By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's first half of 2018: How bad is it?

So basically, what we got since january;

-Bayonetta 1+2 (92 on Metacritic, one of the greatest games of this generation)
-Kirby Star Allies
-Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
-Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
-Mario Tennis Aces
-Fortnite (one of the biggest, if the biggest, game of the year)
-South Park 2
-Wolfenstein II
-Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Trilogy (one of the biggest ps4 games of last year)
-Octopath Traveler
-Paladins
-Naruto Ninja Ultimate Storm Trilogy
-Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
-Megaman Collection
-Dragon Quest Builders

And here what we'll got 'til the end of the year:

-Dragon Ball FighterZ (the greatest DB game of the generation so far)
-Dark Souls Remastered
-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG
-Super Smash Bros Ultimate
-Fifa 19
-NBA 2K19
-Megaman 11
-Monster Hunter Ultimate

And I forgot a lot of games on that list.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem to be a dry spell for me.

Around the Network

Personally I think this first half was pretty good for me.
1st, the lack of huge games allowed me to play more of the ones released in 2017 and allowed me to complete a ton of games.
2nd, I had a game to play just about every month but April. (For me)
Jan was Rocket League (physical) and Lost Sphear
Feb was Bayonetta 1+2
March was Attack on Titan 2 and Atelier Lydie And Suelle.

and then May was Battle Chasers Nightwar (which I highly recommend) and Yonder. 

I also purchased a large variety of indie games such as Mulaka and Fe.

Now, for the average gamer, none of those games would probably appeal to them. However, for me it was great. And after the end of June, I’ve just been flooded with games and now I feel like I have too many to play.
In just June was Fortnite, Paladins, Minecraft (physical) Ys VIII, Wolfenstein 2 And Crash bandicoot, with Shining Resonance and Octopath a few weeks away. Thankfully there’s a little break before Monster Hunter but still.

Last edited by Paatar - on 04 August 2018

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

SKMBlake said:

-Kirby Star Allies
-Mario Tennis Aces
-South Park 2
-Wolfenstein II
-Octopath Traveler
-Paladins
-Megaman Collection
-Dragon Quest Builders

-Dark Souls Remastered
-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG
-Fifa 19
-NBA 2K19
-Megaman 11
-Monster Hunter Ultimate

-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG

These are the 3 big strategical nuke strike of the year for the Switch.
I don't know but maybe it would have been a little better strategy to release one of these 3 somewhere between March and August. Just to maintain a higher momentum.
Between Kirby and Mario Party we have a dangerous big hole for the health of the console.

Amnesia said:
SKMBlake said:

-Kirby Star Allies
-Mario Tennis Aces
-South Park 2
-Wolfenstein II
-Octopath Traveler
-Paladins
-Megaman Collection
-Dragon Quest Builders

-Dark Souls Remastered
-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG
-Fifa 19
-NBA 2K19
-Megaman 11
-Monster Hunter Ultimate

-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG

These are the 3 big pieces of the year for the Switch.
I don't know but maybe it would have been a little better strategy to release one of these 3 somewhere between March and August. Just to maintain a higher momentum.
Between Kirby and Mario Party we have a dangerous big hole for the health of the console.

You can't make a statement based on your opinion 

SKMBlake said:
Amnesia said:

-Super Mario Party
-Pokémon RPG

These are the 3 big pieces of the year for the Switch.

You can't make a statement based on your opinion 

" I don't know but maybe it would (...)"

Around the Network

The Switch *is* killing it. Don't let Don know.

All I want from Nintendo is 4-5 new quality exclusives to land on their system a year. If they can't get me at least 4 new games a year, then I'm disappointed. I guess if we really stretch it with XC2: Torna, MHGU, Octopath, and Smash then we have four good new-ish quality exclusives for this year. I mean Torna is supposed to be a 100 hour long stand alone prequel, that also doubles as DLC, (and comes on it's own cart no less). Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is technically a port, but the 3DS was no proper home for the MH series, and this has tons of Japan exclusive DLC being added to it. Then there's Poke'mon Let's Go, which I think will be a mediocre spin off game with little appeal to hardcore fans like myself. But it stands a ghost of a chance of actually being a good game, despite being a dumbed down kids version of Poke'mon. Then there's a small chance that NMH3 will get released this year. So I'll hold off on judging 2018 until all of Nintendo's eggs have hatched.

zorg1000 said:

• zorg1000: Ya cool and all.

Thats all you could come up with for me

I just wanted to say 'Ya' for once. You're the only person on the Internet I know who says that and I like it :D

RolStoppable said:
The first half of 2018 (or rather the first nine months) drives the point home how good Nintendo's strategy for 2017 was. I definitely won't say that this first half of 2018 was expected. What could be expected is that Nintendo wouldn't have two games with a Metascore of 97 in 2018, but that's not really relevant for sales.

What I expected is that Nintendo recognizes how important correct pacing of a release schedule is, where tentpole games (guaranteed to sell 5m+ lifetime and move hardware) release every 3-4 months and the spaces between are occupied by smaller titles that sell 1m+ each. And that's what was reinforced when Nintendo issued a forecast of 20m for the fiscal year ending March 2019. Then it turns out that they leave the July-September quarter without a tentpole game as well. It's as if Nintendo has already again forgotten the most basic premise of selling a console: Software sells hardware.

Nintendo has had a steady release schedule in 2018, but it's the tentpole games that get people talking about the system. There was no shortage of games in 2018, but this is a year of coasting that gets wrapped up with a one-two punch in the holiday season that is supposed to make up for all the lost momentum in the previous months. Nintendo needs to be smarter than this.

This thread seems to be more intended to be about subjectivity though, namely whether there were games interesting enough to buy or not. There was plenty to choose from, although for me personally the Nintendo games are largely uninteresting all year long. But the third party side has been steadily improving, most notably because the AAA publishers have mostly stayed clear of Switch. I think that's something that warrants more appreciation.

I wonder if they banked on Dark Souls Remastered being just that tentpole game in July. Could be, maybe, probably, probably not, maybe not, who knows. I believe this alongside Fortnite and Octopath Traveler sounded enough on paper to hit the homerun in July.

my response in the OP is actually pretty accurate

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick