite Switch title after Odyssey and Zelda.

So I can't really complain.

Mar1217 said:
ARamdomGamer said:
I have too much stuff to play on the Switch rn.

Plus I still haven't stopped having fun with Kirby Star Allies, easily my third favorite Switch title after Odyssey and Zelda.

So I can't really complain.

Yup, testing combinations with the new characters from the updates is always fun ! + there's still the 3rd wave !

Now, there's also this thing going on with the stage on the Final Boss from Guest Star which seems to be growing each update weirdly enough ...

Will they do something with it ?

Not too sure, this is the first time they have updated a Kirby title like this, but given their track record, is probably going to be something very special. The changes in the final area are far too in your face to not be building up to something.

2018 was simply lack luster. Really could've done w a big AAA title in spring instead of labo. I'm anxious for the future after the announcement of a shift in strategy to obtain a more casual fan base. The last time that happened it felt like they abandoned their core audience. I wish they'd stick to a 2 title system like they did in 2017. Combine some development teams and focus on AAA titles. The wii did well until it started damaging the brand. Hope that doesn't happen again.

Around the Network

Speaking personally, I am very happy with Switch.  I already have a backlog of games I want to play, and I expect third party releases to only accelerate at this point.  Ironically of the 4 "big" games of 2017, there was only one I really wanted (Zelda).  In 2018, there are quite a few third party games I wanted/still want: DQ Builders, Darkest Dungeon, Octopath Traveler, Sonic Mania, etc....

When it comes to hardware sales this year, Nintendo has already exceeded my expectations, but that is only because I think I was the only one who accepted early on that they were going to have a really disappointing first party schedule for most of the year.  What I didn't expect is that third party games are already picking up the slack in the absence of big first party games.  Octopath is going to outsell every first party game this year that was released between January and September.  And Fortnite is arguably even bigger than that. 

These games will keep the Switch from losing momentum before the holiday season.  And really that is what third party games are supposed to do.  Fill in the gaps.  I didn't think this sort of thing would happen until next year, but third party games are already doing their job.  I can only expect that next year's third party lineup will be significantly stronger than even this.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 05 August 2018

GoOnKid said: 
  • Myamotoo: Near perfect!

Eh, I would said something like that for 2017. not for half of 2018.

In any case, in January-April period Switch lineup was definitely weaker, and first hal of year generally lacked big system seller game, but from May, and especially June and July lineup was stronger and first half eneded good, while second half of year will definitely be stronger.

I finally found some value in handheld gaming, through Octopath, I bring it to work and play it in bed sometimes, and I'm also getting Battlechasers: Nightwars for a similar experience in handheld mode. This year, the biggest games aren't as interesting to me, as I never really enjoyed the Smash games and I never cared for Pokemon at all, but the latter half is looking good overall. I haven't bought that many games just yet, I have a staggering backlog on my PC that I'm slowly clearing (playing the Mordor games right now). I want to get Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for sure, there are some worthwhile 3rd and 2nd party games being released and the Switch is my first Nintendo system since the N64, so I'm hoping for releases of more classics as well as remakes for me to enjoy.

As for the hardware situation, it's doing well, but not amazingly, which is more or less what I expected. I still have my doubts on the longevity of the Switch as a concept, I think we'll start seeing at least annual revisions, if not more, within a year or so. At least more and more users have become a bit more grounded, and outselling the Wii is no longer treated as dead certain. Q4 this year and Q1 next year will tell us all we need to know.

As for my own Switch, I hadn't used it in a long time when I bought Octopath, but the same can be said for my other consoles so that's hardly unique (heck; I still only own one 8th gen title on my Xbox One). 2018 hasn't been a terrific gaming year overall, in my opinion.

Iirc, Labo SHIPPED 1.39M, not sold

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1