By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's first half of 2018: How bad is it?

All I want from Nintendo is 4-5 new quality exclusives to land on their system a year. If they can't get me at least 4 new games a year, then I'm disappointed. I guess if we really stretch it with XC2: Torna, MHGU, Octopath, and Smash then we have four good new-ish quality exclusives for this year. I mean Torna is supposed to be a 100 hour long stand alone prequel, that also doubles as DLC, (and comes on it's own cart no less). Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is technically a port, but the 3DS was no proper home for the MH series, and this has tons of Japan exclusive DLC being added to it. Then there's Poke'mon Let's Go, which I think will be a mediocre spin off game with little appeal to hardcore fans like myself. But it stands a ghost of a chance of actually being a good game, despite being a dumbed down kids version of Poke'mon. Then there's a small chance that NMH3 will get released this year. So I'll hold off on judging 2018 until all of Nintendo's eggs have hatched.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:

• zorg1000: Ya cool and all.

Thats all you could come up with for me

I just wanted to say 'Ya' for once. You're the only person on the Internet I know who says that and I like it :D

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

RolStoppable said:
The first half of 2018 (or rather the first nine months) drives the point home how good Nintendo's strategy for 2017 was. I definitely won't say that this first half of 2018 was expected. What could be expected is that Nintendo wouldn't have two games with a Metascore of 97 in 2018, but that's not really relevant for sales.

What I expected is that Nintendo recognizes how important correct pacing of a release schedule is, where tentpole games (guaranteed to sell 5m+ lifetime and move hardware) release every 3-4 months and the spaces between are occupied by smaller titles that sell 1m+ each. And that's what was reinforced when Nintendo issued a forecast of 20m for the fiscal year ending March 2019. Then it turns out that they leave the July-September quarter without a tentpole game as well. It's as if Nintendo has already again forgotten the most basic premise of selling a console: Software sells hardware.

Nintendo has had a steady release schedule in 2018, but it's the tentpole games that get people talking about the system. There was no shortage of games in 2018, but this is a year of coasting that gets wrapped up with a one-two punch in the holiday season that is supposed to make up for all the lost momentum in the previous months. Nintendo needs to be smarter than this.

This thread seems to be more intended to be about subjectivity though, namely whether there were games interesting enough to buy or not. There was plenty to choose from, although for me personally the Nintendo games are largely uninteresting all year long. But the third party side has been steadily improving, most notably because the AAA publishers have mostly stayed clear of Switch. I think that's something that warrants more appreciation.

I wonder if they banked on Dark Souls Remastered being just that tentpole game in July. Could be, maybe, probably, probably not, maybe not, who knows. I believe this alongside Fortnite and Octopath Traveler sounded enough on paper to hit the homerun in July.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

I mean, we still need to see the next Direct set probably this month before making any final statement. And also we just got PQ2 snnounced for November in Japan which is good to drive some sales on the 3DS meanwhile ;)

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

GoOnKid said:

I wonder if they banked on Dark Souls Remastered being just that tentpole game in July. Could be, maybe, probably, probably not, maybe not, who knows. I believe this alongside Fortnite and Octopath Traveler sounded enough on paper to hit the homerun in July.

While Nintendo can be pretty stupid, I doubt that they are so stupid to consider Dark Souls a big deal.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

my response in the OP is actually pretty accurate

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

As someone that games mostly on portables, it has been a while since I have had this much to play. So from a personal stand point I don't think it was bad at all. Bayonetta collection (which I had on Wii U but never had the time to play it), YS VIII, and replaying Hyrule Warriors (which is a significant upgrade from the 3DS version), as well as countless indie games have all been a high point for me. While we are no longer in the first half, I am currently enjoying Octopath Traveller and Captain Toad and looking forward to Okami and Monster Hunter later this month.

However, seeing how hardware sales were mostly flat, it seems like Nintendo could have really done with a big first-party hitter at the beginning of the year. Last year they did a good job of spreading out their big hitting titles, whereas this year the big first-party stuff is mostly concentrated at the end. Hopefully next year their output will be such that they can better spread out their bigger releases throughout the year.

It all depends on perspectives. I can see why some are upset with Switch's first half output with no big AAA title released and only Labo, Kirby, and Mario Tennis being the new Nintendo games along with a decent amount of Wii U ports. However, as we have seen in sales, games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 are benefiting from the Switch effect because they are selling at better rates than they ever had on Wii U. And, ultimately, whether people like it or not, Labo did well within Nintendo's expectations as reported and will see more content and become add-ons for past and future games moving forward so congrats to Sakaguchi, director of Splatoon 1, and his team.

Personally, I've played so much on my Switch this year, even over PS4 despite the PS4 having the God of Wars, the Monster Hunters, and the Detroits of the world. I've played Fortnite, Kirby, Paladins, Sushi Strikers, and I'm still working on Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion, and other games I've bought late in 2017. Where I am in life, I don't have time to play 24/7 and buying 10-20 games every 3 months like some are possibly doing in these forums (over exaggerated, I know). I also just got Octopath Traveler, Ys VIII, and I want to get Mario Tennis Aces sometime later. Smash, DBFZ, and Pokemon Let's Go will definitely take a lot of my time later in the year.

Could Nintendo have done better in planning their games? Sure. But it all depends on where their respective games are in terms of development. Why is Smash Bros. releasing so late in the year? Who knows, but there's possibly a reason as Sakurai is probably one who wants to get things done in a quality manner and he's one of the hardest workers in the gaming industry so who am I to question him and his team planning for a December release? Sometimes games need a little more time in the oven. That's why games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon got delayed for the PS4, things can happen. Based on what we saw from Fire Emblem Three Houses, it appears it needed more time since its a more ambitious project than what IS have developed for the franchise in the past so they rescheduled for a Spring 2019 release. Plus, Nintendo has reported that there's more to announce for the Fall and beyond.

I have too much stuff to play on the Switch rn.

Plus I still haven't stopped having fun with Kirby Star Allies, easily my third favorite Switch title after Odyssey and Zelda.

So I can't really complain.

ARamdomGamer said:
I have too much stuff to play on the Switch rn.

Plus I still haven't stopped having fun with Kirby Star Allies, easily my third favorite Switch title after Odyssey and Zelda.

So I can't really complain.

Yup, testing combinations with the new characters from the updates is always fun ! + there's still the 3rd wave !

Now, there's also this thing going on with the stage on the Final Boss from Guest Star which seems to be growing each update weirdly enough ...

Will they do something with it ?

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909