By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's first half of 2018: How bad is it?

The first half of 2018 was not as well supported as many people hoped coming off of last year bombastic ride.

Really, Nintendo could have pushed for some 2017 titles/rushed some late 2018 games to launch in April/May 2018, since the Nintendo Switch was sold out most of last year anyway.

Last year was like they maxed out the sales they actually had Supply for, and were just wasting their Plus Demand Up tokens (kept adding more good games in 2017), when they could have been saving those for the dry patch that was January through May.

I think the Switch’s momentum was fine for 3 month, but April and May really needed bigger boosting software than it received.

That said, the hard slowdown was thankfully short lived. June and July have really turned things around momentum wise for the Nintendo Switch, due to more desirable games releasing on the system (Nintendo even commented on this change of momentum of June’s hardware sales).

(Personally, I will probably get at least 10 times as many games during June - December this year compared to the dry times that were January - May this year)

I think the lineup for August through December is actually really really good (though Nintendo hasn’t announced everything just yet), and Nintendo must think so to, since they haven’t changed their hardware forecasts.

I just think, if they had spread out the releases better, the momentum into the holidays would have been much stronger, and overall would have had sold more hardware during April through September (Especially if Smash Ultimate was a September title).

Either way, it will be interesting to see what other games get announce between now and New Years.

Around the Network

I dont see any issue with the lineup for the first half of the year except that it lacked a really big system seller but in terns of quality, quantity & diversity its been pretty good.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

The first half of 2018 (or rather the first nine months) drives the point home how good Nintendo's strategy for 2017 was. I definitely won't say that this first half of 2018 was expected. What could be expected is that Nintendo wouldn't have two games with a Metascore of 97 in 2018, but that's not really relevant for sales.

What I expected is that Nintendo recognizes how important correct pacing of a release schedule is, where tentpole games (guaranteed to sell 5m+ lifetime and move hardware) release every 3-4 months and the spaces between are occupied by smaller titles that sell 1m+ each. And that's what was reinforced when Nintendo issued a forecast of 20m for the fiscal year ending March 2019. Then it turns out that they leave the July-September quarter without a tentpole game as well. It's as if Nintendo has already again forgotten the most basic premise of selling a console: Software sells hardware.

Nintendo has had a steady release schedule in 2018, but it's the tentpole games that get people talking about the system. There was no shortage of games in 2018, but this is a year of coasting that gets wrapped up with a one-two punch in the holiday season that is supposed to make up for all the lost momentum in the previous months. Nintendo needs to be smarter than this.

This thread seems to be more intended to be about subjectivity though, namely whether there were games interesting enough to buy or not. There was plenty to choose from, although for me personally the Nintendo games are largely uninteresting all year long. But the third party side has been steadily improving, most notably because the AAA publishers have mostly stayed clear of Switch. I think that's something that warrants more appreciation.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Ideally I think Nintendo may want to try and aim for one big title every 6 months at minimum. Is it hard? Sure, but no one said this was supposed to be easy.

1H 2019: Animal Crossing Switch (+ Fire Emblem)
2H 2019: Pokemon Gen 8 (+ Mario Maker Switch)

1H 2020: Mario Odyssey 2 + Switch Pro Model (+ Metroid Prime 4)
2H 2020: Zelda: BOTW2 (+ Luigi's Mansion 3)

1H 2021: Donkey Kong Country 3D platformer (+ Paper Mario Switch)
2H 2021: 2D Super Mario Bros. (+ Xenoblade Next)

Then ideally you would also have one smaller scale seller, but something still significant per half too, like Fire Emblem to go with Animal Crossing, Mario Maker with Pokemon Gen 8, Luigi's Mansion 3 to go with Zelda: BOTW2, etc. etc. Of course you have more games overall, but getting a 1/2 punch every 6 months is a decent way to ensure that you're not losing too much momentum. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 04 August 2018

So basically, what we got since january;

-Bayonetta 1+2 (92 on Metacritic, one of the greatest games of this generation)
-Kirby Star Allies
-Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
-Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
-Mario Tennis Aces
-Fortnite (one of the biggest, if the biggest, game of the year)
-South Park 2
-Wolfenstein II
-Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (one of the biggest ps4 games of last year)
-Octopath Traveler
-Paladins
-Naruto Ninja Ultimate Storm Trilogy
-Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
-Megaman Collection
-Dragon Quest Builders

And here what we'll got 'til the end of the year:

-Dragon Ball FighterZ (the greatest DB game of the generation so far)
-Dark Souls Remastered
-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG
-Super Smash Bros Ultimate
-Fifa 19
-NBA 2K19
-Megaman 11
-Monster Hunter Ultimate

And I forgot a lot of games on that list.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem to be a dry spell for me.

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

Around the Network

Personally I think this first half was pretty good for me.
1st, the lack of huge games allowed me to play more of the ones released in 2017 and allowed me to complete a ton of games.
2nd, I had a game to play just about every month but April. (For me)
Jan was Rocket League (physical) and Lost Sphear
Feb was Bayonetta 1+2
March was Attack on Titan 2 and Atelier Lydie And Suelle.

and then May was Battle Chasers Nightwar (which I highly recommend) and Yonder. 

I also purchased a large variety of indie games such as Mulaka and Fe.

Now, for the average gamer, none of those games would probably appeal to them. However, for me it was great. And after the end of June, I’ve just been flooded with games and now I feel like I have too many to play.
In just June was Fortnite, Paladins, Minecraft (physical) Ys VIII, Wolfenstein 2 And Crash bandicoot, with Shining Resonance and Octopath a few weeks away. Thankfully there’s a little break before Monster Hunter but still.

Last edited by Paatar - on 04 August 2018

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

SKMBlake said:

-Kirby Star Allies
-Mario Tennis Aces
-South Park 2
-Wolfenstein II
-Octopath Traveler
-Paladins
-Megaman Collection
-Dragon Quest Builders

-Dark Souls Remastered
-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG
-Fifa 19
-NBA 2K19
-Megaman 11
-Monster Hunter Ultimate

-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG

These are the 3 big strategical nuke strike of the year for the Switch.
I don't know but maybe it would have been a little better strategy to release one of these 3 somewhere between March and August. Just to maintain a higher momentum.
Between Kirby and Mario Party we have a dangerous big hole for the health of the console.

Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

Amnesia said:
SKMBlake said:

-Kirby Star Allies
-Mario Tennis Aces
-South Park 2
-Wolfenstein II
-Octopath Traveler
-Paladins
-Megaman Collection
-Dragon Quest Builders

-Dark Souls Remastered
-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG
-Fifa 19
-NBA 2K19
-Megaman 11
-Monster Hunter Ultimate

-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG

These are the 3 big pieces of the year for the Switch.
I don't know but maybe it would have been a little better strategy to release one of these 3 somewhere between March and August. Just to maintain a higher momentum.
Between Kirby and Mario Party we have a dangerous big hole for the health of the console.

You can't make a statement based on your opinion 

"Quagmire, are you the type of guy who takes 'no' for an answer ?"
"My lawyer doesn't allow me to answer that question"

PSN ID: skmblake | Feel free to add me

SKMBlake said:
Amnesia said:

-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG

These are the 3 big pieces of the year for the Switch.

You can't make a statement based on your opinion 

" I don't know but maybe it would (...)"

Current PB on Secret of Mana remake : 2h27 (2nd)
Strongest worldwide achievement on TGM : 1st European S13 rank
Fastest TGM3 MASTER in Europe : rank Master V in 5min10
Western record on TGM3 EASY : 1484
Current PB on Power Ranger (Game Gear) : 10min06 (World Record)

Non-geek activity : ThermalHungary

The Switch *is* killing it. Don't let Don know.